Model Cars Magazine Forum

a quick over view... 2015 when the EPA took the position that converted street vehicles that compete on the track must remain emissions-compliant, even though they are not driven on public streets or highways. The EPA also maintains that the equipment used to transform a street vehicle into a race car is prohibited. so if you would just add you name and phone#  https://www.votervoice.net/SEMA/campaigns/45394/respond

You mean to tell me my EPA compliant regular street car which I modify with CARB- EPA certified aftermarket parts becomes illegal? Something can and cannot be at the same time . (philosophy 101) It is one way  or the other,  not both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a very interesting post on the Grassroots Motorsports forum about this, although they didn't specifically discuss the RPM Act at the SEMA meeting:

Discussions with CARB and the EPA on the future of performance parts

The original poster is a well-known Miata performance expert and author, who works for the premier Miata aftermarket company. There are other knowledgeable forum members commenting in the thread, too. I found it very educational. The bottom line is that we can thank the knuckleheads with their coal roller bro-dozers for the added enforcement. The Feds are mainly going to be going after aftermarket companies that sell "off road" (wink wink) emissions defeating parts and cat delete kits and they won't be messing with racers. I guess I won't me getting a stand-alone ECU for my Miata after all. ?

Even though they say they're not going after true race cars, I do think they still need something on the books to protect racers from the occasional overzealous Fed. During my aviation career, I occasionally ran across FAA inspectors who seemed more interested in taking somebody down to satisfy some kind of ego thing (like Bob Hoover getting grounded) than ensuring safety. I'm sure there are probably a few like that at EPA, since they employ humans there, too. 

Ben

It's already law here in Commifornia that any vehicle made 2020 and newer may not have any form of modifications done to the emissions system. Further more, making it illegal to sell said parts to a resident of Ca. Not to get too political, Ca is dancing on some very delicate ice. They are directly interfering with interstate commerce. Dont even get me started on this AB5 crock of doody.