Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 El Camino - Rebuild

TooOld

Originally built in 2013 this is a replica of a '60 El Camino I once owned with a 283 4-speed , painted Roman red ,  and with Impala interior and body trim .  The Impala trim was a factory installed option for El Camino's built at GM's Oakland California plant . 

I was never happy with the wheels & tires I used on it . Since then I've found the correct ones and two weeks ago it was time to change them out . As long as the model was being partially disassembled I decide to modify the front for poseable steering and lower the ride height .  To accomplish all this the chassis would have to come out and the front and rear suspensions taken apart . 

Disassembly and re-assembly went smoothly with only minor mishaps .  Both door handles fell off , so did the exterior mirror and the upper radiator hose .  Of course the chassis didn't slip right back in but a little fiddling with the interior and everything was okay . I expected it to be much worse . 

To see all of the "in progress" photos and complete descriptions go to my Fotki page at the following link : 

https://public.fotki.com/TooOld/models/cars--trucks/1960-el-camino/ 

I really like the appearance of this El Camino. Amazing the paint finish still looks this nice after all the man handling of being disassembled. The "little" 283 with the old Duntov 30/30 cam were great performers. I still have a partially done '60 El Camino kit somewhere. Did you have to add the Bel Air trim to the body on this ? While I also have a couple of the AMT '59 El Camino kits I wish they could reissue the '60 also.       

5 hours ago, Tom99 said:

Very nice!

Thanks Tom !

5 hours ago, donb said:

This is a well done model Sir. Valve covers look great and the interior is super nice. And if course the color. Sharp car. 

Thanks Don ! Yep my favorite color ! :)

4 hours ago, Plowboy said:

That is one sharp looking El Camino! Everything is done nice and neat. Nice work!

Thanks much Roger !

1 hour ago, larman said:

Beautiful build!

Thanks Larry !

1 hour ago, espo said:

I really like the appearance of this El Camino. Amazing the paint finish still looks this nice after all the man handling of being disassembled. The "little" 283 with the old Duntov 30/30 cam were great performers. I still have a partially done '60 El Camino kit somewhere. Did you have to add the Bel Air trim to the body on this ? While I also have a couple of the AMT '59 El Camino kits I wish they could reissue the '60 also.       

Thanks !  The 283 was really quick and it wasn't nose heavy like a big block would've been .     If you go to my Fotki page you'll see how the body and trim was done .  Here's the link https://public.fotki.com/TooOld/models/cars--trucks/1960-el-camino/ 

57 minutes ago, olschoolkid said:

Beautiful El Camino. 

Thanks !

42 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Wow!

That's some superb work there Bob!

Nice job!!

Steve

Thanks very much Steve !   When I could still see and wasn't all thumbs I did more than just "out of box" builds . :D