Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do I get anything done???

On 11/2/2019 at 2:18 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

[...]

image.thumb.jpeg.b041a0ea3b0af381459195f2e99f31fd.jpeg

I swear we have the same chair!  Mine has fallen over and been repaired with steel reinforcement.  Here is my dedicated model closets, part of my office.
The workbench, that's a little less cluttered than current state.  I really need to ditch that toolbox, make some cubby holes.  I'm thinking of relocating the bench up a few inches, so I'm not slouching so much.
IMG_3332_Fotor.thumb.jpg.c112ba1373ed516ca399457dafe32000.jpg

Paint booth, just big enough for a bench, compressor, and the chair.  Need to declutter that too, and wipe down all surfaces.
IMG_3336_Fotor.thumb.jpg.117d9cbaa39eeeaab8e84e33d3801812.jpg

On 11/2/2019 at 4:18 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Well, this thread was finally the inspiration that I needed to spend a couple of hours cleaning the shop.

Now I'm ready to go to work! :P

image.thumb.jpeg.04fcd32dc648e92091865e7fe1406210.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b041a0ea3b0af381459195f2e99f31fd.jpeg

Steve

Looks like you're ready to ROCK Steve and I admire your work from the many photos I've seen.

59 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

I swear we have the same chair!  Mine has fallen over and been repaired with steel reinforcement.

My wife got a couple of these chairs along with a couple of desks for the kids many years ago when Winona State college in Rochester MN closed up one of their dorms and were selling all of the furniture really cheap.

Those dorms are now part of Methodist Hospital.

The chair is kind of a PITA, but I haven't been able to bring myself to spend the money on a proper office chair. ^_^

Steve

You guys are sooo neat!  LOL.  My work area is an absolute wreck!   I have a 12' wide space at the end of my storage building.  It has a 12' long workbench along the end wall of building.   In front of that on the back wall is a desk I bought at goodwill.   On top of that is a flat formica covered tabletop built by grandfather 40? years ago.  on top of that is the top part of one of those knock up desks that has a cabinet at top.   It's a hodgepodge.   I work out of the drawer mostly.  I try to keep my good files, Xactos, scissors, picks, in a cigar box in the drawer.  I can take that to the house in cold weather (coming up).   Side drawers have paints and such.  

Along the front wall is an old table that serves as airbrush area.   But the whole place stays a wreck.  Cleaning time is NOT building time.   My wife hates it, because she is very neat and OCD about stuff.   My work area gives her the willies.   I should try to get a photo of the whole work area and let you guys count how many different kits you can find going on.  Heck you may see something I thought was lost.  

It is a wonder I get anything finished.  And I often end up making new parts when I lose the originals.  

On 11/1/2019 at 10:50 PM, ToyLvr said:

Albert Einstein supposedly said “If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?”

Answer - Neat freak, or taken to an extreme - OCD (happily I'm not there, but I do crave order)

Frankly the sight of those messy benches makes me a little crazy. My bench gets messy while I'm working, but either when I've reached my limit on the mess or I'm done for the day, it gets straightened.

It seems though, that a lot of you guys suffer from the affliction of not-enough-space-itis. I am lucky enough have a hobby room now that the kids have left home, so not all my stuff has to be be right on top of me. 

I am also a one-build-on-the-bench builder. 

On 11/1/2019 at 5:49 PM, tbill said:

This is the current state of my bench...., it’s 6 feet long, 3 feet deep, and I don’t even have the full area of the cutting mat to work on......., it’s a wonder I get anything accomplished, lol. [...]

Just wanted to thank you, and everyone else, for inspiring me to clean up my ghetto pig pen!  Took this picture yesterday, before putting the mess-laneous into containers, so I could actually see the bench, which is a bathroom Formica countertop.  It was not firmly attached to the walls, had sticks propping up the edge, things tended to roll into my lap.  I also raised it 2 inches, to reduce slouching.  But the big thing, getting the toolbox off to clear up some real estate.
IMG_0741_Fotor.thumb.jpg.8f84e686cb6a250042248f1674fbeae3.jpg

I used the stud finder, and made sure longer screws went into the studs for the cleats.  I added two little shelves, one below and the other to my left.  Got some same size cigar boxes today, so I can store junk.  Next is clearing off the bookshelves to the right, and making it useful.  This won't last two seconds once I resume the current project, all the tools will get dumped on the bench, but will have 3 times the area.
IMG_0743_Fotor.thumb.jpg.08d2b3025f8f603ad5040020dd1fba16.jpg

Better shot of the chair, my grandma had it, but it fell over too many times, and needed repair.  So it still looks ghetto. ?

On 11/3/2019 at 11:00 AM, tbill said:

Well, you’ve  all inspired me ....., I have space again!  ( no guarantee on how long it lasts) 

Sorry, I can't get off your lawn..... but as I've said, your topic got me to clean up a couple decades of clutter.  Wondered why I put up with it this long.

Bookcase that I've had for about 50 years, top is a junkyard, not touching it for now.  This is the before shot, will take a picture when I'm done.
IMG_0771_Fotor.thumb.jpg.734075f27d1a4c92313ba61f4b840fe5.jpg

When I built my detached office and woodshop, have a 3' x 3' closet for a paint booth.  I had stored my paint in the little luggage box, PITA to always get on my knees and rummage around.  I've seen others have racks for their paint, so I ripped some shelves.
IMG_0773_Fotor.thumb.jpg.b0b672f5d7003f454ec0b3a0b991056b.jpg
IMG_0774_Fotor.thumb.jpg.44aba98a731ff3a4fd4d142dd70c506c.jpg

I didn't realize they would take up so much length! ? Making more tomorrow, then thoroughly cleaning that space.  This has been like a purging of demons. ?

18 hours ago, tbill said:

Lol, keep at it, you’re making good progress! As a reward for cleaning , you get to mess it up again?

I know right?  First thing will be to dump the tools on the bench. ?

I finished today, so last pictures, I promise.
Bookcase is arranged, and actually useful.
IMG_0777_Fotor.thumb.jpg.ebb9ad88557c05513190c48b9f08225c.jpg

Paintbooth is decluttered.  I made some wider shelves, and used up the left over on the side.  Covered the whole bench with cardboard, there was about 1/16" of paint on the old one!  Little used toolbox is there now.
IMG_0776_Fotor.thumb.jpg.466e741f9f0c500d75c3c6fb086eec74.jpg

Added another shelf to the right, for boxes of scrap for scratch-building, it was always hogging bench space too.  So glad to have done this!!!!!! ?
IMG_0778_Fotor.thumb.jpg.78bb63bc418c1c04586786aa01ad28f4.jpg

Ok, back to the regularly scheduled program.