Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Kenworth T600A Canepa

I can't even believe I'm posting this.

Really not happy with how this turned out, so maybe I'm just posting as a warning to others.

This is a horrible kit. The instructions are ridiculously vague about placement of everything. Fuel tanks, battery box, side fairings, everything.

Very little fit correctly, and it took an insane amount of test fitting, shaving, more test fitting, trimming, repeat, etc.

This is the sort of kit, that when given to a child as a present, it killed their excitement for the hobby, and made them turn to video games.

I know, I didn't paint the Kenworth emblems.

Also missing the headlights. Joys of buying an old second hand kit I guess.

From what I've seen here and online, I think I might be the first person to ever build it using the Canepa hubcaps. ?

I also have an original issue Kenworth W925 on the bench, 70s issue I believe, and it's surprising how much of that kit is in this newer kit. Almost the entire chassis, the engine, tanks, battery, most of the interior. Almost completely interchangeable. In fact, if the W925 kit didn't have the rear torsion bar suspension, I daresay I could have swapped the bodies between the two with no problems. And the instructions are slightly better too.

I have the standard T600A in the stash. Not sure how badly I want to build that one now.

Anyway, here is what a year of on/off cursing and building ended up like. The trailer is the Moebius 53ft, built a year or so ago. Went together perfectly.

20191111_153504.thumb.jpg.f659808b5fd3c370826ebf599cbaa0f5.jpg

20191111_153540.thumb.jpg.a6e2da8b78beded231221b8ca5c61525.jpg

20191111_153822.thumb.jpg.b90aa5d8dc5d6fe2693d2050b4ad916d.jpg

20191111_153833.thumb.jpg.09072436b92631f9cc86144bce4c6d7d.jpg

11 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I can't even believe I'm posting this.

Really not happy with how this turned out, so maybe I'm just posting as a warning to others.

This is a horrible kit. The instructions are ridiculously vague about placement of everything. Fuel tanks, battery box, side fairings, everything.

Very little fit correctly, and it took an insane amount of test fitting, shaving, more test fitting, trimming, repeat, etc.

This is the sort of kit, that when given to a child as a present, it killed their excitement for the hobby, and made them turn to video games.

I know, I didn't paint the Kenworth emblems.

Also missing the headlights. Joys of buying an old second hand kit I guess.

From what I've seen here and online, I think I might be the first person to ever build it using the Canepa hubcaps. ?

I also have an original issue Kenworth W925 on the bench, 70s issue I believe, and it's surprising how much of that kit is in this newer kit. Almost the entire chassis, the engine, tanks, battery, most of the interior. Almost completely interchangeable. In fact, if the W925 kit didn't have the rear torsion bar suspension, I daresay I could have swapped the bodies between the two with no problems. And the instructions are slightly better too.

I have the standard T600A in the stash. Not sure how badly I want to build that one now.

I built this kit several years ago, sometime in the mid 90's. and I don't remeber any big issues with the kit, it's kind of regular AMT old truck kit, the instructions hasn't been a strongpoint for AMT as they can be quite vague.
It's not a big surprise that the chassis and drivetrain looks the same, they are the same as the T600 is based on the old W925, the difference may be if your kit has the early torsion bar suspension wich was replaced with the walking beam quite early, otherwise everything is the same...so it's not really correct for the more modern T600.
I don't see anything wrong with your model and I think you did a good job on it.

???

Looks like you did a VERY decent job on this one....   I'm like Hermann, I am not quite as fond of the design as I am of the earlier KW's, but your's looks like a bunch of them I see running up and down I-20.....   Back to the original statement.....   Very decent job on the build.

DJ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...