Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anything New at Hobby Lobby?

Haven't seen anything new at my local HL since the reset about 3 months ago. Never even got the Porsche tractor like other places did. 

I'm really hoping to pick up the Subaru BRAT, 78 Dodge pickup and 23 T at HL since I don't know that I will actually build them. But so far they haven't shown up. I have no problem paying full retail for stuff I know I'll build. But stuff on the fringes of my interests I'd rather not.

Got a new Hobby Lobby a mile from me that's been open for about 6 weeks now. Went there when they opened and went last week. Same models and not a big selection. I can think of many models that they could add to the mix and wonder if it will happen or not. With Christmas coming up you'd think they ought to bring in a bunch more.

I've noticed the selection of Evergreen styrene that has turned up recently; not a big selection but things that I do use.  I've got a LHS that carries it, but don't get there every week.  They're also carrying some of their own products, like nylon paint brushes similar to Testors' cheap brushes (everyone I know hates those things; not me).  In other areas of the store, they've got bags of 50 of those little plastic graduated cups for mixing resin.

6 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Haven't seen anything new at my local HL since the reset about 3 months ago. Never even got the Porsche tractor like other places did. 

I'm really hoping to pick up the Subaru BRAT, 78 Dodge pickup and 23 T at HL since I don't know that I will actually build them. But so far they haven't shown up. I have no problem paying full retail for stuff I know I'll build. But stuff on the fringes of my interests I'd rather not.

Don't give up yet. After months of reading about the Porsche Tractor in here, I finally gave up and ordered one online. About a week later it showed up in Hobby Lobby. Of course. 

And you may be covered on the others. I've already bought the BRAT, 78 Dodge PU and '23 T online.  So they should show up in HL any day now. ?

I had always ignored that '23 T, thinking it was just another variation of the AMT '25 kit. No, it's a totally different kit with a multipart chassis. I have a couple of the '23 T Depot Hacks and am thinking about hot-rodding one. 

On 11/7/2019 at 2:30 PM, ewetwo said:

I checked out our local Hobby Lobby this past Tuesday. Nothing new. Bought some body putty. I'll bet they will discount the kits in January because they will want to reduce inventory for tax purposes. 

Hobby Lobby will likely run their usual 30% off of kits after Thanksgiving thru Christmas. Don't expect any resets to happen during the holiday season, maybe January or February.

18 hours ago, alexis said:

Mine was stocking the '60 Chevy Pickup. I saw it once. It has never been in stock since. I really wish I could get one.

If you enjoy building pick-ups this is a kit worth try to find. Amazingly items like the hood will interchange with the Revell Suburban kit. The entire kit is a great credit to AMT of old. 

I just went to the local Hobby Lobby and saw a new kit!  Well, not exactly new to most of us - the Revell '68 Chevelle SS-396. Those have been around so long, one online vendor was selling them for $16.33 back in July 2019.  But I've never seen the kit at this HL before.  

• 2 weeks later...

My local Hobby Lobby is right between my house and my job, so I stop by frequently to check the kit selection and to exploit the 40% off coupon...

The selection rarely changes, but now and again I find some "new" things... its always a joy when that happens.

Of course you can't bring the bags inside while the wife is still awake!

I've seen that Allison at my local HL, but didn't have any interest. I just googled the model number, and it is a pretty interesting engine. It's powered some of my favorite aircraft (C-130, P-3, C-2), and a marine variant is used as an electrical generator on all American cruisers and destroyers. If I can get anywhere near the mall this weekend, I'll pick one up with the coupon.