Model Cars Magazine Forum

Work in progress Dan Gurney 1980 Riverside 500

yellowsportwagon

Being a huge Dan Gurney fan I had to check out your project and find out more about. You are doing a fantastic job on this project and I look forward to seeing it being under glass.

Dan was the master of Riverside having won there many times. As has been noted' he had not raced for 10 years. Yet was able to start seventh and work his way up to second before dropping out with transmission problems while running third. The back story is very interesting. There is a good summary on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Gurney

59 minutes ago, Phildaupho said:

Being a huge Dan Gurney fan I had to check out your project and find out more about. You are doing a fantastic job on this project and I look forward to seeing it being under glass.

Dan was the master of Riverside having won there many times. As has been noted' he had not raced for 10 years. Yet was able to start seventh and work his way up to second before dropping out with transmission problems while running third. The back story is very interesting. There is a good summary on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Gurney

You’ll like this one too then. Gurney and Donohue were the best ever.

CD56D0E3-D187-461F-9DB3-FC510A426CCE.jpeg

4408B837-09D8-4750-B9BD-29DEBE6FFF64.jpeg

5E09DCAC-8F32-4666-9830-1074B265C17D.jpeg

643F35D9-FFA4-4776-86A9-7CED11418D88.jpeg

85379E31-E3A6-448B-A096-FF221BC29012.jpeg

13 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

Tim, not sure, but I think I've seen the Superbird before, but its still one of the best I have ever seen done. My memory is funny. I can remember things form the fiftys and sixtys better then I can remember the last couple of years. 

Feel you there man. I have put the Bird up before.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2019 at 10:49 PM, yellowsportwagon said:

Forgot the red stripes on the front 

B9E5F4B3-00D2-496B-8BBE-3C596FD09AEE.jpeg

Do you know the reason for the red stripes? Possibly a team car painted the same way and they needed a way to tell them apart? Things like this peak my interest. Again , Awesome job on this build. 

On 12/20/2019 at 2:30 PM, MarkJ said:

Do you know the reason for the red stripes? Possibly a team car painted the same way and they needed a way to tell them apart? Things like this peak my interest. Again , Awesome job on this build. 

I have no idea on the stripes. The car was an Osterlund rental Hence the color blue. White substituted for the yellow.

• 1 month later...

Great tips here on making the kit body look better! I will certainly use a few on my build. 

I don’t know about the red stripe either, but there is a red stripe included in the Salvinos JR Bobby Allison 1981 Riverside winner kit also. It is a red stripe for the top of the grille.