Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anything New at Hobby Lobby?

My wife wanted to go to Hobby Lobby on Saturday to look at Christmas ornaments. So I went along for the ride. 

I went to the model aisle and there was a guy sitting on the floor with his son. The kid was around 10 years old. They have the Visible V8 in front of them and are reading the package.  The guy asks me if they are in my way, which they weren't, but that started a conversation.  He said he was teaching his son about cars and wanted to build this engine with him. I gave him my opinion of the kit and told him as long as he did the building, they'd be good.  He then said, "But man, it's $75."   He didn't know about the 40% off coupon so I showed him how to get it on his phone.  He was grinning ear to ear and headed to the register with his now $45 kit.  My good deed for the day.

My wife got a few ornaments but I didn't buy anything at all.  Of course later in the day when I went to spray a bit of paint on my Blue Beetle, the can sprayed dry.  So I headed back to the store for a new can!  And of course I used the coupon.

On 11/26/2019 at 10:27 AM, Tom Geiger said:

My wife wanted to go to Hobby Lobby on Saturday to look at Christmas ornaments. So I went along for the ride. 

I went to the model aisle and there was a guy sitting on the floor with his son. The kid was around 10 years old. They have the Visible V8 in front of them and are reading the package.  The guy asks me if they are in my way, which they weren't, but that started a conversation.  He said he was teaching his son about cars and wanted to build this engine with him. I gave him my opinion of the kit and told him as long as he did the building, they'd be good.  He then said, "But man, it's $75."   He didn't know about the 40% off coupon so I showed him how to get it on his phone.  He was grinning ear to ear and headed to the register with his now $45 kit.  My good deed for the day.

My wife got a few ornaments but I didn't buy anything at all.  Of course later in the day when I went to spray a bit of paint on my Blue Beetle, the can sprayed dry.  So I headed back to the store for a new can!  And of course I used the coupon.

Really nice story Tom.  I did notice the Amt Coke Willy’s pickup but.they really just not getting anything new in...

Playing Sherpa for my wife yesterday. All over town looking for odds and ends see needed for Christmas. At least the Sun was out. She mentions Michael's and a 60 % off coupon burning a hole in the bottom of her purse. Got a Revell '32 5-Wlndow 2'n1 kit. Besides being a great kit it has a wealth of extra parts, and this is why I go along as a Sherpa.  

I stopped by HL yesterday, and in the model aisle there were 3 boxes of stuff to restock shelves with. I poked around in them, and other than the 60 Chevy pickup that they've been out of for a while and some tractors(not interested), there was just a bunch of the same old stuff that's been sitting on the shelves for the last 2 or 3 years.

Stopped in the closest Hobby Lobby today and didn't see any new car kits.  I was hoping for another '60 Chevy truck myself.

This store did have the Atlantis re-pop of the old Revell "Everything Is Go" Mercury Capsule & Atlas Booster set.  And another old/new space kit I couldn't resist, the Monogram 1/48 scale "First Lunar Landing" kit. Complete with moon diorama base and 2 astronaut figures!  Dragon also does a 1/48 lunar lander, but I like the older kit for the nostalgia.  And the price, with the HL 40% off coupon.

11 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

I just wish that they would throw some of the stuff on clearance again... it happened once a few years back, and go figure it was at the 1 time I was really strapped for cash due to buying a house...

If they ever do it again, I'll back a truck up to the door.

They do it at least once a year, sometimes more. here is the link to the thread concerning this years summer clearance...

3 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

They do it at least once a year, sometimes more. here is the link to the thread concerning this years summer clearance...

Na man... my store here dosen't do it that frequently. I'm literally check all the time. 

It's sad.

But man, when I see those orange stickers, my wallet will nearly burst into flame!!

11 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

I just wish that they would throw some of the stuff on clearance again... it happened once a few years back, and go figure it was at the 1 time I was really strapped for cash due to buying a house...

You'll have to be early and get there quick with that truck.  Or maybe bribe an employee for a heads-up on the sale. (Just kidding.)

In the old threads about Hobby Lobby and Ollie's kit sales, you'll read about people grabbing carts full of the discounted kits.  They mark the prices back up and flog them on eBay or at flea markets.  After every HL/Ollie's kit sale around here, I see those kits at local flea markets.  At the same time, a flood of the same kits show up on eBay.  These sellers are never "model people" like us. They're wanna-be American Pickers.  I like to call them Ye Olde Anteek & Junque dealers.

Flea market kit prices are usually about $15, or half the retail price but twice what the seller paid for them. I almost felt sorry for one flea-market seller who kept showing up for weeks, with a table full of Lindberg ships, aircraft etc. straight from Ollie's.  No, I didn't really feel a bit sorry for him.  As economists might say, the Invisible Hand of the (Scale Model) Market was just slapping him upside the head. 

15 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

You'll have to be early and get there quick with that truck.  Or maybe bribe an employee for a heads-up on the sale. (Just kidding.)

In the old threads about Hobby Lobby and Ollie's kit sales, you'll read about people grabbing carts full of the discounted kits.  They mark the prices back up and flog them on eBay or at flea markets.  After every HL/Ollie's kit sale around here, I see those kits at local flea markets.  At the same time, a flood of the same kits show up on eBay.  These sellers are never "model people" like us. They're wanna-be American Pickers.  I like to call them Ye Olde Anteek & Junque dealers.

Flea market kit prices are usually about $15, or half the retail price but twice what the seller paid for them. I almost felt sorry for one flea-market seller who kept showing up for weeks, with a table full of Lindberg ships, aircraft etc. straight from Ollie's.  No, I didn't really feel a bit sorry for him.  As economists might say, the Invisible Hand of the (Scale Model) Market was just slapping him upside the head. 

