Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Greg Wann

58 chevy wagon

Recommended Posts

One of the guys that is helping me in the shop has this 58 Chevy wagon ready for the mold making process.

58 chevy wagon 1.jpg

58 chevy wagon 2.jpg

58 chevy wagon 3.jpg

58 chevy wagon 4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't Jimmy Flintstone still offer this one?

Or are you copying the Flintstone body?

 

 

Flintstone '58 Sedan Delivery

image.png.e397be60f0dc6310e7118b1f3f9f6f74.png

 

 

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I don't know the bodies origins, My helper does not either.  He wants copies so he can use the roof lines and other areas of this body for some other custom builds he is designing.  He is one of our crazy car builders in our local club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well if it's someone else's work, you're copying it, and it certainly is one of Jimmy's bodies. Pleading ignorance doesn't make it ok. Took all of 30 seconds to Google "1/25 1958 Chevy sedan delivery" and his was one of the first to show up. His stuff is priced low enough that someone shouldn't have to resort to this, nice move.  Stopping by his shop tomorrow, I'll be sure to show this thread to him.

Edited by Phirewriter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny how that goes , aint it , I have the same '58 Chevy body in my hand right now. On the inter side drivers door it says  "Team R&R 1994"

Bought it from Ray himself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ray was a notorious re-caster, so that doesn't mean too much. The guy who mastered that body is a good friend, he's been doing work for Jimmy as long as I can remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Greg Wann said:

Honestly, I don't know the bodies origins, My helper does not either.  He wants copies so he can use the roof lines and other areas of this body for some other custom builds he is designing.  He is one of our crazy car builders in our local club.


Yeah, I think in the interest of appearances, I would not offer to sell any of these.

I suppose if you're casting them for your own use, it's not much different than re-casting other parts, but personally, I wouldn't want to be the guy who is plagiarizing other peoples work for profit.

 

Just my opinion.

 

 

Steve

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being Halloween and all , maybe I'll have a seance and summon Rays ghost ....because he told me about others re casting his stuff 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He nor I  have any intention of producing copies to sell.  Just wanting roofs and other parts for his other custom designs.  The body is the only part he got in a box of other unwanted model parts and bodies.

Edited by Greg Wann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:


Yeah, I think in the interest of appearances, I would not offer to sell any of these.

I suppose if you're casting them for your own use, it's not much different than re-casting other parts, but personally, I wouldn't want to be the guy who is plagiarizing other peoples work for profit.

 

Just my opinion.

 

 

Steve

 

Creating original promo model parts into resin copies is how Modelhaus and others have started.  Funny how everybody is crying in there glue that they are no longer in business and there stuff goes for crazy money now.  There is a guy named Bob Zetterman who tells how he helped Don and Carol  by giving them parts to practice with and get the business started.  Bob is an active Promo collector and rebuilder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greg Wann said:

Creating original promo model parts into resin copies is how Modelhaus and others have started.  Funny how everybody is crying in there glue that they are no longer in business and there stuff goes for crazy money now.  There is a guy named Bob Zetterman who tells how he helped Don and Carol  by giving them parts to practice with and get the business started.  Bob is an active Promo collector and rebuilder.

There is a bit of a difference in recreating long gone original kit parts and copying bodies or parts that are still available from the original designer.

I'm not saying that it is right or wrong, but I could understand how the individual who created the body and is currently offering them would be a little T'd off if someone was casting copies of their creation.

 

 

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What he said, this BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH is the main resin i stopped casting. will see how long it takes for some one to do this w/ one of my bodys. it funny how thy never seem to know where they got the body from.

Edited by Freeman Cars
need to post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

Well if it's someone else's work, you're copying it, and it certainly is one of Jimmy's bodies. Pleading ignorance doesn't make it ok. Took all of 30 seconds to Google "1/25 1958 Chevy sedan delivery" and his was one of the first to show up. His stuff is priced low enough that someone shouldn't have to resort to this, nice move.  Stopping by his shop tomorrow, I'll be sure to show this thread to him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I 💗 this kind of thread!

It's weird how it's okay to copy the work of corporations and the employees who worked for them but that it's somehow objectionable if someone copies something that someone else first copied from the original creator/corporation. Almost all resin products are thievery. Why would anyone   expect to see honor among thieves?

All the resin parts i have ever bought could fit into a small thimble. I like it that way.

 

Edited by Slick Shifter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got the Flintstone body; whoever made the master must have put quite a bit of work into combining a wagon promo (which would need to be straightened and widened) with an Impala front clip and changing the body from four-door to two-door.

