Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can we see your model stash?

Just made a spreadsheet because I knew I had several duplicates.  Overall, a little over 60% of my total stash (52 kits at the moment) is duplicates.  Of those, almost 20% is one kit, 10 copies of the Revell ' 69 Corvette (in a few variations).  followed closely by 5 copies of the Revell '69 camaro (9.6%).  

I need a dedicated hobby room.  For now the kits and supplies are stashed in my mechanical room.  I have an outbuilding with a/c we use for a gym, mostly.  I have thought about setting up a permanent workspace out there so I don't have to clean up kits mid-build.

I use copier paper boxes to store most conventional kits, 6-7 kits AMT/R-M per box, probably 4-5 Tamiya/G-Revell style kits per box. Promo style boxes 16 per box. You can stack them 4-5 high, label outside, and move easily, find stuff easier. Not a lot of duplicates, so I need to sort and group kits by type usually (32's/Showrods//Annuals etc). Builts I sort by year. Resin I always use shelves, try to keep bodies flat to avoid warp. Boxes take less room than shelves.

Like Tom's signature, floor load is biggest concern. Boxes do make it easier to take stuff to shows sometimes, as easy to pack. HTH.

You guys have a lot of nice stuff. 

I have a load of duplicates.  I go to a lot of shows, and I will buy different $5 kits just to use for parts.  I will also buy cheap kits of kits I like... 1950 and 1953 Ford pickups, Monogram Model As,  AMT 55-57 Chevy pickups.  In fact at one point I realized I had a dozen 1950 Ford pickup kits. I took 5 open ones and dumped them into a plastic tub to work out of.  It makes it easy to take chances on modifications since I have more.  I probably screwed up three interiors to get the sectioned one into the Scary Little Rod!

I also buy cheap kits for favorite parts.  Anything with a 6 cylinder engine,  AMT Dusters and Revell Darts for chassis for future Valiant models.  AMT '57 Fords for future old custom restorations...  that kind of stuff.

• 1 month later...

Long ago, I attached shelves to the walls in the hobby room. I have the stash of kits grouped by manufacturer, such as AMC, Dodge, Ford, Buick, etc. Within those groups are sections of sub-groups, like Chargers, Mustangs, Corvettes, Impalas, Ford pickups, and so on. Helps me keep it straight in my own head! LoL I have all of them listed on spreadsheets on the computer, in case something bad happens.

On 11/10/2019 at 10:55 AM, StevenGuthmiller said:

There is only a small part of my stash that's really relevant to me, and that's my vintage stuff.

The rest of the several hundred kits that I have, I view as largely a collection of donors waiting to give their lives for the sake of the vintage kits! :)

A good portion of the vintage kits aren't even in original boxes, which is fine with me.

I don't build boxes. ;)

image.thumb.jpeg.93ea184768049fc17732dfe1175bfc7a.jpeg

Steve

Nice stash!!! The 68 R/T the 66 Bonnie and the 69 GP are a some of the last few I am looking for.

On 11/11/2019 at 9:01 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

Having seen so many collections, here's some food for thought: What percentage of your stash is multiples of the same kit?

For me it would be about 10% at the most.

Due limited budget and space My duplicates are probably less than 5% (Except for 68,69,70 Chargers)

I am going to consider myself fortunate as I only have 2 genre of interests. Muscle car era cars (+/- a few years before and after) and American semis. I have 98% of what I intend to build. My build ratio is about 20%. I am still young enough that I MIGHT actually get most of them built. However the purchase compulsion is VERY hard to resist. The fist pic is the wife's view. The 2nd is only HALF of what is in the cabinet. The 3rd is the builts at the end of 2018.

IMG_1175.JPG

IMG_1176.JPG

IMG_0857.JPG