Model Cars Magazine Forum

Restoring My Dads 64 Fairlane For Christmas

MININORTHFORDMAN

Well Christmas is next month and i was thinking what would be nice to get my dad I thought to restore his 64 fairlane he built around my age im 14 i hope he likes it when its done  p.s im not telling him im doing it

i got the car apart now time for cleaning

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by MININORTHFORDMAN
I added two of the same image

Charlie, that will be something truly special. Something you done with your own two hands, your dad will cherish that more than any store bought gift you could EVER give him. It's looking great so far. Please keep us posted on your progress, I'd love to see it.

282b95411927f12e9cc5db9c36473cc6bc946d7fb81039f8a1441d05b6f00fc5.jpg

19 minutes ago, Geno said:

Charlie, that will be something truly special. Something you done with your own two hands, your dad will cherish that more than any store bought gift you could EVER give him. It's looking great so far. Please keep us posted on your progress, I'd love to see it.

282b95411927f12e9cc5db9c36473cc6bc946d7fb81039f8a1441d05b6f00fc5.jpg

thank you i hope he will im not amazing at building models but im getting better

Charlie, none of us started out building amazing models, I know I didn't but the more I built the better I got. It's a gift from the heart, that's what will ultimately make it special. Just do the best you can, he will know and understand.

??

56 minutes ago, MININORTHFORDMAN said:

i need some  advice should i use the original chassis or use the new one from the new kit? I don't know how to get the pieces of shocks out

image.jpeg

Drill the remainder of the shocks out from behind or top side of the floor. Just how bad a shape is the original chassis ? 

10 hours ago, MININORTHFORDMAN said:

thats really the only spot the rest has glue spots

If the frame has glue damage, depending on how bad it is, try sanding the surface as smooth as possible then use a small amount of filler to the areas that are below the surrounding level frame. This will all take some time and effort but give you satisfaction if you are able to save it. The alternative is to of course replace the frame if you have one. Seems like a waste to buy another kit just to get a frame unless there are other parts that you can use on this build.      

11 hours ago, MININORTHFORDMAN said:

thats really the only spot the rest has glue spots

This is such a cool thing to do and it looks like a great project so far. Honestly, what espo said is I would do in drilling out the area where the shocks mounted up and if needed insert a piece of styrene on the back side of the hole so you can insert new shocks.

A few years back I had the opportunity to build a 1/48 scale F4U Corsair for a good friend of mine who's in his 70's. Guy loves him some Corsairs so.....I built him one for Christmas. That kit wasn't the best one to build and it fought me all the way to the bitter end but the pay off out of that was amazing for not only him but for me as well when I saw his face light up on the unveiling of it to him. It's gonna mean a lot to your dad as well. Trust me.

This is looking really good so far.

Edited by mustang1989

I think that's a great thing I will be watching this one the 64 is one I have always loved I am 67 I have two daughters one liked cars but not in to models I have 3 grandsons 5,6 and 10 I had hoped to get the 10 year old in modeling that's when I did my first model it was the AMT 62 Fairlane 3-in-1 two years ago I found one at a garage sale in the box unbuilt I can't believe I got it for $10.00 bucks it's on the bench for this winter but like I said I tried with the 10 year old and he only likes those dam tablets and video games can't get them away from it I hate to say it but I think we are the last of the model builders with in a few years it to maybe gone.!!!! one thing is for sure as lone as I can drive I will never buy or drive an electric car if it does not run on gas it's not a car.!!!! I want to hear the pipes.!!!!

2 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

This is such a cool thing to do and it looks like a great project so far. Honestly, what espo said is I would do in drilling out the area where the shocks mounted up and if needed insert a piece of styrene on the back side of the hole so you can insert new shocks.

A few years back I had the opportunity to build a 1/48 scale F4U Corsair for a good friend of mine who's in his 70's. Guy loves him some Corsairs so.....I built him one for Christmas. That kit wasn't the best one to build and it fought me all the way to the bitter end but the pay off out of that was amazing for not only him but for me as well when I saw his face light up on the unveiling of it to him. It's gonna mean a lot to your dad as well. Trust me.

This is looking really good so far.

thanks

2 hours ago, rickcaps55 said:

I think that's a great thing I will be watching this one the 64 is one I have always loved I am 67 I have two daughters one liked cars but not in to models I have 3 grandsons 5,6 and 10 I had hoped to get the 10 year old in modeling that's when I did my first model it was the AMT 62 Fairlane 3-in-1 two years ago I found one at a garage sale in the box unbuilt I can't believe I got it for $10.00 bucks it's on the bench for this winter but like I said I tried with the 10 year old and he only likes those dam tablets and video games can't get them away from it I hate to say it but I think we are the last of the model builders with in a few years it to maybe gone.!!!! one thing is for sure as lone as I can drive I will never buy or drive an electric car if it does not run on gas it's not a car.!!!! I want to hear the pipes.!!!!

i agree with you there i love gasoline cars 

Excellent idea, and great job so far. This gift will mean a lot to your dad. I've built hundreds of model cars in my 67 years. Lately, I've been buying some older kits on eBay to restore or make into 1-off early era Nascars. My daughter (my only child) never got into the hobby so it's encouraging to see some young people into it. Keep us posted.

• 4 weeks later...