I'll be fixing the side panels (they're indented way too deep) and cutting a jamb line at the bottom of the tailgate. Greg, did you have to do a bunch of sanding on the body to get rid of the pebbly finish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Slick Shifter said:

I 💗 this kind of thread!

It's weird how it's okay to copy the work of corporations and the employees who worked for them but that it's somehow objectionable if someone copies something that someone else first copied from the original creator/corporation. Almost all resin products are thievery. Why would anyone   expect to see honor among thieves?

All the resin parts i have ever bought could fit into a small thimble. I like it that way.

 

I completely agree with you, I'm sure most if none of the re casters have legal consent from the auto industry to reproduce any part of their work.

The credit goes to the original desingers who crafted promos and kits by hand from scratch.

Edited by 64SS350

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand the sentiment concerning the copying of other's resin bodies. Didn't Greg state that he was copying this body for a friend for his personal use and not for commercial resale? 

Besides the original origin of this body was from All American Resin. How do I know? I built one decades ago. R& R copied AAR's work, and I cannot speak for Jimmy Flintstone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I look at it this way.

The kit makers could really care less if someone is casting a copy of a 50 year old kit, or parts of it, when these kits will almost certainly never be released again.

Does the creator of the AMT 1958 Ford Fairlane 500, ( who is likely dead by now) really give a hoot that Modelhaus was copying their kit?

Probably not.

Nobody is casting direct copies of the Revell 1968 Chevelle.

 

On the other hand, when someone like Paul Hettick puts countless hours into a resin creation that has never been done in plastic, have the right to be pissed off when someone buys one of his creations that he is currently selling and copies it directly?

I think that's reasonable.

I can't say who the original caster who created this '58 sedan delivery is, but it is still a slippery slope in my view.

The optics are not good.

 

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I look at it this way.

The kit makers could really care less if someone is casting a copy of a 50 year old kit, or parts of it, when these kits will almost certainly never be released again.

Does the creator of the AMT 1958 Ford Fairlane 500, ( who is likely dead by now) really give a hoot that Modelhaus was copying their kit?

Probably not.

Nobody is casting direct copies of the Revell 1968 Chevelle.

On the other hand, when someone like Paul Hettick puts countless hours into a resin creation that has never been done in plastic, have the right to be pissed off when someone buys one of his creations that he is currently selling and copies it directly?

I think that's reasonable.

I can't say who the original caster who created this '58 sedan delivery is, but it is still a slippery slope in my view.

I'm agreeing with Steve on some of this and adding to some of it...

Modelhaus and other prime casters had working agreements with the model companies.  Modelhaus actually provided manufacturers with resin kits to do design proposals for the new versions of some kits. At least one Modelhaus model appears on an AMT box. Some of the aftermarket does indeed have auto manufacturers licensing, including decal makers like Slixx.

In fact, manufacturers have given pre-production models to resin casters to create variations of that kit. For every body a caster sells, the manufacturer sells a kit to build it on! For those of you who think these are all big corporations, it comes down to a handful of people.  In fact many of the spokespersons for model companies personally know the main casters.  I know all of them on both sides.

I agree that masters like Paul Hettick and Dwayne Lavierre's work should not be copied because these are original works. There are threads by Dwayne here on this board that show the step by step work and rework done to produce the '89-91 Crown Vic. You have to appreciate and honor that work.

The original caster of the '58 sedan delivery was indeed Art Anderson of All American.  He owned a 1:1 of the car and based it on that.

As far as Tom's casting a few copies for personal use, that indeed it for his helpers personal use without intent of profit.  Irony is that if indeed they were aware they could buy those bodies from Jimmy for $10-20 each, that would've been cheaper than creating an new mold!  So leave it alone.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Modelhaus and other prime casters had working agreements with the model companies.  Modelhaus actually provided manufacturers with resin kits to do design proposals for the new versions of some kits. At least one Modelhaus model appears on an AMT box. Some of the aftermarket does indeed have auto manufacturers licensing, including decal makers like Slixx.

In fact, manufacturers have given pre-production models to resin casters to create variations of that kit. For every body a caster sells, the manufacturer sells a kit to build it on! For those of you who think these are all big corporations, it comes down to a handful of people.  In fact many of the spokespersons for model companies personally know the main casters.  I know all of them on both sides.

I don't believe one speck of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great. Now, provide evidence to dispute what Tom posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Yeah, right? :D

 

 

 

Steve

The silence is deafening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...