Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Flat32

INSTA-CURE super thin CA warning

Recommended Posts

This may be one in a million, but maybe not.

I purchased a 2oz. plastic bottle of INSTA-CURE SUPER THIN cyanoacrylate from LOTS of MODELS a few months ago and had it on a closet shelf.

There appeared a large glob of glue on the outside of the container and ran down the side gluing the whole thing to the shelf.

I pulled it loose which opened a leak in the bottom and glue when everywhere, hands, clothes, floor, counter top, cabinet doors and a couple books.  Major mess.

You'd be surprised how far two ounces of super glue can go.  

I don't know if the container sprung a leak or if the cap leaked, but the glue defied gravity in that it continued to leak from near the top and sucking out the glue. I say sucking because the sides of the plastic bottle were collapsed inward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to the little Duro metal tubes from WalMart.   I was using Loctite for what $4 or 45 per bottle and it always went bad before I could use it.   Those little tubes come in a 4 pack and I actually use them up. Tube has the little metal cover on it until you puncture it with the nozzle.   Only issue I've had was didn't get nozzle screwed down all the way once and it leaked some.  And I swear it's better than any name brand I've ever used.  Sticks and doesn't fog as much for me.  Heck I've been installing windshields with it.  

I often put a drop or two on one of the plastic parts bags (I save them all for various uses) and use a pick to apply even more precisely.  

I have had lots of incidents with the bottles.    Tubes seem to be better for me all the way around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My leaker.  Super thin wicks more readily and I suspect this characteristic allowed it to wick up the sides inside the bottle, through a small opening in a poorly sealed cap and dribble down the outside.

 

CA glue leak.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow!! Ray, that is such a drag sir!  I truly hope your over-all

loses here were not too bad!?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shirt, jeans and set of underwear got doused over a palm sized area, solidified and trashed. Got pretty warm and the fumes weren't particularly pleasant. Took a while to get my doused hands and fingers cleaned off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 9:06 AM, randyc said:

Tubes seem to be better for me all the way around.

You have it all figured out!

I buy 12-packs of the little Duro tubes from Zoro after i discovered that the similar little tubes at Harbor Freight had only a few drops of material inside.

The little tubes never go bad until a month or 2 after they have been pierced, right!

Much less annoying to throw away a tiny tube of superglue than to toss a 2-4oz bottle that set up while mostly full.

Now, i'm gonna check the WalMart price for the same thing ;)

.................Alrighty, then. This product beats the Duro brand by a LOT

https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Pack-Permatex-4-Pack-Super-Glue-75187/229331071?selected=true

unless maybe you're taking advantage of Zoro's fairly common 20% discount and free shipping.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Slick Shifter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 9:06 AM, randyc said:

I went to the little Duro metal tubes from WalMart.   I was using Loctite for what $4 or 45 per bottle and it always went bad before I could use it.   Those little tubes come in a 4 pack and I actually use them up. Tube has the little metal cover on it until you puncture it with the nozzle.   Only issue I've had was didn't get nozzle screwed down all the way once and it leaked some.  And I swear it's better than any name brand I've ever used.  Sticks and doesn't fog as much for me.  Heck I've been installing windshields with it.  

I often put a drop or two on one of the plastic parts bags (I save them all for various uses) and use a pick to apply even more precisely.  

I have had lots of incidents with the bottles.    Tubes seem to be better for me all the way around.

That's funny cause I use the same duro brand... except I get it a Dollar General.

It doesn't seem to fog much on me either as I too have used in on my last 2 builds for glass.

I've found that the large bottles either dry out... and they usually have a big clunky tip on them.

I have also really been liking these tips and this glue.

15755050079679004198183057735089.thumb.jpg.1846f2b4fa256f685df3c742fe4160d7.jpg

15755050473946601570084892809469.thumb.jpg.4214c974889f67fa0f67f1f65b176b8d.jpg

Really nice for precision as the name implies. But those tips are amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Slick Shifter said:

You have it all figured out!

I buy 12-packs of the little Duro tubes from Zoro after i discovered that the similar little tubes at Harbor Freight had only a few drops of material inside.

The little tubes never go bad until a month or 2 after they have been pierced, right!

Much less annoying to throw away a tiny tube of superglue than to toss a 2-4oz bottle that set up while mostly full.

Now, i'm gonna check the WalMart price for the same thing ;)

.................Alrighty, then. This product beats the Duro brand by a LOT

https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Pack-Permatex-4-Pack-Super-Glue-75187/229331071?selected=true

unless maybe you're taking advantage of Zoro's fairly common 20% discount and free shipping.

 

 

 

 

Well, I bought a new 4 pack of Duro last night and it was $1.88 for the four tubes on a card.  Not much difference than the permatex pricing.  That's only a penny or two unless I'm missing something.  Either way, the tubes are working best for me.   And I end up with tubes spread out amoung the house and building so the wife has access for her stuff too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last time I bought CA it came from a gaming store not far from here.  The brand was "Army Painter" and it was in with their miniature painting supplies.  It's not as fast curing as some, but that works well for me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, randyc said:

Well, I bought a new 4 pack of Duro last night and it was $1.88 for the four tubes on a card.  Not much difference than the permatex pricing.  That's only a penny or two unless I'm missing something.  Either way, the tubes are working best for me.   And I end up with tubes spread out amoung the house and building so the wife has access for her stuff too.

If you have a dollar general nearby (I think they are literally everywhere) you can get the 4 packs of duro for 1 dollar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We got DGs about every third mile it seems.  LOL.   My wife LOVES DG.  WE have one about 2 miles from house.  We call it the "white Plains WalMart".  We live in White Plains, NC community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, randyc said:

Well, I bought a new 4 pack of Duro last night and it was $1.88 for the four tubes on a card.  Not much difference than the permatex pricing.  That's only a penny or two unless I'm missing something.  Either way, the tubes are working best for me.   And I end up with tubes spread out amoung the house and building so the wife has access for her stuff too.

Ah! I looked up the pricing on the WalMart website and it was $6.28 for a 4-pack of .07oz tubes. Yikes 😧

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Duro-Super-Glue-0-07-oz-Pack-of-4/49025443

Thanks for setting me straight! I'll get it at Wally World from now on!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...