Model Cars Magazine Forum

1934 Ford

Cpt Tuttle

image.png.bfcbc999a35d14699b61025dd5507275.png
image.png.941c83bdc927eb368a452d8ad3345a2a.png

Some years ago I saw this beautiful 34 and my first thought was that I had to build something similar. A carbon copy is not what I am aiming for, but rather a model inspired by this car.

Unfortunately, the Thom Taylor version of the Monogram convertible is all that I have, not the best starting point but I still think that it is possible to save it. The hardest part seems to be to find some hood sides from an earlier version, I really don't like the ones in the kit and want some stock louvers.... But they appear to be rare in Sweden.

I'm in the stage of collecting parts and planning now but since my builders block went away, I probably start very soon anyway.

This would be cool. And I don’t think that Tom Taylor’s vert is a bad starting point. All you need  is a Revell ‘32 Ford sedan kit, that you can graft the louvers from. It will also supply you with a much nicer and more realistic suspension for your project and a choice of two very nice engines. If you find a set of wheels and tires from the original Revell ‘32 Roadster, you’ll end up with the rake of the car on your picture too. 

Mattias, if you can dig up a copy of the AMT 36 roadster/three window coupe kit, the roadster cowl and door tops can be grafted onto the Monogram 34 cabriolet body quite effortlessly and you will then have the roadster contours that you desire.  It will also give you a believable windshield frame.  The 34 and 36  Ford windshield posts are remarkably similar, it is just that the 36 ones are a bit bigger in all dimensions.  In this case, the difference between 1/24 and 1/25 works in your favour.  The cabriolet details around the waistline are quite clunky by comparison. I have done this conversion but unfortunately wont be able to shoot a photo for a couple of weeks.  Trust me, it works!

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alan barton
extra info

DSC01857.JPG.75d14d35da7ac52f427e8171cee7f89f.JPG

Grafted on the 36 parts, yeah, you're right, they are a great fit indeed. It turned out that the hood was a bit long and wide, so by carving a bit in the back I made it fit against the 36 cowl. Thank you very much for the tip, I bought a giant pile of 36 parts some years ago, but this idea never struck me!

DSC01854.JPG.c832df04ecaa7fa6e0bcdf2cf5689168.JPG

The 4 bar suspension was missing from this kit so I found one in the parts box, a bit long rods maybe but they will work anyway I guess. Though they were gold (yuk) so they got some Testors chrome silver.

DSC01855.JPG.3219b8a63bc731c9ac082311987297cc.JPG

Wheels from AMT 41 Ford, rear tyres from the kit since I could not find any better ones actually, front tyres unknown from the parts box....

On 11/8/2019 at 5:10 PM, alan barton said:

Mattias, if you can dig up a copy of the AMT 36 roadster/three window coupe kit, the roadster cowl and door tops can be grafted onto the Monogram 34 cabriolet body quite effortlessly and you will then have the roadster contours that you desire.  It will also give you a believable windshield frame.  The 34 and 36  Ford windshield posts are remarkably similar, it is just that the 36 ones are a bit bigger in all dimensions.  In this case, the difference between 1/24 and 1/25 works in your favour.  The cabriolet details around the waistline are quite clunky by comparison. I have done this conversion but unfortunately wont be able to shoot a photo for a couple of weeks.  Trust me, it works!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks for this info. I've looked at the Thom Taylor kit a ton of times since it was released years ago. I always looked at that cabriolet body and threw it right back in the box. I just couldn't get excited about that body style. Now I have ideas forming in my brain with the easy conversion idea you provided. Thanks!

Glad to be of help, Mattias and Craig.  I'm sure that everyone on this forum has had at least one "Now why didn't I think of that ?" moment while browsing these posts.  Happy to be the guy providing the inspiration for once!

Taking it a step further ( and I haven't yet) I guess you could graft the 36 door tops to the 34 cabriolet cowl top and  with a bit of filling and sanding you would get the correct door shape plus a positive fit for the hood.  So many ideas, so little time!

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alan barton

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2020 at 7:02 AM, Cpt Tuttle said:

DSC02052.JPG.d49976f5b2b84803ee056cd30cc4a209.JPG
Starting to look more like a nice hot rod now, and less like a bunch of boring plastic parts, I guess..... Yeah, just a mock up, but still.

Before you get too far on that hood,  shouldn't the grille slope back a little more? Looks too vertical too me.