Model Cars Magazine Forum

another air brush question.

I don't use a airbrush for paint work but I may need one for a possible one time use. I will be building a replica model of a car that was a one of. To do it justice I need a specific color. Gravity colors has the one i need ( Jewel Mist Green ) but only in a jar for airbrushing. I need ideas for an airbrush that is inexpensive for a possible one time use but will still give good results as long as I do my job. I will also be using the canned air. I know, I know.  Thanks guys !

Ray, Ray, Ray (I am shaking my head no at this point).

I'll preface by saying that if you go the route you chose, and you get an unsatisfactory paint job from it, there are reasons.

I agree with Bill. Get a Paasche H, or a Binks Wren (B, medium needle/nozzle). At least a name brand airbrush.

As for the canned air. This will probably cause you more problems than a cheap airbrush. You really can't regulate it that well and what happens if you run out of air before you are finished? Do you have a friend/relative that has a compressor you can borrow?

If you want to go cheap on an airbrush (and I don't believe I'm telling you) I found this: https://www.harborfreight.com/34-and-3-oz-airbrush-kit-62294.html

They usually offer a 20% discount on one item so you'd be looking at $8.00 plus tax. I do not own one, I have never used one and I plan on never doing so. You can read the reviews and decide for yourself. I think they have a 10% off your entire purchase and I think I got a 30% off coupon in this weeks mail. That coupon is at the bottom of my fairly filled garbage can so I will not be researching that info.

I hope your project turns out well.

Just my 2 cents, but why not buy a relatively inexpensive "pancake" compressor.

They can be used for a lot of things other than just airbrushing.

Then while you're at it, get a decent air brush.

All you need to do is keep it clean, and it will last you the rest of your life!

Play with it for a while, and before you know it, you'll be giving up on the spray cans.

For the cost of a dozen cans of Tamiya primer and spray paint, you can buy a nice air brush.

Steve

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

Thank you all for your responses. You have given me a lot to think about. If the Gravity paints could be problematic is there another source to look at ?

Zero paints here in the UK have that colour in stock, I'm going to be putting an order there way at the end of the month, if you get stuck,let me know and I'll get you a bottle and ship it over, don't forget there basecoat paint and will need a couple of coats of clearcoat over them.

Just went to that site and tried to order. Got to the shipping section and it said for all ways that it could not be shipped to my address. I think I will just try and find a paint color close to a match.

BA22CA49-C8EB-437A-A438-7FC868204EF9.jpeg

Edited by cobraman
Add info