Model Cars Magazine Forum
bykr

Big Tire Ford Thunderbolt Build Started

Starting to build a Ford Thunderbolt big tire car. Want to build it as a current NHRA Super Stock car with 14x32 tires, cage, current engine,etc. 95% of the Thunderbolts I see built are basically 60's versions, so I thought I would do something different. Any photos of builds or info would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_3753.JPG

I built one as a pro street about twenty years ago. I used the chassis from a Revell Matt Hay '87 T-Bird. What chassis are you using under yours?

On 11/1/2019 at 4:54 PM, bykr said:

I built one as a pro street about twenty years ago. I used the chassis from a Revell Matt Hay '87 T-Bird. What chassis are you using under yours?

I'm using a resin tubbed chassis. Wanted to keep the build like a Super Stock.

IMG_3753.JPG

Edited by bykr

You beat me to it. I have this idea on my "to build" list. Saw a YouTube video of the SS/A class finals at Indy and that gave me the idea. Problem is I have about 25 on my "to build" list so it could be a while!

if yall are building for nostalgia super stock (nss) then tires are 10 inches wide. about 1/2 inch...oldr-n- drt

Thanks for the great photos and info guys. 

Having a hard time finding engine photos of a current NHRA super stock Tbolt engine. Everything I see on Google is either NHRA stock or as built. Mainly trying to see what they;re doing as far as the intake, as I think they're using basically a fabricated short tunnel ram like the Hemi guys use.

go to google...look up nostalgia super stock 1964 t-bolt engines.....oldr-n-drt

5 hours ago, oldr-n-drt said:

go to google...look up nostalgia super stock 1964 t-bolt engines.....oldr-n-drt

Nothing there. Just the same pics of stock eliminator or show car engines. Current S/S is like Pay Paquet's SS/A car.