Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Pontiac chassis color

Those cars had frames, so the body would be built and painted in a different area than the frame. To the best of my knowledge the frame was painted chassis black, a semi gloss. The underneath of the body would be primer. But its been along time so I might be wrong.

Semi-gloss black frame, with red oxide primer on the bottom of the sheet metal, body colored over spray along the edges. No over spray on the frame, it was attached later in the process!

Flat black for undercoating; along the transmission/driveshaft tunnel, as well as the the area under the rear axle. Amounts varied according to assembly plant and the guy spraying it! This coverage was the bare minimum, cars headed north would have more applied, usually at the dealership.

This should be accurate for 95% of GM intermediate cars of the 60s and 70s, or awfully darn close.

15 hours ago, Casey said:

Thanks for the link. I have always been a big Pontiac fan and worked in a Pontiac dealership for many years. The body lines and everything else about those cars from the late '50's on where just the finest to me anyway. 

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

My only question would be, where did you find a '64 Catalina? :)

Steve

Its a resin body kit from ebay, did come with interior, wheels and bumpers though.  Kinda rough but the shape looks pretty good and I figure could be something special with some extra work. 

(sorry for the bad cell phone pic)2019102095150038.jpg.2b420105417d77eae80a92e8651daf0e.jpg

2019102095150047.thumb.jpg.24fbae8fc994b07b785a3225cb578e65.jpg

Edited by djflyer

2 hours ago, mk11 said:

Here's a, um, retired '64 laurentian  :)    Even with north of the border cars using the '58-'64 chevy x-frame, underbody priming practices were probably similar.

2015-07-18 13.58.09.jpg

Must have taken 20 or so people to roll that one over......??