Model Cars Magazine Forum

Happy Birthday to our friend Harry Pristovnik, he'd be 63 today according to Facebook!

On 11/6/2019 at 6:15 PM, cobraman said:

I always think of him when I am not putting mirrors on a model. ?

Just finished a build by adding the mirror and saying to myself "This is for you Harry". . . sure do miss having him around here .  Happy Birthday my friend .  

If it wasn't for Harry's constant words of encouragement to me when  I was starting out, I wouldn't be where I am today with my skills. He always took the time to message on a build and was always there for advice when needed. Even on build subjects he generally didn't really care about.

I often think of him when I work on stuff, because a solid 70% of what I do in my builds now is stuff that he pushed me to try out.

Happy birthday, Harry. 

I had been going through my PM messages and ran across the ones we sent back and forth as he was fighting for his life. Gave me a chill and brought a tear to my eye to read those words from him and think about how he fought so hard. I miss his contributions he made here and elsewhere to better the hobby. A fine man gone too soon who is dearly missed.

Never met Harry in person, but had a number of contacts with him before I drifted away from writing articles for Model Cars Magazine and others at about that time. I found him to be most generous in answering any of.my questions. Shortly before he died he sent me a copy of the book he both wrote and published ' The Evolution of the Automobile In Scale', and I was honoured to be able to review it here in the UK.i

The loss of his vast knowledge of the hobby and his layout and publishing skills leave a great void for MCM  to fill, as it will be extremely difficult it not impossible for the magazine to replace someone with both model making and professional publishing skill sets combined.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

Admittedly, there were times I'd cut corners on a build and ask myself if this is something important enough that Harry would notice or call out. I think for many who posted on this forum, Harry was, consciously or otherwise, the barometer by which building choices were made.

On 11/6/2019 at 4:15 PM, cobraman said:

I always think of him when I am not putting mirrors on a model. ?

Same here!

I also think of Harry whenever I fabricate an alternator bracket to avoid having the dreaded "floating alternator", another of his pet peeves.

David G.