Model Cars Magazine Forum

Daytona/Superbird.....

cruz

Very nice builds! Not so easy to overcome the "opacity problem" when using the white tail stripe on the Daytona. When I'll build mine, I guess I'll try to use 2 white stripes on top of each other (should I manage to find a second sheet) - or go for the black one.

Cruz! Those two are GORGEOUS!! I looooove the shade of blue on that Daytona! (B5 blue?)

Also, your hubcaps are more accurate than the ones I have on my Daytona! When that car was new (Daytona) I swear I NEVER saw one of those on the street till many years later. Superbirds I saw as I knew a family that owned one, but never the Daytona.

15 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Very nice builds! Not so easy to overcome the "opacity problem" when using the white tail stripe on the Daytona. When I'll build mine, I guess I'll try to use 2 white stripes on top of each other (should I manage to find a second sheet) - or go for the black one.

Hee-Hee............that's why I went with a black stripe on mine! :D

That always worried me about Revell's white decals.......the pigments they use are never tight enough to get rid of the opacity issue.

14 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Cruz! Those two are GORGEOUS!! I looooove the shade of blue on that Daytona! (B5 blue?)

Also, your hubcaps are more accurate than the ones I have on my Daytona! When that car was new (Daytona) I swear I NEVER saw one of those on the street till many years later. Superbirds I saw as I knew a family that owned one, but never the Daytona.

Same here!

I remember seeing a NEW superbird in my neighborhood... I was a WEE lad, my friends were un impressed!

10 hours ago, geemoney said:

Same here!

I remember seeing a NEW superbird in my neighborhood... I was a WEE lad, my friends were un impressed!

Back when the Superbird was new, I got to see one up close and personal practically every other week for a few years. A couple years after my Mom and Dad split up, my Dad started seeing a lady whose next door neighbor bought one not long after they were intro'd. If Dad had my sister and I for the weekend, we usually had Sunday dinner at her house and a lot of times the car would be parked literally in front of her door.

I could sit and look at that car for what seemed like hours as I LOVED the high wing and the pointed nose. I don't know what was in the car............probably a 440. I do know it was a 4 speed car as I distinctly remember that pistol grip shifter. This one was white with the black vinyl roof and those Road Runner decals with it holding the helmet to my eyes are just CLASSIC auto art!

Interesting enough, in the later '70's when I was about to get out of school, I happen to pick up a Road and Track mag and in the back of the magazine in the classified ad, I happen to see the car for sale. I was in high school in the Ft. Washington MD area at the time, and it was listed in the Harrisburg PA area and the person selling it.........his name sounded awfully familiar. I figured it HAD to be the same car as there were VERY few in the area back then and the car was described as white with the black vinyl roof.

Asking price?? IIRC, he was selling it for $1800! :o

If only I had a time machine!