Model Cars Magazine Forum

Upcoming Car Kit News from NNL Motor City

tim boyd

53 minutes ago, Mark said:

I'd suspect that "something happened to" the Buick engine and maybe other parts, and that will leave the coupe to include the Chevy engine (or perhaps something else) if it should reappear.

What makes you think that?

Tim Boyd has stated before with first hand knowledge that it was always Revell’s intention to reissue these kits with the engines swapped around. That’s why they both come with 20 radiator hoses each. Haha

I actually feel the more natural looking aesthetic arrangement is with the Chevy in the roadster and the Buick in the coupe. I think the Halibrand style wheels look more at home on the roadster, too. 

As a strictly scale hot rod builder I plan do buy these up this time around. They are treasure troves of kit bashing parts!

When these kits first came out, I was already planning on swapping the engines, so Revell has done what I had thought of back then. Like Dennis, I'll be getting a couple of these kits when they appear.  I'll be waiting patiently for the Coupe when it comes back. I have no doubt that Blitz Partners will leave that kind of sales potential on the table, so I'm hoping that the Coupe will return someday.  I am keen to see what other surprises this tool family has in store for us, as well. There could easily be more variants from this family that we know nothing about.

For now though, I'll be happy to build a couple fresh new Roadsters.

I never had the original issue roadster, gone before I got one, as was the coupe. The test shot headlights seem awfully googly-eyed/huge/outboard than I remember though. Doesn't even match box art drawing. Are there smaller headlights? Or was the original this way? I looked at Tim's site way back, but it's not what I recall. 

OK, just read Tim's review again. It has a set of smaller HL like the 32's. But still, the mounting looks odd to me. Original box art that way too I guess. Lots of parts, looking forward to getting one. 

Edited by DukeE
looked at review

If I had to pick a quickchange rear end, I would go for the Winters one. The reason why is, because of its versatility. Ifprovided on a chrome tree,it gives you the option of completely changing its character by simply painting it different. You can paint it same color as the entire rear end. You can paint just the center section magnesium for a raw look. You can leave it all chrome or you can color code the center cover and leave just the ribs chrome. I believe it would be smart to include a quickchange that could be built both as a vintage look and as a modern one. The more uses each part of the kit has, the more profitable it’s going to be. 

Good to see the Model A kits coming back. Whenever the Coupe kit comes out again, I'll need to buy one or two as I missed it the first time And that Moebius AWB Plymouth is one of those kits that I'm going to need multiple copies.

The Chevy II and Nova kits will probably be out some time as well. When there was a huge amount of speculation about those kits having somekind of licensing issues, I sent an E-Mail to Moebius asking if it is true and will the kits be seen in the hobby shops in the future. I can't remember the answer exactly, but the message was that the kits will be out.

Those Chevy kits were shown as rapid prototypes and then Moebius was promptly sold to Pegasus. So unless something has changed, there's nothing to show because the tooling hasn't been cut for them yet. The new Fords and the various AWB kits are easier to push out because that tooling was cut prior to the sale (for the Fords) and years ago for the Mopars and Mercury.

7 hours ago, 1320wayne said:

Tim, did I notice that the AWB 65 will come with two sets of stacks? Both short and tall?

Wayne, Dave said that there will be one set of stacks, and the instructions will include directions on how to shorten them for the alternative application......TIM 

17 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

Thanks Tim for a fabulous album of photos. I am not sure how almost a week went by before I noticed your post. I thought I was just going to see photos of new releases so was very surprised and pleased to also see the incredible models that were displayed at the NNL.

Phil....very much appreciate your feedback.

I posted a link to the entire show coverage under the "Contests and Shows" section down the Forum, but judging from the number of views of that and other similar events, it appears that most people on this Forum don't actually scroll down that far to look at that folder....at times, myself included.   TIM  

Edited by tim boyd

Yes, it is coming,and pretty soon from what I understand.

It is a modification of the excellent AMT-Ertl 1970 1/2 Z-28 kit originally dating from 2000 or so.  There are already a number of pictures of the box art circulatingso I did not photograph the box art at the NNL Nats show...TIM  

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2019 at 1:31 PM, Dennis Lacy said:

What makes you think that?

Tim Boyd has stated before with first hand knowledge that it was always Revell’s intention to reissue these kits with the engines swapped around. That’s why they both come with 20 radiator hoses each. Haha

I actually feel the more natural looking aesthetic arrangement is with the Chevy in the roadster and the Buick in the coupe. I think the Halibrand style wheels look more at home on the roadster, too. 

As a strictly scale hot rod builder I plan do buy these up this time around. They are treasure troves of kit bashing parts!

I have a sinking feeling that Revell salvaged what they could from the two sets of wrecked molds and combined the '30 and '29 parts into one release. I hope I'm wrong.... -RRR