Model Cars Magazine Forum

Upcoming Car Kit News from NNL Motor City

tim boyd

Starting with....the Revell '29A Roadster kit, with small block Chevy engines this time, should be at the stores sometime first quarter 2020.  No definitive news just yet on the '30A Coupe; keep those cards and letters coming as they say!  

DSC 0734

DSC 0737

The Moebius Belvedere A/FX kit is just about reading to go into production, with proofing the decal sheet and the final version of the assembly manual the remaining steps to come and imminent as we speak.  Probably Q1 2020 for arrival here....

DSC 0723

Three induction options, and and parts/decals for two different versions of the Golden Commando original will be in the kit, along with many extra/unused parts from earlier versions of the kit tool.  

DSC 0722

A peak underneath, courtesy Dave Metzner of Moebius 

DSC 0720

All the parts trees for the upcoming Land Rover 4x4 were on one the three Revell tables.....

DSC 0744

The resin guys were showing new (at least they are new to me) product as well.   These were seen at the Missing Link Replicas booth...

DSC 0987

DSC 0989

More pictures of the new products at all the tables at this link....

Thanks for looking....TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Thanks for this post. Funny thing is that last night I was actually going through your fotki albums, looking at real cars from shows that you have on there, when I saw the Motorcity NNL 11/19. For me, personally, the model A is great news and pretty much the only “new” release I care about from the bunch. I looked at your pictures over and over and it looks to me that the two box art models that were present are having two different chrome wheels. Or at least the fronts look different. Yet on the box cover, the art shows steelies. Now, from the first edition, the models on your pictures and the box art, I see that the kit will still come with two frames, two different complete interiors and the two choices of induction on the Chevy. But can you shed some light on the wheels? A steely and chrome option? Two chrome options? Or total of three wheel options, with steelies and two different chromies? 
thank you. 

57 minutes ago, mrm said:

But can you shed some light on the wheels? A steely and chrome option? Two chrome options? Or total of three wheel options, with steelies and two different chromies? 
thank you. 

To me it looks like only one "chrome" option, the Halibrand style wheels that were originally in the 30 Coupe. On the builtups the set on the black car appears to have its centers painted.

Here's a closeup of the side of the box...

image.png

Edited by Mr. Metallic

2 hours ago, mrm said:

Thanks for this post. Funny thing is that last night I was actually going through your fotki albums, looking at real cars from shows that you have on there, when I saw the Motorcity NNL 11/19. For me, personally, the model A is great news and pretty much the only “new” release I care about from the bunch. I looked at your pictures over and over and it looks to me that the two box art models that were present are having two different chrome wheels. Or at least the fronts look different. Yet on the box cover, the art shows steelies. Now, from the first edition, the models on your pictures and the box art, I see that the kit will still come with two frames, two different complete interiors and the two choices of induction on the Chevy. But can you shed some light on the wheels? A steely and chrome option? Two chrome options? Or total of three wheel options, with steelies and two different chromies? 
thank you. 

Michael, as Craig notes jut above, the kit will have two sets of wheel options. 

The first are the four steelie wheels with hub caps and trim rings. 

The second option is the four Halibrand/ "Salt Flats" style wheels that were first seen in the '30A Coupe during the brief time it was available for sale.  But the key here is that the front wheels are a somewhat different style, while still related to, the rear wheels with the basic Halibrand-style design DNA.  

Hope that explains what you saw a little more clearly, and glad you enjoyed lookin at the albums from the full size car shows...TIM 

50 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Michael, as Craig notes jut above, the kit will have two sets of wheel options........

2 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

To me it looks like only one "chrome" option, the Halibrand style wheels that were originally in the 30 Coupe.......

Thank you both. I am familiar with two previous kits. For some reason, the fronts on the two buildups looked different to me. 
   Now, since obviously both of you have a piece of Revell’s ear and your opinions are well respected in the industry, would you please tell Revell, that after 25 years of enjoying their plain-Jane boring 9” Ford rear end, it is time to finally add a proper quick change rear, so we don’t have to hunt Red Barons and Paddy Wagons for one? 

