Model Cars Magazine Forum

INSTA-CURE super thin CA warning

Flat32

This may be one in a million, but maybe not.

I purchased a 2oz. plastic bottle of INSTA-CURE SUPER THIN cyanoacrylate from LOTS of MODELS a few months ago and had it on a closet shelf.

There appeared a large glob of glue on the outside of the container and ran down the side gluing the whole thing to the shelf.

I pulled it loose which opened a leak in the bottom and glue when everywhere, hands, clothes, floor, counter top, cabinet doors and a couple books.  Major mess.

You'd be surprised how far two ounces of super glue can go.  

I don't know if the container sprung a leak or if the cap leaked, but the glue defied gravity in that it continued to leak from near the top and sucking out the glue. I say sucking because the sides of the plastic bottle were collapsed inward.

I went to the little Duro metal tubes from WalMart.   I was using Loctite for what $4 or 45 per bottle and it always went bad before I could use it.   Those little tubes come in a 4 pack and I actually use them up. Tube has the little metal cover on it until you puncture it with the nozzle.   Only issue I've had was didn't get nozzle screwed down all the way once and it leaked some.  And I swear it's better than any name brand I've ever used.  Sticks and doesn't fog as much for me.  Heck I've been installing windshields with it.  

I often put a drop or two on one of the plastic parts bags (I save them all for various uses) and use a pick to apply even more precisely.  

I have had lots of incidents with the bottles.    Tubes seem to be better for me all the way around.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2019 at 9:06 AM, randyc said:

Tubes seem to be better for me all the way around.

You have it all figured out!

I buy 12-packs of the little Duro tubes from Zoro after i discovered that the similar little tubes at Harbor Freight had only a few drops of material inside.

The little tubes never go bad until a month or 2 after they have been pierced, right!

Much less annoying to throw away a tiny tube of superglue than to toss a 2-4oz bottle that set up while mostly full.

Now, i'm gonna check the WalMart price for the same thing ;)

.................Alrighty, then. This product beats the Duro brand by a LOT

https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Pack-Permatex-4-Pack-Super-Glue-75187/229331071?selected=true

unless maybe you're taking advantage of Zoro's fairly common 20% discount and free shipping.

Edited by Slick Shifter

On 11/8/2019 at 9:06 AM, randyc said:

I went to the little Duro metal tubes from WalMart.   I was using Loctite for what $4 or 45 per bottle and it always went bad before I could use it.   Those little tubes come in a 4 pack and I actually use them up. Tube has the little metal cover on it until you puncture it with the nozzle.   Only issue I've had was didn't get nozzle screwed down all the way once and it leaked some.  And I swear it's better than any name brand I've ever used.  Sticks and doesn't fog as much for me.  Heck I've been installing windshields with it.  

I often put a drop or two on one of the plastic parts bags (I save them all for various uses) and use a pick to apply even more precisely.  

I have had lots of incidents with the bottles.    Tubes seem to be better for me all the way around.

That's funny cause I use the same duro brand... except I get it a Dollar General.

It doesn't seem to fog much on me either as I too have used in on my last 2 builds for glass.

I've found that the large bottles either dry out... and they usually have a big clunky tip on them.

I have also really been liking these tips and this glue.

15755050079679004198183057735089.thumb.jpg.1846f2b4fa256f685df3c742fe4160d7.jpg

15755050473946601570084892809469.thumb.jpg.4214c974889f67fa0f67f1f65b176b8d.jpg

Really nice for precision as the name implies. But those tips are amazing.

15 hours ago, Slick Shifter said:

You have it all figured out!

I buy 12-packs of the little Duro tubes from Zoro after i discovered that the similar little tubes at Harbor Freight had only a few drops of material inside.

The little tubes never go bad until a month or 2 after they have been pierced, right!

Much less annoying to throw away a tiny tube of superglue than to toss a 2-4oz bottle that set up while mostly full.

Now, i'm gonna check the WalMart price for the same thing ;)

.................Alrighty, then. This product beats the Duro brand by a LOT

https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Pack-Permatex-4-Pack-Super-Glue-75187/229331071?selected=true

unless maybe you're taking advantage of Zoro's fairly common 20% discount and free shipping.

Well, I bought a new 4 pack of Duro last night and it was $1.88 for the four tubes on a card.  Not much difference than the permatex pricing.  That's only a penny or two unless I'm missing something.  Either way, the tubes are working best for me.   And I end up with tubes spread out amoung the house and building so the wife has access for her stuff too.

55 minutes ago, randyc said:

Well, I bought a new 4 pack of Duro last night and it was $1.88 for the four tubes on a card.  Not much difference than the permatex pricing.  That's only a penny or two unless I'm missing something.  Either way, the tubes are working best for me.   And I end up with tubes spread out amoung the house and building so the wife has access for her stuff too.

If you have a dollar general nearby (I think they are literally everywhere) you can get the 4 packs of duro for 1 dollar.

6 hours ago, randyc said:

Ah! I looked up the pricing on the WalMart website and it was $6.28 for a 4-pack of .07oz tubes. Yikes ?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Duro-Super-Glue-0-07-oz-Pack-of-4/49025443

Thanks for setting me straight! I'll get it at Wally World from now on!

• 3 weeks later...

Rooting around my stuff I found my other 2 oz container of Insta-cure, had bought two and forgot.  I can honestly say TWO in a million.  This one is no hazard because ALL of the stuff got out of the bottle somehow and is a solid layer in the bottom of the box I put it in.  Absolutely no indication that the glue escaped via the spout or screw on lid.

I've purchased a couple varieties of Loctite, but wanted the super thin and also purchased a bottle of the insta-cure with the Bob Smith Industries brand name and in 1 oz. size.  This one I'll have to hide in the fridge in a glass cup. 

Been using the CA to glue 3D printed PLA plastic.  Just discovered by accident that there is a solvent that will work as a solvent glue on PLA like acetone works with styrene. Called methylene chloride and supposedly also can be used to smooth out layer lines on PLA filament prints the same way acetone is used on ABS filament prints.

I struggle with the CA.  It's messy and somewhat unpredictable in my hands.

Oh yeah, got a batch of the Flexi tips and used one on my Bob Smith Insta-cure bottle.  Made a mess because the Flexi tip split and leaked at the big end.

Edited by Flat32
added info

21 hours ago, Flat32 said:

Been using the CA to glue 3D printed PLA plastic.  Just discovered by accident that there is a solvent that will work as a solvent glue on PLA like acetone works with styrene. Called methylene chloride and supposedly also can be used to smooth out layer lines on PLA filament prints the same way acetone is used on ABS filament prints.

Tenax 7X fast-evaporating styrene cement was basically Methylene Chloride.  Some Plexiglas and Lucite cements are also Methylene Chloride.  Yes, it is a strong and fast-evaporating solvent which melts many types of plastics.  But it is hard to find nowadays (and it is also nasty chemical hazardous to human health).  Where did you find Methylene Chloride for sale?