Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can we see your model stash?

34 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

You know I think would be interesting? The ratio we all have of built to unbuilt.

Rough calculation...for every completed model on my shelf, there's about 9 unbuilt in the stash.

I would say that may be a good guess for most of us! LOL

2 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Trying to reduce it further.  I unloaded about 150 before the move.  Looking to knock it down by another 200-250.

Gerry , I hope you do what ever you like and all goes well. These hobbies should be fun and if they start to cause stress , it is time for a change.

Thanks , Mike

Ratio of built to unbuilt, interesting thought. I have 83 built and roughly 800 unbuilt, in my mind, I’m doing pretty good?

like a lot of you guys, I have bought a lot of kits from my youth that eventually I want to recreate, I can remember the colors I used on them, and can now build them much better. I also have a lot of big rigs and trailers, lusted after them as a kid, but they were twice the cost of a car kit, so I never bought/built any, so now as an adult , I’ve bought all the rig kits I always wanted. And like many of you, just looking at the box art zooms me right back to when I built the kit as a kid, right down to the strong enamel paint smell and the not on purpose tube glue high......, lol.

15 minutes ago, tbill said:

Ratio of built to unbuilt, interesting thought. I have 83 built and roughly 800 unbuilt, in my mind, I’m doing pretty good?

like a lot of you guys, I have bought a lot of kits from my youth that eventually I want to recreate, I can remember the colors I used on them, and can now build them much better. I also have a lot of big rigs and trailers, lusted after them as a kid, but they were twice the cost of a car kit, so I never bought/built any, so now as an adult , I’ve bought all the rig kits I always wanted. And like many of you, just looking at the box art zooms me right back to when I built the kit as a kid, right down to the strong enamel paint smell and the not on purpose tube glue high......, lol.

Oh the glue tube high and sitting at the corner desk in my bedroom for hours on end , in my own racecar world.

Mike

2 hours ago, Fifer said:

Gerry , I hope you do what ever you like and all goes well. These hobbies should be fun and if they start to cause stress , it is time for a change.

Thanks , Mike

Just have too many that I know I will not build.  At my rate, I'll be over 200 to get through them (not counting any I might buy as well).  I am just rearranging what my build likes are and culling out the ones I am least likely to enjoy building

I beginning to think I've got some catching up to do with a few of you.  ?. My built to unbuilt ratio is maybe 1 to 5 but it depends on the scale.  I've built most of my 1/43 kits but are much further behind in other scales except for 1/16 and larger of which I have about less than ten total.  I have not counted lately but I am pretty sure I have less than 300 unbuilt kits.  As for diecast, that's a whole other issue where it's over 2,000.   Here's a sample.

IMG_6063.JPG

Edited by vamach1

Let’s just say that I have way too many that I’ll probably never live long enough to build! Maybe my grandsons will enjoy them?

Although I enjoy seeing everyone’s collection, you may want to think twice about posting those photos.

A few years ago, one of our Forum members, “Disabled Modeler”, had his home burglarized over the Christmas holiday while he and his wife were away. The thieves made off with a lot of his valuable models. If that wasn’t bad enough, they deliberately smashed some of his built-ups, some of which had been built by his father and were precious heirlooms to him. He always felt that it was an “inside job” by someone who knew what he had.....

1 hour ago, ToyLvr said:

Let’s just say that I have way too many that I’ll probably never live long enough to build! Maybe my grandsons will enjoy them?

Although I enjoy seeing everyone’s collection, you may want to think twice about posting those photos.

A few years ago, one of our Forum members, “Disabled Modeler”, had his home burglarized over the Christmas holiday while he and his wife were away. The thieves made off with a lot of his valuable models. If that wasn’t bad enough, they deliberately smashed some of his built-ups, some of which had been built by his father and were precious heirlooms to him. He always felt that it was an “inside job” by someone who knew what he had.....

I am sorry this happened.

9 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

You know I think would be interesting? The ratio we all have of built to unbuilt.

Rough calculation...for every completed model on my shelf, there's about 9 unbuilt in the stash.

175 built-ups. Roughly 800 unbuilt, or barely started. Whatever ratio that works out to be. My math ain't good this time of night! LoL

The comparison of built to unbuilt is an interesting question indeed.  I have 196 built models and 403 unbuilt kits or pretty close to 1:2 ratio.  I also have 344 diecast all in 1/24th scale except for 4 which were bought for reference for 1/24 builds.  I do have a plan for each of the kits but realistically will never finish them all even though I am now retired.

I am fascinated looking at the pictures and one thing jumps out at me and that is the number of duplicates in many of the photos. 

11 hours ago, vamach1 said:

I beginning to think I've got some catching up to do with a few of you.  ?. My built to unbuilt ratio is maybe 1 to 5 but it depends on the scale.  I've built most of my 1/43 kits but are much further behind in other scales except for 1/16 and larger of which I have about less than ten total.  I hav don't counted lately but I am pretty sure I have less than 300 unbuilt kits.  As for diecast, that's a whole other issue where it's over 2,000.   Here's a sample.

IMG_6063.JPG

That is an amazing collection Rex.

17 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Doesn't include the aftermarket or diecast.

SAM_2982.JPG

[...]

I should become friends with some of you! ?

These pictures are a few years old now.  A store was going out of business, bought the rolling shelf unit, took some pictures for the "before" shots.  ?  Thought I had all the models I wanted, but this forum has corrupted me by discovering subjects that I didn't know existed.  Have also learned to get something while it's available, because so much is limited production, or there is a tragic loss and you will never see it produced again.  I would like to think it's an investment, some kits never gain value, and others surprise me when I look at eBay.  Have a list, 155 kits, plus a bunch of aftermarket stuff such as engines and photo-etch; build ratio is about 03%.  Today, a goal is to continue de-cluttering my work area, some of you are extremely neat, makes me ill. ?

IMG_6418_Fotor.jpg

IMG_7035_Fotor.jpg

One of my projects I actually got finished this summer was to organize my kits in some sort of categorized fashion. I have added only a couple more since these pictures. I am beginning to think about selling off to fund a long languishing 1:1 Sprite project.

Showrods

2019Showrods-vi.jpg

Showrods and drag

2019Showrodsanddrag-vi.jpg

Drag race and closed course

2019Dragandclosedrace-vi.jpg

Race and street rod 1

2019raceandstreetrod1-vi.jpg

Race and street rod 2

2019raceandstreetrod2-vi.jpg

Street machines and unboxed rebuilders

esandunbokedrebuildersandmisc_-vi.jpg

Oddballs 1

2019oddballs2-vi.jpg

Oddballs 2

2019oddballs1-vi.jpg

Overflow

2019overflow2JPG-vi.jpg

The back 40. Older build-ups, unfinished projects, and purchased build-ups.

IMG_1958-vi.jpg

IMG_1959-vi.jpg

IMG_1960-vi.jpg

Edited by Scott Colmer

28 minutes ago, SCRWDRVR said:

This is about half of mine, the other half is in a spot I really can’t get a good pic of, that half is mostly Nascar, Rigs and a few 1/16th cars...

A2E40E78-20A5-40FE-ACC5-5B84E207CBFB.jpeg

What a great work area and collection !!