Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan Mercedes

#1 model citizen

4 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

No kidding.  I look at something like the coil springs on the Turbine Car, and I'm boggled at how they did that.   They were like the Stradivarius of injection moulding.

You know what killed them....the fact that Amt and Mpc could sell their promo's cheaper.

Edited by Luc Janssens

14 hours ago, peekay said:

Excellent work!

(Foiling the trim on this model is a real challenge but you mastered it. Impressive.)

Thanks, Peter. This was actually my 1st attempt at foiling. The crisp molding probably helped. I remembered being surprised at how much it took and trying to figure out to do the corners on the fenders.

9 hours ago, #1 model citizen said:

Thanks, Peter. This was actually my 1st attempt at foiling. The crisp molding probably helped. I remembered being surprised at how much it took and trying to figure out to do the corners on the fenders.

Wow! I practiced foiling for 30 years on easier models before tackling this one.

Very, very nice. The paint on the wheel caps is really good, and a detail like the paint in the steering wheel spokes really makes it. Johan also did a superb hardtop version of the kit, a 1935 500K roadster limousine.

https://www.favcars.com/wallpapers-mercedes-benz-500k-roadster-limousine-1935-260025

Edited by sjordan2

On 11/2/2019 at 10:18 AM, sjordan2 said:

Very, very nice. The paint on the wheel caps is really good, and a detail like the paint in the steering wheel spokes really makes it. Johan also did a superb hardtop version of the kit, a 1935 500K roadster limousine.

https://www.favcars.com/wallpapers-mercedes-benz-500k-roadster-limousine-1935-260025

Thanks, Skip. I had that kit molded in a suburb dark red/maroon, but sold it. It would have polished out nicely instead of painting. I would kinda like to have it back...?

11 hours ago, #1 model citizen said:

Thanks, Skip. I had that kit molded in a suburb dark red/maroon, but sold it. It would have polished out nicely instead of painting. I would kinda like to have it back...?

That was my plan. The molded color is perfect, with few or any visible mold lines. Lots of these kits are available for low prices on eBay— however, the maroon Gold Cup version in the original box with full art coverage on the top is the one to get. Avoid the reissue with a white border around the art on the boxtop; it’s molded in red and has a lot of flash.

11 hours ago, #1 model citizen said:

That was my plan. The molded color is perfect, with few or any visible mold lines. Lots of these kits are available for low prices on eBay— however, the maroon Gold Cup version in the original box with full art coverage on the top is the one to get. Avoid the reissue with a white border around the art on the boxtop; it’s molded in red and has a lot of flash. Here’s a fascinating article about the car Johan used for the kit.

https://jalopnik.com/rudi-caracciolas-1-of-1-1935-mercedes-benz-500k-found-a-5878193