Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can we see your model stash?

I dont have any pictures right now but I have more models than I can build in my entire lifetime. My wife at one point said no more models until you finish one. One gets finished, then you can get one to replace it.

I have more models than my local hobby store has. I made a joke one time saying that to him because I only buy paint from him. He asked why I dont buy any models.  I told him I'm not allowed anymore because I have a stash larger than his stock. He didnt seem pleased but it was true

Edited by youpey

17 minutes ago, youpey said:

I dont have any pictures right now but I have more models than I can build in my entire lifetime. My wife at one point said no more models until you finish one. One gets finished, then you can get one to replace it.

I have more models than my local hobby store has. I made a joke one time saying that to him because I only buy paint from him. He asked why I dont buy any models.  I told him I'm not allowed anymore because I have a stash larger than his stock. He didnt seem pleased but it was true

My wife understands what I do and that is , what I am buying now is simply there to remind me of the thousands of hours I spent, as a teenager, building models. I may never build them. I don't care.

All I need to do is simply go look at them and in them and I am 17 again. They are , for me , my time machine.

I am so glad that Round 2 and others have brought so many back to me to re-live.

Mike

2 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Some of these stashes are impressive to say the least.

Now, I'm guilty of this too, so I'm not pointing any fingers at anyone, but...

What's the point?

I think a lot of us have more kits than we'll ever get around to building. I mean, there are a lot of people on this board in their 60s, and they have literally 100s of kits. The reality is, they won't all get built.

It's like those guys that have an old muscle car rotting away on their property, but they are adamant that they'll get it fixed up.

So why do we do it?

I have no rational explanation for why i collect as many kits as I do. I always buy with great expectations and plans, but then the kit goes in the pile.

Why do we do it?  When I started looking to buy kits there was very few at the hobby stores anymore. That was the start of the decline.  I found the toy shows in Toledo and was surprised at the prices of kits and things that you just could not find. I have no real reason for buying what I do. Better than paying for beer only to flush it 30 minutes later. LOL

I'll post some pics when I get home, but while I worry sometimes if I'll get to the 30-40 kits I have, it makes me feel a little better when I see the number of kits some of y'all have.  

I can relate to the comment about the feeling from having kits from our youth.  Most of my kits are stuff that I either built or wanted to build when I was a kid.

Also, I assume some of y'all are like me, and have a build planned (or know which parts you bought it for) for each and every kit in the stash.  

2 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Why do we do it?  When I started looking to buy kits there was very few at the hobby stores anymore. That was the start of the decline.  I found the toy shows in Toledo and was surprised at the prices of kits and things that you just could not find. I have no real reason for buying what I do. Better than paying for beer only to flush it 30 minutes later. LOL

LOL , I hear you !!!

1 hour ago, JJ Deuce said:

I'll post some pics when I get home, but while I worry sometimes if I'll get to the 30-40 kits I have, it makes me feel a little better when I see the number of kits some of y'all have.  

I can relate to the comment about the feeling from having kits from our youth.  Most of my kits are stuff that I either built or wanted to build when I was a kid.

Also, I assume some of y'all are like me, and have a build planned (or know which parts you bought it for) for each and every kit in the stash.  

We own a model train shop and I tell guys all the time "it is not about how many we have or the money we have or the talent we may have. It is DO WE HAVE FUN "

Yes we do.

1 hour ago, Jantrix said:

I try to keep it right around 80 kits. It's a managable number, they stay in one location and within arms reach of the work bench.

We have similar taste's and I used to work for AMC and looking to get one of the Matador kits.

Mike

1 hour ago, Fifer said:

We have similar taste's and I used to work for AMC and looking to get one of the Matador kits.

Mike

Took me forever to find a Matador kit that wasn't ridiculously high priced!

Glad I found one. We had a 73-74 Matador growing up. Lots of memories with that car.

5 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

What's the point?

I think a lot of us have more kits than we'll ever get around to building. I mean, there are a lot of people on this board in their 60s, and they have literally 100s of kits. The reality is, they won't all get built.

It's like those guys that have an old muscle car rotting away on their property, but they are adamant that they'll get it fixed up.

So why do we do it?

I have no rational explanation for why i collect as many kits as I do. I always buy with great expectations and plans, but then the kit goes in the pile.

As long as I don't and to the stash and I live to 89, I should be able to build all the models in the stash, although i can't guarantee either will happen....

5 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

What's the point?

So why do we do it?

As long as I don't add to the stash and I live to 89, I should be able to build all the models in the stash, although i can't guarantee either will happen....

3 hours ago, JJ Deuce said:

This describes at least half of the kits in my stash. Stuff I built when young, that eventually broke or was blown up or lost or whatever.

And now I have the means to be able to buy those kits whenever I find them, and buy those kits I always wanted.

And yes, EVERY one has a vision attached to it!

I downsized and still have way too many, but I continue to  buy more! I will NEVER build them all. I also don't build much now because of work and life always taking priority. I guess I am saving them for when I retire, which will be within the next 5 years. I am afraid to get rid of stuff because I don't know what I will actually build when I do have more time. I already sold an original Monogram 1932 Ford Sport Coupe and MPC 1968 Impala SS ht and have serious sellers remorse for doing so. I would like to replace both , but when they come up on ebay both are bring big $$$.......I think I will wind up getting rid of a lot more when I do retire and can figure out what I want to do.