Model Cars Magazine Forum

IPMS Scale Model World, Telford UK 2019

GeeBee

32 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Thanks for sharing.  I take it this was a national level show by the sheer volume of entries.  Love the rally cars, good to see they are so popular.

Yes, years ago it was called the IPMS Nationals,  although the competition entries are upstairs in a different room that only IPMS members can go and see, I gave kept up my membership for a few years,  I'm thinking of rejoining very soon. 

1 hour ago, Luc Janssens said:

Did Revell make any kind of announcement there, like Q1 2020,

I'm not there this year, but Revell has never announced anything at SMW in all the years I have been previously. They tend to to keep their powder dry and announce their next year's range at the Nuremberg Toy Fair in mid-January. Telford is more about having real built-ups of their current year's Q3 and Q4 offerings that they are trying to get out before Christmas... Airfix gets the visibility of a "big shout", but even their announcement is just one "headline" item, and the rest is announced in January...

best

M.

2 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

I'm not there this year, but Revell has never announced anything at SMW in all the years I have been previously. They tend to to keep their powder dry and announce their next year's range at the Nuremberg Toy Fair in mid-January. Telford is more about having real built-ups of their current year's Q3 and Q4 offerings that they are trying to get out before Christmas... Airfix gets the visibility of a "big shout", but even their announcement is just one "headline" item, and the rest is announced in January...

best

M.

On January 1st. Revell announces their new lineup Q2 - Q4, but Q1 I recall was always in November.

14 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

On January 1st. Revell announces their new lineup Q2 - Q4, but Q1 I recall was always in November.

Fair enough... I’ve never seen any “announcement” at the booth at SMW, though, and our CBK SIG display table has been about 3m away on the opposite side of the walkway/aisle from the Revell booth for at least the last five years, so we would have noticed a crowd gathering or a “big reveal”...

The latest newsletter is dominated by Star Wars kits, ready for the Rise of Skywalker...

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

• 3 weeks later...

Gee Bee can I correct something you said in your post?  At Telford the competition area is indeed upstairs away from the main show but it is not restricted just to IPMS members only to view the models. The only time when there is very limited access is for a period when the actual judging takes place on the Saturday. Only the judges and members of the committee running the competition have access to the competition area at that particular time. Outside of this the area is open both to the general public attending and also IPMS members.

On 11/26/2019 at 4:22 PM, Bugatti Fan said:

Gee Bee can I correct something you said in your post?  At Telford the competition area is indeed upstairs away from the main show but it is not restricted just to IPMS members only to view the models. The only time when there is very limited access is for a period when the actual judging takes place on the Saturday. Only the judges and members of the committee running the competition have access to the competition area at that particular time. Outside of this the area is open both to the general public attending and also IPMS members.

Too be honest i wasn't too sure, it's been a few years since I was a member of the IPMS, I'm going to be re-joining again this year.

• 1 month later...