Model Cars Magazine Forum

Will we ever see the Monogram S-10 again?

Jim H.

12 hours ago, Jordan White said:

Scale-wise, it would need to be the Oldsmobile since the rest of the G-Body kits are 1/24 while the S10 is 1/25 (assuming they are true to scale).

the unit out of the GN/GNX fits almost perfectly only the swaybar brackets don’t meet the frame everything else lines up to the frame and track width with the kit supplied (the incorrect 4wd) wheels looks good   don’t have an oldsmobile kit to yank the suspension unit out of it, assuming scale accuracy of the olds, would be just slightly too narrow, it’s piece may work better with a 2wd appropriate wheel as a result 

On 12/4/2020 at 7:41 PM, Mark said:

MPC Pontiac Fiero kits (the early ones, at least) had an Iron Duke engine.  As I understand, the transverse (Fiero/X-car) version had a different block from the inline engine cars, so some rework is in order.  I'd assume all of the external items (manifolds, pulleys) will need work too.

I think that's what I'll be using. Modification is definitely going to be done, but it's a starting point at least. :P 

On 12/4/2020 at 7:59 PM, WGaree said:

the unit out of the GN/GNX fits almost perfectly only the swaybar brackets don’t meet the frame everything else lines up to the frame 

On 12/4/2020 at 8:17 PM, Jordan White said:

Good to know. Yeah the 2wd wheels have a deeper offset compared to the 4wd wheels, so perhaps the Olds suspension will still be more accurate.

If someone who has both the 1/25 Revell '84 Olds Cutlass and the S-10 could test fit and post the results, it would be appreciated.

that fits almost exactly like the supposedly larger GN/GNX unit  only the control arms don’t fit up to the rails as nicely, they look more size correct not as elongated as the GN unit, the “spring” lumps and the hub width are about the same and the detail is much better.  

54 minutes ago, WGaree said:

that fits almost exactly like the supposedly larger GN/GNX unit  only the control arms don’t fit up to the rails as nicely, they look more size correct not as elongated as the GN unit, the “spring” lumps and the hub width are about the same and the detail is much better.  

Despite the scale difference, the '84 Olds appeared to still be heavily based upon the earlier 1/24 Monogram GN/Monte Carlo kit design.

The Monogram S-10 kit's 2WD upper control arms are well, poor, to be kind, so I was hoping the 1/25 Olds Cutlass parts'd be an upgrade there, at least.

Below are several shots of the original Monogram S-10 issue (kit #2434, in aqua colored plastic) compared to the same parts from the 1/25 AMT '95 Chevy S-10 SS/LS kit, molded in gray. The AMT crossmember has some vertical pieces as part of the crossmember which don't quite fit inside the Monogram kit's frame rails, but they can be flexed, or thinned if one so desired. I think the Monogram LCAs look much crisper and better defined, though, despite being molded as one with the crossmember.

S107.thumb.jpg.85d9e2c66aa06c449e6e45a6d94c9291.jpg

S105.thumb.jpg.c27c8998dec90fc01b8b3265e073c44c.jpg

S103.jpg.09687e7a87fed59d43e11b7802a65611.jpg

S106.jpg.2a690bd6fa58adf1f8c4846cbd246f20.jpg

S104.jpg.cf613c5e80d03c5e72904444792a9b66.jpg

S102.thumb.jpg.92831b8b340e59b8c6a87ba9536ed0b2.jpg

S101.jpg.7997bdd8e06bd4ed8e8a9e20e2e6cc66.jpg

the cutlass unit could be modified, looking at the pictures posted,  by cutting  the swaybar/steering off the control arms cut the forward bit off the crossmember then narrow the crossmember and reattach the swaybar/steering  

0FD8384F-A7B1-4E72-8013-835B9EC0C264.jpeg

Looks like there are a couple of solutions for this dilemma-

1. Find the original kit and use the stock front end from it.

2. Hope someone can cast a copy of the original or make a 3D print of it.

3. Get the AMT 96 S-10 or Sonoma kit and use the chassis from it.

On 12/9/2020 at 11:40 AM, Casey said:

We've got options. ?

The GM Photostore just posted this on their facebook page. Good tail light bezel/trim detailing reference at least:

S10s.jpg.82aa96c775c9b94a282116e0441b3b03.jpg

That’s an amazing pic! I have a shop in an old GM plant , and my floor has this spot where the line changes from overhead to floor. So neat to see what it used to be !! 

268E47E2-1F51-489A-BE38-07D3A3AFFE28.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/24/2020 at 2:27 AM, Luc Janssens said:

Dunno about you guys, but personally I won't mind them tooling up new and maybe some retooling of parts of this kit to create this.....

http://testdrivejunkie.com/wp-content/uploads/1989-chevrolet-baja2-620x350.jpg

Thank You for the idea for my next model project. I have the decals for one of these. I’m going to be doing a scale 3” lift on mine with either 31’s or do cut outs and do 35’s. Ray’s Kits has the decals, and where I got mine.

I’ll be calling my project S10 Baja.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Saltie Olds said:

Thank You for the idea for my next model project. I have the decals for one of these. I’m going to be doing a scale 3” lift on mine with either 31’s or do cut outs and do 35’s. Ray’s Kits has the decals, and where I got mine.

I'll be looking forward to seeing that!  (I really need to get back to my Marlboro Syclone!)

On 6/27/2022 at 9:25 AM, Saltie Olds said:

I’ve started working on my S10 Baja project. Just keep a look out in WIP for pickup trucks.

• 5 months later...
On 12/9/2020 at 2:54 PM, mikemodeler said:

Looks like there are a couple of solutions for this dilemma-

1. Find the original kit and use the stock front end from it.

2. Hope someone can cast a copy of the original or make a 3D print of it.

3. Get the AMT 96 S-10 or Sonoma kit and use the chassis from it.

I chose option 3, have yet to start it...maybe over winter..

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/8/2020 at 2:05 AM, W-409 said:

I think that's what I'll be using. Modification is definitely going to be done, but it's a starting point at least. :P 

If you want to make a cool hot rod version of the old GM four cylinder engine find one of the Mickey Thompson Attempt I kits and use the engine and speed equipment from the four cylinder. I'm going to use that engine in an AMT '29 A Roadster with a powerglide behind it.