Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Pontiac 2+2

I looked through some of my resin references that I have bookmarked, and I don't see or know of anyone that makes one.

I don't know how proficient you are at bodywork, but one could make a 2+2 coupe from the AMT '65 Grand Prix.

Wack off the roof from the AMT Bonneville, graft it on the lower body of the Grand Prix, and change the rear end a bit to suit a Catalina, and you've got a convincing replica!

You'd also have to change some minor things such as removing the fender skirts from the Grand Prix, as well as using the grille from the Bonnie. Also don't forget to change the left side upper window area to make it more symmetrical (and correct) to the right side.

I'm surprised no one has done this one, as this is definitely a "Missing Link" from the resin world! :P

Yeah, Shawn was one of my "sources" that I looked up for that car. Here's a list of what he currently makes-----this comes from John Sharisky's Fotki site.............

carpenterlist-vi.gif

If he did make that year Catalina and it turns up on eBay for instance.............expect to pay MEGA bucks for it!! :o

That one is truly a rare beast if in resin---------it'd be much more cost effective for one to scratchbuild their own since the kits needed are pretty much available.

AMT blew it years ago when they tried to foist that turkey of a kit which they called a "2+2"--------but was nothing more than a Bonneville with the trim removed. They did nothing to the actual body length of the car as it still has that long a$$ back end and too long wheelbase. :P

:angry: Dro, Using a 1/25th scale ruler, measure from the rear Backlight lower trim 6 in, this will be your 1st cut. Cut down verticaly till you are 3 in. from the center sculpture line that runs the length ot the car. if you turn it over and look, it should have cut the interior locating posts exactly in half.Now, make a horizontal cut 2 1/2 ft(to scale)towards the front of the car.Now, cut UP from the rear wheelwell thru the sculpture line to meet the horizontal cut. you now have 2 peices of body. remove 6 scale inches from the trunk lid area, and the same amount from the area over the wheelwell area of the same peice.Glue the rear peice back onto the body.Re-enforce the back of the cuts with 10 thous..sheet plastic.The body is now(or should be) the proper length for a Catalina. From the REAR edge of the doors, measure 1 1/2 ft(to scale) and using a moto-tool CAREFULLY grind the front of the rear wheelwell to shape.You'll see what I mean, once it all starts coming together. Not alot of work, just some careful cutting an measuring.It(mine) came out pretty good if ya ask me. The chassis will need to be altered likewise, but thats not hard either.ALL in all it's a pretty easy conversion, but I think AMT shoulda done it for us!!!Now, the only problem is the rear taillights must be made SHORTER, because the Bonney's taillights are too long.(3sections, as opposed to 2 sections for the Cat.) If I wasn't so stupid, I could post pics so you could SEE how I did it, But....... Either way, try it , it's not hard and it does make the difference.

Here's a couple pics of the '66 that Steve mentioned...............

66pontcat2dr.jpg

2nd66pontcat2dr.jpg

I gotta say that IS a nice conversion! I wouldn't mind building that one myself!

:angry: Dro, Using a 1/25th scale ruler, measure from the rear Backlight lower trim 6 in, this will be your 1st cut. Cut down verticaly till you are 3 in. from the center sculpture line that runs the length ot the car. if you turn it over and look, it should have cut the interior locating posts exactly in half.Now, make a horizontal cut 2 1/2 ft(to scale)towards the front of the car.Now, cut UP from the rear wheelwell thru the sculpture line to meet the horizontal cut. you now have 2 peices of body. remove 6 scale inches from the trunk lid area, and the same amount from the area over the wheelwell area of the same peice.Glue the rear peice back onto the body.Re-enforce the back of the cuts with 10 thous..sheet plastic.The body is now(or should be) the proper length for a Catalina. From the REAR edge of the doors, measure 1 1/2 ft(to scale) and using a moto-tool CAREFULLY grind the front of the rear wheelwell to shape.You'll see what I mean, once it all starts coming together. Not alot of work, just some careful cutting an measuring.It(mine) came out pretty good if ya ask me. The chassis will need to be altered likewise, but thats not hard either.ALL in all it's a pretty easy conversion, but I think AMT shoulda done it for us!!!Now, the only problem is the rear taillights must be made SHORTER, because the Bonney's taillights are too long.(3sections, as opposed to 2 sections for the Cat.) If I wasn't so stupid, I could post pics so you could SEE how I did it, But....... Either way, try it , it's not hard and it does make the difference.

