Model Cars Magazine Forum

Autocar DK Dump and trailer

Starting my next build.  Using 2 MPC Gravel trailer kits, an A-car A64B and AITM A-Car DK conversion.  The idea is to bob one dump kit to a dump body, put that and the DK on the A64B chassis and then add the full trailer behind.  The Gravel trailer kit has parts and instructions to build a 2 axle dolly in addition to the truck mounted dump body.  I'm planning some extras for the truck and some mods to the trailer.  Cab and chassis color hasn't been finalized yet but will likely be one of the Aztek line Pearls, maybe a custom blend.  Additional aftermarket parts might be from George Wallace, Moluninum and czech truck.  Had another color idea this morning so things might change, they usually do until I start shooting color. 

Why the A64B over the Dump kit?  I prefer the A64B chassis, the rear axles on the dump have a wider gap that looks a bit odd to me.  The A64B rear axle spacing seems to suit this build better, you'll see why as it goes along.

P1020874.jpg

One of the gravel trailers is now cut down to a dump body.  I think I'll skin the inside of the tailgate, don't care for the recesses.  I'm holding off on the supports underneath until I have a rolling chassis to be sure the spacing is right.  The dolly is coming along and I'm working on my paint mix for the chassis, dolly and cab.  Truck chassis is next, started the engine and am finding that the part numbers in the instructions aren't close to the corresponding numbers on the trees.

P1020875.jpg

P1020877.jpg

I started the A64B frame tonight, currently weighted down to take the slight warp out of it.  I thought I'd share a tip or two for the first time conversion builder.  The AITM cab/hood conversions are very nice but in general aren't just a drop on; you need to make some adjustments.  So, when building the frame, for now I leave off the rear cab support and the front fender supports as they may need to be moved from their stock locations.  I'll know what the placement is when I get the cab going.  Steering gear will likewise be located once the cab is in progress.  One other point, look ahead....far ahead.  This build is going to have a dolly and trailer behind the dump truck, so I needed to incorporate the hitch assembly that comes in the dump trailer kit with the A-car chassis.  This means I had to move the A-car rear crossmember forward to allow the gravel trailer hitch crossmember room to fit and be flush with the frame rail ends.  I'll post pics of this later once the glue sets.  I also haven't determined if I'll have to make any length changes to the frame, that will be coming soon.

Edited by Warren D

The truck frame is far enough along to fit the dump body.  I removed the kit plastic pivot pins as the dump body and frame will be different colors, easier to paint subassemblies!  I'll insert a brass rod when done to do the same thing.  Dump body is almost ready for paint and getting the cab fit to the frame is next.  Then the frame accessories need to find a home, I think the battery box and tank from the Pete wrecker that became the Brockway wrecker will be just right for this build.  I do need to get going on the trailer dump, but there is a lot of other stuff going on.  I did skin the inside of the tailgate, pics at some point.

P1020880.jpg

Edited by Warren D

With the unused parts from the gravel trailer kit, you can make a 2 axle dolly.  Pretty much ready for paint, but I may have to make the pintle loop as the kit doesn't seem to have one.  I checked the other kit and can't find one in there either.  

As I started cleaning up the AITM DK conversion kit, I've found the interior to be identical to the A64B kit so I'll be using that interior. 

P1020882.jpg

On 11/12/2019 at 3:50 PM, Warren D said:

One of the gravel trailers is now cut down to a dump body.  I think I'll skin the inside of the tailgate, don't care for the recesses.  I'm holding off on the supports underneath until I have a rolling chassis to be sure the spacing is right.  The dolly is coming along and I'm working on my paint mix for the chassis, dolly and cab.  Truck chassis is next, started the engine and am finding that the part numbers in the instructions aren't close to the corresponding numbers on the trees.

P1020875.jpg

P1020877.jpg

I will  have to remember this trick for a future build. Great idea and execution. 

11 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

I will  have to remember this trick for a future build. Great idea and execution. 

Thanks, I like the look of the rounded bottom for the dump body.  Looks different than the squared off bodies in other kits.  There are cut lines molded in and the instructions kinda tell you how to do it.  I'd suggest you make the cut to the generous side and then sand the parts to fit.  I use a belt/disk bench sander then finish with sandpaper glued to a sheet of thick glass.   I used metal paper binder clamps to hold the inner and outer bodies together while the glue set. 

Been making decent progress while trying to recover from a strep throat.  I fit the cab and found it doesn't need any more than a few minor tweaks to get it where it should be.  I'm able to use the A64B kit glass and interior and the cab and fender mounts seem pretty close in  their stock location.  I recycled the fuel tank from the Pete wrecker as well as the battery box.  Both fit the chassis well, the kit parts won't work with the tag axle.  I got the tag axle from George Wallace, I need to finish the main wheels and rims and get the tires mounted to determine the final tag axle height.  I decided to use the trailer wheels I had leftover from the Lindberg Dodge/tanker kit.  Used the tank body on the Brockway water wagon project.

Dump body is painted, cab has it's first color coat (will see how it dries, might be the final color coat as well!)  There was a local contractor a bunch of years ago that ran a fleet of Pete dumps with green cabs and gold dump bodies, so yes, the gold dump body has been done.  I think there will be just enough room behind the cab for the hydraulic oil tank for the hoist.  Still a long way to go and I haven't even started the dump trailer yet..... BTW, you can see the inside of the tailgate, got skinned.

P1020883.jpg