Model Cars Magazine Forum

Election 2019

ToyLvr

We didn't have any voting today but the greater Kansas City area cities did. This included KCMO and KCK. The talking heads on the 6pm news are expecting a whopping 10 to 12 percent turnout. I'm not picking on KC but voting turnouts most everywhere are deplorable. Anyone that is complaining about how elections turn out and didn't vote have no right to complain. 

28 minutes ago, espo said:

We didn't have any voting today but the greater Kansas City area cities did. This included KCMO and KCK. The talking heads on the 6pm news are expecting a whopping 10 to 12 percent turnout. I'm not picking on KC but voting turnouts most everywhere are deplorable. Anyone that is complaining about how elections turn out and didn't vote have no right to complain. 

David:

That’s part of the reason I mentioned it.

It’s so sad that turnout is so low almost everywhere. The last I heard, the turnout here in Kentucky was estimated at about 21%, which is pretty pathetic considering that we have a major gubernatorial election this year.?

It's the same here in Canada. Everyone complains, but voter turnout is traditionally weak.

Although, over the past few elections, that has been changing, as we've had a few bad leaders, from multiple parties.

Our electoral system is inherently broken though. Most Canadians will agree with me, regardless of political affiliations.. 

7 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

It's the same here in Canada. Everyone complains, but voter turnout is traditionally weak.

Although, over the past few elections, that has been changing, as we've had a few bad leaders, from multiple parties.

Our electoral system is inherently broken though. Most Canadians will agree with me, regardless of political affiliations.. 

Dan:

This must be a problem internationally.

We need some *good* men & women to step up and be willing to LEAD. Pretty pathetic choice of candidates that we often have here......

I'm all for free speech but this forum is where I go to escape politics... 

Like Mike says:

10 hours ago, ToyLvr said:

I guess I better knock it off, guys.

Just noticed that we aren’t supposed to have political discussions here. ?

The most important thing is vote. We are fortunate that others have sacrificed their lives for us to have that right. You can't complain if you haven't made your voice heard. I vote in march because that's when California has it primary.

Also if you do have a political discussion keep it civil and agree to disagree. Keep the nastiness out of the conversation.

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

Believe me guys, we are watching this thread. Keep it away from political parties, politicians, and specific opinions, and I think we'll be just fine.

I understand and apologize if you feel that I have crossed the line on the politics. My intent was only bemoaning the fact of a lack of participation by the general public. I didn't want to speak ill of either party.  

I've never understood people not voting. It's free, you get to add your opinion to the total count, and I think you should have the attitude that you're supposed to vote. We mail in our ballots or just drop them off at the nearest drop box. So easy.

It's pretty easy to become disgusted with the whole prospect of voting and just drop out.

I've been voting in my state for at least the past 30 years and I can't remember the last time one of my candidates won.

At some point it becomes pointless and a waste of time when your state has become completely over run by the opposing party.

At that point, it becomes your only option to move somewhere else if you want to see things run the way that you feel they should be.

"Vote with your feet", as they say.

Steve

5 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Believe me guys, we are watching this thread. Keep it away from political parties, politicians, and specific opinions, and I think we'll be just fine.

I didn’t want to violate the rules, or tick-off Greg. After all, it’s his Forum, and I respect that.

However, looks like the fellas are behaving themselves?

A lot of people don't vote because they think it will increase the likelihood that they will be summoned to jury duty.  From what I know about it, most places use DMV records and other records in addition to voter rolls, so unless you haven't got a driver's license (and I have known a lot of "adults" who don't have one) you still might get roped into that.  

On the other hand, there probably are a lot of people presently on voter rolls who shouldn't be there (deceased).  I was getting absentee ballots for my mom three years after she passed, and she stopped voting a couple of years before that because she felt that she wasn't able to make important decisions any more.  I can see where it would be, and probably is, easy to rack up "dead votes" pretty easily.  

Edited by Mark
Spelling