Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tough day in "the Room"(name for model room

A friend was over and I just polished and wet sanded my resin 65 Dodge Coronet 2 dr post..While sitting at desk I put the completed chassis(minus axles and rear end and exhaust) to see how it fit..It didn't tuck up into body or under hood didn't match with fenders..You could see sides of chassis hanging down..Was looking forward to working lots on it but not now..Going to have to do some grinding either to completed resin body inside, or chassis to make fit under hood..Got to keep cool so I put it in box and put it away for another day and maybe some red wine to work with..Ended up groking some kits and criticed my 63 Impala that doesn't need much to finish..Turned out to be a good afternoon..Forgot to mention we went to a local hobby shop(Hobby Sense)to check out the stock..Lots of stock and good selection..

Ha!  My first model room in my first house was called "The Dope Room".  Not that I ever did dope up there... it was the upstairs bedroom in a Cape Cod style house with sloping walls under the roof.  It was all painted flat black with black light fluorescent painted stuff on it.  When we first saw it my wife said, "It looks like somewhere people go to smoke dope!"  and the name stuck.    It took like 5 coats of white primer to hide that fricken black paint! 

I have some times been called  "the troll from the basement". My office is a more common reference. The reality it is a finished bedroom in the basement with windows looking out on the back yard with heat and A/C overhead fan and light kit. I have an old roll top desk as a work surface and a computer table for that. Book shelves to display past builds and some reference materials. A walk-in closet for additional storage plus storage un the unfinished part of the basement. I have no reason to feel sorry for myself and spend as much free time as I can down in the "Dungeon".        

On 11/12/2019 at 3:08 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Ha!  My first model room in my first house was called "The Dope Room".  Not that I ever did dope up there... it was the upstairs bedroom in a Cape Cod style house with sloping walls under the roof.  It was all painted flat black with black light fluorescent painted stuff on it.  When we first saw it my wife said, "It looks like somewhere people go to smoke dope!"  and the name stuck.    It took like 5 coats of white primer to hide that fricken black paint! 

If you built balsa wood model airplanes, then “dope room” might be appropriate?

8 hours ago, moparfarmer said:

Here are two pictures of "the Room" complete with red wine and some fumes(lacquer thinner" and the music is playing  "Fumes,Tunes and Wine"

Wayne's model show case  October 4 2017.jpg

Wayne October 5 2017 Fumes,tunes and wine.jpg

Wayne getting ready to enjoy some wine at the bench.jpg

Now that's what has been missing in my little corner of the house. A nice full bodied Zinfandel with a smooth finish. I don't think Lacquer would do anything for the wine's "nose" ..