Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fingertip hobby knife

Flat32

Maybe I could get used to it.  But I'd likely lose it on the morass that is my bench.  I learned to use an Xacto knife at work in the mid 80s so hard to beat that tool for me.  When cutting fine work, my xacto is held in a similar position, where the tip is an extension of the finger until you have to turn, then I turn the barrel in my fingertips.  Not sure the fingertip knife would work that way, due to limitations or flexibility of the hand/wrist?  

If you happen to have pics/vids of it in use, would love to see that.  

Agree with Peteski, I bought one a few years back and not really impressed, but then again I may not know how to use it properly either.  May have to dig it back out and give it another chance to show its worth. 

Flat32 do you have any tips or tricks that may help me with my experimenting?

I'm a tool junkie and when I see one produced by a few different manufacturers it's my cue to find out why it's popular. 

This one does not replace the standard X-Acto knife at all, but it is very good for cutting flat material on a cutting mat. 

If you do a bunch of panel line scribing with the back of an X-Acto blade I think you may find this tool more comfortable to use.

I'm finding it useful as a letter opener and even use it cutting cartons and carton tape.

On 11/3/2019 at 7:34 PM, peteski said:

I bought one of those at Michael's few years ago and tried it few times.  But I never got used to is, so it just sits in a drawer. Maybe I wasn't "wearing" it properly?

On 11/4/2019 at 3:57 PM, TarheelRick said:

Agree with Peteski, I bought one a few years back and not really impressed, but then again I may not know how to use it properly either.  May have to dig it back out and give it another chance to show its worth. 

Flat32 do you have any tips or tricks that may help me with my experimenting?

Yea, me too.  I thought it looked like a good idea but found I didn't particularly like it.  Nothing wrong with it, it just didn't do anything better than a regular handle.  I also bought one that had a swivel head and a very tiny blade.  It went to the island of disused  tools. 

56 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

Yea, me too.  I thought it looked like a good idea but found I didn't particularly like it.  Nothing wrong with it, it just didn't do anything better than a regular handle.  I also bought one that had a swivel head and a very tiny blade.  It went to the island of disused  tools. 

Got one of those also,went the same way as yours.  I guess as modelers we are always looking for that "just right" tool which is going to make model building so much easier.  I seem to have a drawer full of things of that description.

I picked up a couple of 'Spanish Toothpick' folding knives off eBay. When they arrived i sharpened them to a razor edge with a very low angle, like 15° on a side, because they are dedicated plastic knives. I can do things with these knives that i was never able to do before.

And if your flesh gets in the way, better have HELP on your speed dial.

• 2 weeks later...

That would take some getting used to but I could see that useful for some applications like trimming flash etc. I can say hands down the best handling knife I've ever owned is the plain harbor freight one. Rubber grip and has a taper in the perfect spot

image_13036.jpg

3 hours ago, mod3l Lover said:

Bill,  What I always say is-  "Better to have a bottle in front of me,

than a frontal lobotomy"!!!      David S.

Yes sir, that was my motto for quite some time.

I recently found out that an early lobotomy procedure involved injecting ethanol directly into the frontal lobes.

Kinda the same thing, just a matter of degree.  :D

• 2 weeks later...

I also tried this finger tip style and decided it wasn't going to give me the ability to turn the blade in corners without turning my whole hand. It just seemed awkward after decades of round handled Xactos. I gave mine away to a younger crafter I worked with at the time. My favorite Xacto is currently the one they sell at HL with a built in light in the head. That one can illuminate the exact area where I am cutting.