Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Hurst Hairy Olds

TonyW

Here's my take on the Monogram Classic, the 1967 Hurst Hairy Oldsmobile.

Box stock, built from a recent re-issue kit. Rattle can gold, tape masked and rattle can black over that for the stripes. The decals went on well although they are a bit thin and prone to a wrinkle here and there if you don't watch out. The redlines were added with an art pen, not strictly authentic, but I like the look. The redline breaks up the great big sidewalls on the slicks rather nicely in my book.

IMG-9766.jpg

The base was made from a sheet of white card sprayed yellow. The lines are Tamiya masking tape and all the script and pictures were cut from the box the kit came in. It all folds flat for storage.

IMG-9767.jpg

A black background card was added after I took the picture above as I liked the contrast between the yellow and the black of the baseboard I used.

IMG-9954.jpg

IMG-9957.jpg

And last, but not least, a burnout prior to another Banzai run!

IMG-9965.jpg

The tire smoke is the stuffing from a cushion.

Tony.

Thanks Guys, much appreciated.

Here's the kit progression from the first big box through the Mattel years version and the travesty the car turned into, the Olds 442 Street Freak. It was good to see the kit reissued not too long ago, it gave me the chance to add a built version to my collection. Happy days!

Tony.

IMG-0002.jpg

IMG-9998.jpg

Edited by TonyW

Very nice indeed. It looks like we used the same shade of Gold!

After I painted and decaled mine, I realised that a coat or two of Tamiya clear yellow would have probably got the color closer to the box version. 

Tony.

Edited by TonyW

Great looking Hurst Hairy Olds. And I'm really digging your box display. What a great idea, and it will work well with many kits that have cool or original box art.

I built this kit about five years ago. It was the 90s release with the Linda Vaughn figure, but the decals were horrible. I remember when I first opened the box it had two sheets of decals, and I thought "what a bonus". When it came time to decal the car, out of two decal sheets I could not get enough good decals to completely do the car. They just broke up into little pieces. I'm glad to see your decals were usable. I may try to see if I can get a better set from Revell, though I don't know if they still do the parts replacement thing now that they are based out of Germany.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2019 at 5:07 AM, TonyW said:

Here's my take on the Monogram Classic, the 1967 Hurst Hairy Oldsmobile.

Box stock, built from a recent re-issue kit. Rattle can gold, tape masked and rattle can black over that for the stripes. The decals went on well although they are a bit thin and prone to a wrinkle here and there if you don't watch out. The redlines were added with an art pen, not strictly authentic, but I like the look. The redline breaks up the great big sidewalls on the slicks rather nicely in my book.

IMG-9766.jpg

The base was made from a sheet of white card sprayed yellow. The lines are Tamiya masking tape and all the script and pictures were cut from the box the kit came in. It all folds flat for storage.

IMG-9767.jpg

A black background card was added after I took the picture above as I liked the contrast between the yellow and the black of the baseboard I used.

IMG-9954.jpg

IMG-9957.jpg

And last, but not least, a burnout prior to another Banzai run!

IMG-9965.jpg

The tire smoke is the stuffing from a cushion.

Tony.

The smoke is very realistic.Looks great.

Hi Tony...that's a fairly unique presentation, I love it. Very original.

Car looks absolutely great too...well done!

I've never seen this model before.  Paint job looks ultra smooth and above all, the gold color is a hit and it appears to be truly correct of the Hurst Olds!

Could you offer some insight concerning the paint?  Brand, application, things of this nature?

Mike..

The paint was a happy accident Mike.

I bought a few rattle cans from a cheapo pile 'em high store near me, just to try them out. Big cans were £2.00, smaller ones 99p! They were no brand generic gold and black. The paints were a bit hot if the strong smell was any indication but the Tamiya white primer survived the first thin coat of black. I left that a day before hitting the body with a couple of wet coats of the same black and that went on really well. I make a ball of tape, sticky side out and put that on top of a spray can, then wedge it inside the roof of the body so I can turn the body about while the paint takes a set. After another day or so I used Tamiya masking tape for the gold areas and gave that a couple of thin coats. There's no buffing out on the model anywhere, the gloss just came straight out the can! The gold is more a mid shine rather than a full gloss but it seems to look better somehow that way.

You are right about the gold being pretty close to the Hurst color. If I built another I would be tempted to add a coat of clear yellow over it to get a bit closer to the box top version. I like my box stock builds to look like the box top!

The decals went on just fine. The gloss surface probably helped here. There's no clear coat on the model, I thought it looked good as it was and didn't want to take a chance of wrecking what I had. Less is more and all that.

I wish all my models turned out like this one.

Tony.

Edited by TonyW