Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford Indy DOHC engine 1/8 scratchbuilt

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2019 at 6:59 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Holy cow...that's some fine work there, sir. Most impressive. If you ever should decide to sell a kit, please let me know.

I’d buy one also. Maybe two...or three. (Wasn’t there a front engine dragster with two of these? That would be a wild model)

• 1 year later...
On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:12 PM, mad mike said:

I've heard several people say that a 1/8 model kit of the Indy was available some time ago,
if anyone has info or even pics of that it would be really great to hear about it.

I bid on what might have been an assembled version one of those kits a few years ago on the big auction site but lost to someone with deeper pockets  :unsure:  Unfortunately I didn't save the pics...

Incredible work sir !

Edited by mk11

In my  research (only as seen on google) I've not seen any others like this one.  Back in the 60s there was one in 1/8 scale that was available through a magazine ad however looking back now it was pretty crude.  I know a fellow that did some customizing on his and it is better.  I don't think it was offered as a kit.

05 1960s Ford 4Cam sml.jpg

06 1960s Ford 4Cam sml.jpg

2014 models 015 sml.jpg

2014 models 019 sml.jpg

Thank you, everyone, for the kind words.

A kit of this engine isn't totally out of the question. It's just a whole lot of work and ultimately it comes down to the costs of making it versus pricing. I'm thinking about it.

And hello John! Glad to have you around!!

On 1/26/2021 at 1:13 AM, mad mike said:

A kit of this engine isn't totally out of the question. It's just a whole lot of work and ultimately it comes down to the costs of making it versus pricing. I'm thinking about it.

If advance payment would help make it happen, let me know. I would REALLY like to have several of these.

Thanks. Lee

On 1/25/2021 at 11:13 PM, mad mike said:

Hi Mike, Glad to have found this forum too, it means making commitments though. Which is not always a bad thing.

Lee, I am working on putting together comprehensive production print sets of parts, to get the most bang for the buck, to be followed by getting quotes from 3D print companies.  A daunting task with the complexities of this project.  I don't have the production capabilities, and I know Mike has a head full of his own projects to keep him busy.  Well let you guys know as the project develops.

Thanks for all the great responses and interest.