YIKES!! :blink: :blink: George my man, that is waaaaay too much work!! ;)

You wanna make the man go crazy? B)

One of these fine days when I get back into the superdetailing mode (The Ford's about got me burned out) I'm going to do a roof swap of the '65 Bonneville/Grand Prix..............I'll do a step by step how to here in the "On the Workbench" section. :o

:angry: Yeah Bill,Steve, It may be a bit of cuttin involved, but this way I dint have to cut up 2 bodies. Besides, this is the kinda stuff I like to do, just to see if I can.Yeah I know, I'm kinda twisted that way.But wot the hey, it's ONLY plastic.I DO likeses that 66 body though, an mebbe I'll be pickin that rascal up, cause I can already see a 455 sleeper in it! B)

I have one of Shawn Carpenter's convertibles 2+2 and like the 62 Grand prix it is beautiful. I would like to do a hardtop and I tried to order 10 years ago a 2+2 from All American Models but he never filled the order. The 66 MCW car is the wrong roof line as it is a sedan. Thanks for everyones input.

Uh George Hernendez is correct in what he did , only I built mine years before I saw this post. I took the Bonnivile-2+2 and shortened it through the trunk area. I used an Impala top guide me . the overall look came out pretty well and i wish it wasnt so difficult for me to post pictures up here or I would take pictures and show all. Ed Shaver

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, Shawn was one of my "sources" that I looked up for that car. Here's a list of what he currently makes-----this comes from John Sharisky's Fotki site.............

If he did make that year Catalina and it turns up on eBay for instance.............expect to pay MEGA bucks for it!! :D

That one is truly a rare beast if in resin---------it'd be much more cost effective for one to scratchbuild their own since the kits needed are pretty much available.

AMT blew it years ago when they tried to foist that turkey of a kit which they called a "2+2"--------but was nothing more than a Bonneville with the trim removed. They did nothing to the actual body length of the car as it still has that long a$$ back end and too long wheelbase. B)

Thanks fr posting Shawn's Info Bill, I have been wanting to find more info on him for years.... I got to say that I had an odd experience with AMT's 2+2 first release, as when I first saw it open, I too thought it was their Bonne kit repopped...... From what I saw, the majority was just like the Prestige Series Bonne that I had, but the 2+2 body,Interior and Chassis seemed like they were all slightly smaller than the Bonne, and I couldn't get the parts to interchange with the kits when I tried....

• 1 month later...

I have the All American '65 2+2 Hardtop and the Shawn Carpenter '65 2+2 Convertible in resin. Both transkits have had the corrections in the body, and looks true to the subject, only needing the AMT '65 2+2 kit for the other parts. I believe the All American kit had the tail panel corrected, but not the side window profile (a minor fix) on the roof. If I can find them, I will photograph them and post the photos.

Just last week there was an original All-American 65 2+2 0n Evil bay. I don't know what it ended up goin for, but when I saw it it wasn't all that expensive. Someone got a GREAT deal on it! :)

The person who got that great deal has yet to pay for it after a week (I looked up the auction, it's a friend of mine who sold it, and we just had lunch a little while ago). The fine individual who "won" it sniped it at the last moment, and has yet to contact the seller.

Don't expect to see it back on Feebay for awhile if the sale doesn't go through. It should have gone for more.

Drodq,

I converted the AmtErtl '65 B-2+2 to a Catalina. Actually the cuts were very easy. The wheelbase and all measurements from the front of the rear wheel-well forward were so close (Cat vs Bonne) that I only made the cut adjustments to the rear clip.

Also had to shorten the chassis (behind the gas tank) to fit the new rear clip,

Here are some pics.

IMG_0196.JPG

IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0209.JPG

I just got George's 65 Cat it looks super. I will post pics of it later tonite. Hope to have it in rubber soon.

So keep an eye out for this item from Carbon Copy Resin.

Bill Geary if you are going to the MAMA's X-mas party on the 20th I will let you see it.

Ariel :P

I just got George's 65 Cat it looks super. I will post pics of it later tonite. Hope to have it in rubber soon.

So keep an eye out for this item from Carbon Copy Resin.

Bill Geary if you are going to the MAMA's X-mas party on the 20th I will let you see it.

Ariel B)

That looks great and the last few weeks I forgot to check Ebay and missed it! Thanks for everyones input.

• 3 years later...

carpenterlist-vi.gif

If he did make that year Catalina and it turns up on eBay for instance.............expect to pay MEGA bucks for it!! :blink:

AMT blew it years ago when they tried to foist that turkey of a kit which they called a "2+2"--------but was nothing more than a Bonneville with the trim removed. They did nothing to the actual body length of the car as it still has that long a$$ back end and too long wheelbase. :angry:

can you still purchase these items ? i would really like the 57 gmc parts

WOW, I had forgotten I sent the master to Ariel over 4 years ago. Haven't seen nor heard from him since. probably will never see it again or get it back, but hey, THAT'S how ya learn, an WTF, I can always do another one. I'd assume Jim you could contact Shawn at the phone number or E-mail addy shown at the bottom of Bill's post. It would be nice to see it as a kit conversion though.