20 hours ago, tim boyd said:

DSC 0737

Thanks Tim.

This is a great kit, I am excited to see it re-issued.

The last few years seem to have been a turn of a page in the book of Revell box-art. Seeing more of these illustrated box tops, a shift from the matter-of-fact look of the special editions or street burner kits.

I'll admit, I am a sucker for box art, and I like this one (although, I say ditch the driver). The illustration of the car specifically, seems very similar to the AMT '25 chopped T re-issue, due to be on shelves around the same time. I also like the look of the Revell's special edition boxes, but I guess that's a decade-old look now. Wonder how many more of those we will see..

All I know, is that I am building mine with the blower and some FAT tires. Great tires in this kit, but they will go on something else. 

11 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Thanks Tim for keeping us up to date.  Did Ed have a ETA for the Baja Bandito VW kit? thx

Dave....sorry, didn't take time to ask.  Ed was a little (actually, very) busy and I didn't want to distract him from potential customers!   Best....TIM

2 hours ago, mrm said:

Now, since obviously both of you have a piece of Revell’s ear and your opinions are well respected in the industry, would you please tell Revell, that after 25 years of enjoying their plain-Jane boring 9” Ford rear end, it is time to finally add a proper quick change rear, so we don’t have to hunt Red Barons and Paddy Wagons for one? 

Michael, gotta agree with you on that one! 

While the intent of the kit designer (who is a 1/1 scale street rod owner/builder himself) was for a "driven" vs. a completely "traditional hot rod" configuration (thus the 9" and coil overs), you, I, and many others I've heard from think it's time for Revell to do a Halibrand QC with transverse leaf setup in one of their hot rod kits!  

Cheers.....TIM 

Definitely looking forward to the roadster.  I had an idea for an Indy style roadster build with the coupe wheels when they first came out.  This saves me having to buy two kits.

And I would be totally down with a transverse spring and quick change option, especially as Revell has done some very nice quick change rears in the past.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

I can even daydream and imagine that it’s time for another ‘32 release too. Now that they have followed their fabulous 3-window and roadster with the very specific Dan Fink Speedwagon and then repeated the exercise with the introduction of the 5-window and Tudor Sedan followed by the very specific again Rat Roaster, they can introduce a Victoria body and a B400 (for the sake of sharing interiors, which could come from the Speedwagon)and follow them by a certain very specific Foose designed LE Phaeton, which can use all interior parts and flattie option from the Tudor, right down to the spoked wheels. Just throw a quickchange rear and an extra induction option. It’s still reusing 80% of the existing masters. 

Edited by mrm

10 hours ago, Casey said:

Conspicuously absent from the Moebius table, the '64 and '65 Chevy II kits. ?

I thought those got caught up in some licensing snags, no? I would love to see them, someday!

If that Land Rover kit was the shorter wheelbase I would be all over it. One can hope that they bring it back some day soon.

Instead of another "typical" Halibrand QC, how about an early one, or a different brand instead?  I wouldn't mind seeing a more correct ARDUN conversion either.  Not on the Model A kit(s) as they are likely fully formed, but if another such project is attempted...

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Instead of another "typical" Halibrand QC, how about an early one, or a different brand instead?  I wouldn't mind seeing a more correct ARDUN conversion either.  Not on the Model A kit(s) as they are likely fully formed, but if another such project is attempted...

All spot on comments in my view.   Taking it a step further, I'd like that Ardun to include a S.C.o.T. blower on top as well....  TIM

I got all of the roadsters I wanted the first time around. So, I'm good on those. I'm guessing that since the roadster now has the Chevy engine, the coupe will have the Buick engine? I passed on the coupe the first time around because I didn't like the goofy looking headers. I don't understand why they had to put the hump in the rear header pipe to clear the steering shaft on the Chevy engine (sure doesn’t make sense on the passenger side). But, didn't on the Buick engine. Small thing to some or most. But, it was enough to keep me from buying it. If the coupe comes with the Buick engine and better headers, I'll definitely get one.