Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big Tire Ford Thunderbolt Build Started

bykr

Starting to build a Ford Thunderbolt big tire car. Want to build it as a current NHRA Super Stock car with 14x32 tires, cage, current engine,etc. 95% of the Thunderbolts I see built are basically 60's versions, so I thought I would do something different. Any photos of builds or info would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_3753.JPG

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 4:54 PM, bykr said:

I built one as a pro street about twenty years ago. I used the chassis from a Revell Matt Hay '87 T-Bird. What chassis are you using under yours?

I'm using a resin tubbed chassis. Wanted to keep the build like a Super Stock.

IMG_3753.JPG

Edited by bykr

Having a hard time finding engine photos of a current NHRA super stock Tbolt engine. Everything I see on Google is either NHRA stock or as built. Mainly trying to see what they;re doing as far as the intake, as I think they're using basically a fabricated short tunnel ram like the Hemi guys use.

5 hours ago, oldr-n-drt said:

go to google...look up nostalgia super stock 1964 t-bolt engines.....oldr-n-drt

Nothing there. Just the same pics of stock eliminator or show car engines. Current S/S is like Pay Paquet's SS/A car.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a great project. I'm also a big stock/super stock fan. As far as the intake goes your thinking of going with the sheet metal type would be correct (like the Hemi cars). You would also need to use the original carbs for the year, model, and engine. 

Where did you get the resin tubbed chassis, and are you happy with the quality? Also the source for the wheels?

Good luck with your build.

Glen Powers

Made some progress, got the four link and diff. in. Working on filling the hood pin holes in the hood. Got most of the engine/trans painted and assembled and wired. After to talking to Jim Paquet (brother of Ray Paquet who owns the fastest SS/A TBolt in the country) I decided to use the kit intake as Jim said Ray uses a tunnel wedge type intake which is very similar to the kit intake. Carbs are from Fireball. Still trying to figure out what color to go with for the body.

IMG_3806.JPG

IMG_3820.JPG

On 11/18/2019 at 6:26 AM, Glen Powers said:

Sounds like a great project. I'm also a big stock/super stock fan. As far as the intake goes your thinking of going with the sheet metal type would be correct (like the Hemi cars). You would also need to use the original carbs for the year, model, and engine. 

Where did you get the resin tubbed chassis, and are you happy with the quality? Also the source for the wheels?

Good luck with your build.

Glen Powers

The resin tubbed chassis came from Jerome6970 on ebay. Quality was decent and the price was good at $15. The wheels are slot car wheels from a guy on here named Vince. I can get you his info if needed. Thanks for the kind words Glen.

11 hours ago, bykr said:

The resin tubbed chassis came from Jerome6970 on ebay. Quality was decent and the price was good at $15. The wheels are slot car wheels from a guy on here named Vince. I can get you his info if needed. Thanks for the kind words Glen.

im here watching tim and it sure looks good ve also bought chassis from the same guy and his stuff is real nice actually met him at a show and hes a good guy!

vince

5 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Coming along well.

So what exactly is different on this car as opposed to the original T-Bolts?

Of course, I get it with the wider tires, but what else?

Is this a special class drag car, or just a build it 'cause you like it street car, or bracket car?

Mike..

It will have a full rollcage, 5 point harness, modern shifter, 4 link suspension, wheelie bars, parachute, fuel cell, modern disc brakes, modern ignition,etc.All things that aren't part of a 60's Super Stock. It's built to replicate a TBolt similar to Ray Paquets NHRA Super Stock that runs 8.40''s in SS/A.

On 11/21/2019 at 8:55 PM, bykr said:

Tim, I checked out his ebay site. Looks like he has a nice variety of chassis there. Noticed none seem to come with rear suspension but a few had a sellers note to use the Revell 67 Chevelle Pro Street parts. Is that what you used, and did you need to modify it?

Thanks,

Glen

3 hours ago, Glen Powers said:

Tim, I checked out his ebay site. Looks like he has a nice variety of chassis there. Noticed none seem to come with rear suspension but a few had a sellers note to use the Revell 67 Chevelle Pro Street parts. Is that what you used, and did you need to modify it?

Thanks,

Glen

Here's a link Glen to what I used.Quite a bit of cleanup is needed but it comes out pretty nice and the 4 link is the correct length. Seller is got_de_mottz. I'll post some pics when I get a chance

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Pro-Street-Narrowed-Rear-4-Link-Cowl-Overs-Fuel-Cell-by-Reliable-Resin/233406692681?hash=item36581f7d49:g:d3wAAOSwfHVbRr1B

22 hours ago, bykr said:

Here's a link Glen to what I used.Quite a bit of cleanup is needed but it comes out pretty nice and the 4 link is the correct length. Seller is got_de_mottz. I'll post some pics when I get a chance

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Pro-Street-Narrowed-Rear-4-Link-Cowl-Overs-Fuel-Cell-by-Reliable-Resin/233406692681?hash=item36581f7d49:g:d3wAAOSwfHVbRr1B

Thanks Tim. Southern Motorsports Hobbies is another source for tubbed chassis, they do not have as many to choose from but they do come with the rear suspension (link is below). I have not used them personally but will most likely try one on a future build. I have a bunch of the Revell pro street Chevelle kits and am torn between back halfing a kit chassis or save the time and effort and go with one of the resin offerings.

http://stores.smhracing.com/smh-resins/

Glen

51 minutes ago, Glen Powers said:

Thanks Tim. Southern Motorsports Hobbies is another source for tubbed chassis, they do not have as many to choose from but they do come with the rear suspension (link is below). I have not used them personally but will most likely try one on a future build. I have a bunch of the Revell pro street Chevelle kits and am torn between back halfing a kit chassis or save the time and effort and go with one of the resin offerings.

http://stores.smhracing.com/smh-resins/

Glen

Thanks for the link Glen, looks like some nice stuff. I back halfed an Impala chassis recently and it came out good. 

Changing my view of this resin chassis after I started working on the front suspension. The upper control arms were cast way too high for some reason and were nowhere close to making contact with the spindle. I had to remove the front suspension and cut the A arms off and relocate them. Probably better to use a kit chassis and just add a tubbed backhalf section as I did on my previous build.

IMG_3832.JPG