Well, the thing I noticed (my hobby lobby and Ollies are within 200yds of each other and less than a mile from my job, so I'm there ALOT) is most of the kits that come thru are there for a reason... they never sold goof to begin with.

Like the prehistoric lindberg ships/planes etc... I even bought 1 of the bismarks last time I was there... idk why.

Anyway, as we all know, some of the kits are actually quite good... the linberg 64 dodges (I bought a ton of) are great. A few AMT kits here an there that aren't too bad. And the MPC stuff that are usually only good for certain parts...

My last Ollie's haul came a few weeks ago, think I got about 20 kits from 5$- 8 on average over the course of 2 trips.

I have no sympathy for the "pickers" at all, they should have known when they saw something at a closeout store marked down to rock bottom prices that it didn't do well at retail or even below with all the various sales and coupons available.

I check on HL all the time though and they never have a sale on kits... not since that 1 time a few years ago.

Hoping they do it again SOON.

Not to mention, I think I'm the only guy who buys kits from Hobby lobby around here... no joke.

Edited by LL3 Model Worx

19 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

I've posted this before but it bears repeating...  I had a conversation with a manager at my local HL in Exton, PA.  He said the same guy comes in nearly every day and if there are any model kits on sale, he will buy them all.  He said Amazon has an app where people can scan a bar code on any item and it will show what that item is selling for on Amazon.  He sees people looking to resell using this in the store. 

12 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I've posted this before but it bears repeating...  I had a conversation with a manager at my local HL in Exton, PA.  He said the same guy comes in nearly every day and if there are any model kits on sale, he will buy them all.  He said Amazon has an app where people can scan a bar code on any item and it will show what that item is selling for on Amazon.  He sees people looking to resell using this in the store. 

Naturally... lol

If it works out for them great, that is "good business" but I doubt the dividends are worth the effort.

Guess I need to buddy up with the HL manager so I can get the inside scoop... I'm there so much they practically know me by name anyway.

But I've only seen kits on sale 1 time.

13 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

You need to make friends with a couple of the clerks who work that area so they can give you a heads up when it comes to clearance sales and new stock. 

4 hours ago, Rodent said:

During the last clearance, the HLs around here seemed to have a ton of MountNGoat kits on sale. The next time I visited my LHS, they had 10-12 MountNGoats in stock. Just sayin'.......

It must have worked out, I think they all sold. 

I wouldn't say there were like 24 people who wanted to build a MountNGoat... more like  some eBay or flea market seller now has 24 MountNGoats in stock! ?

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I wouldn't say there were like 24 people who wanted to build a MountNGoat... more like  some eBay or flea market seller now has 24 MountNGoats in stock! ?

That is too hilarious!

I honestly did buy nearly the entire line of Hawks "Weird-o's- from a guy once for less than he paid at a flea market, because he couldnt sell them online...

I paid like 2 bucks per kit.

Pretty hilarious.

Still not sure why I bought them... never even built the first one.

Then I bought up all of the "limited edition" Testors 1/35 Sturmtigers that came with display box and whatnot.... for 7 dollars a piece At Ollies a few years back. Still got a stockpile of those.

18 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Still seeing lots of Mount_n_Goats on eBay that were clearly bought at HL because the price sticker is still on there. Even worse is when they leave the clearance sticker on them and then put the minimum bid at 20 ?

31 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Still seeing lots of Mount_n_Goats on eBay that were clearly bought at HL because the price sticker is still on there. Even worse is when they leave the clearance sticker on them and then put the minimum bid at 20 ?

Not the best of business men there!  LOL   And still a lot of work for  $10 profit.

Edited by Tom Geiger

1 minute ago, Tom Geiger said:

Not the best of business men there!  LOL   And still a lot of work for  $10 profit.

Yea, those guys are fighting hard for peanuts! Lol.

Like somehow HL and the coupon is a secret... that and the 50% coupon that can be had at Michael's... even though they have very few kits, still not bad for a quick stash addition.

I went on a streak there for a while where I went by HL every day of the work week and got a kit a day... using the coupon. Then to Michael's once a week for 50% off... then to Ollie's weekly to check for new stock...

I racked up a stash QUICK...

My wife really hated that lol!

But then I learned (same as guitars) just wait until she is gone or asleep to sneak them in the house.

I went to Hobby Lobby today.  In the model kit aisle, an older guy (like me) walked up and asked if I built models.  Yep!

He said, "I've got a bunch of old model car kits I'd like to get rid of.  I'll never have time to build them and most are still factory-sealed.  Got some AMT, Monogram, Revell. T-Birds, Buicks, Fords, all kinds of cars..."

Of course I immediately thought: HOLY GRAIL!!! A barn find, stacks of early-60s AMT 3-in-1 kits, maybe some Revell '62 Chryslers, Monogram 6-in-1 Model A's...no telling what he might have...!!!

Then he said:  "These are all NASCAR kits."  From the 1980s-90s, he went on to say.

Well shoot. That dream didn't last long.

I suggested he try the local Wednesday flea market. But he'll have a LOT of competition there.   

I remember setting up at a hobby show/swap meet a couple of years ago, about 2-3 weeks after Ollie's had a bunch of Revell models on clearance for $7.99. There was one vendor who obviously thought the rest of us didn't know about the sale because kits he paid $7.99 for he had marked as $15 and up. It was quite obvious someone thought they could make a fast buck but they walked out with those same kits they walked in with.

If I buy up some kits at Ollie's or HL on clearance, it's because I will either use them for parts, build them or use them in trades but don't buy them in the hopes of doubling my money on eBay or at model show, not worth it.