Model Cars Magazine Forum
Stephen82kck

Best sites for buying engine kits to do engine swaps.

Looking for sites that sell complete engines. Wanting to do sone swaps on a few kits i have and cant locate any good sites. 

I don't know if there are any parts sites other than eBay and a few message groups on Facebook.

You can trade for parts here on the board.  People are happy to help if you are looking for something specific for a project.

If you want to dump money, go to Shapeways.  I don't like searching, must be a system, but lots of different subjects to choose from.  Otherwise as Tom said, put it out on this forum what you're looking for.

Seriously, depending on what you're looking for, eBay might be a very good option. There are multiple sellers who are parting out kits all the time. It seems like the same 4 or 5 sellers regularly part out newer kits, which I have found to be very useful.

Sometimes, complete engines are offered for $3-5 each, plus shipping. They will usually combine shipping for multiple items won. You can find yourself getting nice, newer-tooled engines that would be great upgrades for certain older kits, along with better wheels, tires, etc.

I buy any Revell '68 Dart 383-440 and AMT '71 Duster 340 engines I can find there. I also try to get the 8-3/4 rear from the Revell '67 GTX, Coronet & Charger kits when I can. I have seen everything from very good stock Hemis, right to complete NASCAR and Top Fuel engines. Unless you're looking for something very specific, you will most likely find what you need right there.

I really recommend buying more kits. If you are going to swap engines I'm sure there are other parts you're going to swap also. You can get inexpensive kits at swap meets and model shows if you look for them.

Or you can also buy buildups at model shows for parts