Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Pontiac Delivery conversion from convertible

59-Desoto

Rarely seen in any form 1:1 or plastic. 1958 was the end of the line for Pontiac Sedan Deliveries , the 58 was Canadian marketplace only car. I also combine several upgrades bashing a 1962 Catalina using the Chassis from that kit vs the X frame from a 58 Impala.  Took a break from it still work to do on it but close to completing it , this is the 1st of two more Im going to do and honestly kind of a test run build. I call it the Tin Indian and can be displayed with or without the roof rack and surf boards

DSCF9461.JPG

DSCF9462.JPG

DSCF9463.JPG

DSCF9464.JPG

DSCF9465.JPG

DSCF9466.JPG

DSCF9467.JPG

DSCF9468.JPG

DSCF9469.JPG

DSCF9470.JPG

DSCF9471.JPG

DSCF9472.JPG

DSCF9473.JPG

DSCF9474.JPG

DSCF9475.JPG

DSCF9476.JPG

DSCF9477.JPG

DSCF9545.JPG

DSCF9546.JPG

DSCF9547.JPG

DSCF9548.JPG

DSCF9549.JPG

DSCF9550.JPG

DSCF9551.JPG

DSCF9552.JPG

DSCF9553.JPG

DSCF9554.JPG

DSCF9555.JPG

DSCF9556.JPG

Edited by 59-Desoto

Very interesting build, Gene.... and I am fascinated by the history, with you mentioning 1958 and Canada.

Your nearly completed first build of three looks really nice, and you are doing a good job there.

As you may have noticed, I am converting a '67 Pontiac Bonneville 4-door to a '68 Pontiac Parisienne 4-door....... which is most enjoyable and satisfying.

David

11 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

Very interesting build, Gene.... and I am fascinated by the history, with you mentioning 1958 and Canada.

Your nearly completed first build of three looks really nice, and you are doing a good job there.

As you may have noticed, I am converting a '67 Pontiac Bonneville 4-door to a '68 Pontiac Parisienne 4-door....... which is most enjoyable and satisfying.

David

Yes David I did look at that , yours is equally as interesting. I'm a lover of old Pontiac and have several in my collection

2 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Nice work both you guys are doing on you Pontiacs! I DIG the taillights on that sedan delivery; thinking they could be good custom pieces for other builds. Where can I find some?

They aren't hard to find Rusty , they was stock tail lights in all AMT vintage 58 Bonneville promos and kits

First off I really like what you're building here. I was wondering where the basic body came from. Your post mentioned the '58 Bonneville promo, I noticed the four stars in the side trim. The roof and tail gate look like the '58 Chevrolet resin body. I don't think you could make a living selling a good resin casting of this, but I think there would be many who would be interested such as myself. You have the different body parts come together just the way I would envision Pontiac Motor Division doing it.   

12 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

An interesting conversion. Can't help but wonder if that would sell in resin.

Charlie Larkin

Have a couple casters wanting to cast it , I have two more in the plans. The Bonneville body I used on this one wasn't the greatest and was why I used it for this build before cutting up I nice one. Next one will go out for casting and the 3rd one will be my keeper. I'm sure there won't be a lot of demand for them but will fill one more gap in our little world of modeling. 

41 minutes ago, mk11 said:

Very nice combination. Do you have more pics of the body mods?

Sure a little safer to ride in with the perimeter frame vs the x frame it would have been built with   :)

yes once I sit down and finish it up, have a contract job Im doing and had to sit this aside for awhile

On 11/6/2019 at 8:45 AM, espo said:

First off I really like what you're building here. I was wondering where the basic body came from. Your post mentioned the '58 Bonneville promo, I noticed the four stars in the side trim. The roof and tail gate look like the '58 Chevrolet resin body. I don't think you could make a living selling a good resin casting of this, but I think there would be many who would be interested such as myself. You have the different body parts come together just the way I would envision Pontiac Motor Division doing it.   

The basic body was a 1958 Bonneville convertible and bought a Jimmy Flintstone 1958 Chevy Sedan Delivery for the roof and tailgate section. There was little different in the tailgate area I had to work on and took a bit of time to get it looking halfway right. The rear bumper I removed all the guards and exhaust ports on it. And yes next one goes to a caster who will be casting them

Edited by 59-Desoto

18 hours ago, 59-Desoto said:

The basic body was a 1958 Bonneville convertible and bought a Jimmy Flintstone 1958 Chevy Sedan Delivery for the roof and tailgate section. There was little different in the tailgate area I had to work on and took a bit of time to get it looking halfway right. The rear bumper I removed all the guards and exhaust ports on. And yes next one goes to a caster who will be casting them

Good news. I'm on the lazier side so please let use know when and where the casting can be obtained. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2019 at 5:09 PM, 59-Desoto said:

Have a couple casters wanting to cast it , I have two more in the plans. The Bonneville body I used on this one wasn't the greatest and was why I used it for this build before cutting up I nice one. Next one will go out for casting and the 3rd one will be my keeper. I'm sure there won't be a lot of demand for them but will fill one more gap in our little world of modeling. 

Good. I'll definitely be keeping watch for it.

Charlie Larkin