Model Cars Magazine Forum

airbrush whoa !

Wonderiing what I'm doing wrong using the airbrush, My paint job is not consistent with the shade . House of color paint, has sat for well over 3months, I shook it ,for awhile, then took a skewer stick to stir for just a bit . What I notice was at the bottom of the bottle there was a blue layer of Paint. (?) This color is Lavender ( Purple) inside .. I even held the brush close to the model ,to get a nice consistent shade. This happen with nail polish Camaro I did , that turn out better. Thanks Mike.

Course you probably know that you want all that pigment mixed back into the paint first off.

You need a doner/mule body to just practice combinations of thinning and air pressure settings on, as well as shooting distance. And practice a lot, practice over one shade of primer and when you get that down, try another shade of primer ( primer levels the playing field between types of plastic and shades or colors or tonal shifts and paint grip to plastic). To me experiments are half the fun of airbrushing and you will get better and better at it fairly quickly without endangering a build. I use pill bottles too, I have a gallon freezer bag full of them to experiment on. That works but a body is better because it's broader coverage.

Think lower air pressure settings if shooting lacquer ( as opposed to enamels and acrylic).

Edited by Dave G.

12 hours ago, 10mm Nut said:

The make real nice little battery powered paint stir tools. They run about 10 bucks or so. Mine came from MegaHobby or Tower Hobbies. Badger is the name brand.

I bought one of those too and it works great! I used to shake all my paints to mix them and now I can't get the lids off of a couple of them. The mixer eliminates this problem!:D

I use hose clamps to clamp bottles and cans to the blade of my reciprocating saw.  It will shake a vessel of paint like nobidy's business.  I've shook more paint than saw things apart probably.  And you could probably put a bb in the bottle for even more agitation.

5 hours ago, randyc said:

I use hose clamps to clamp bottles and cans to the blade of my reciprocating saw.  It will shake a vessel of paint like nobidy's business.  I've shook more paint than saw things apart probably.  And you could probably put a bb in the bottle for even more agitation.

That sounds like some pretty serious  shaking going on there Randy. I have heard of Zero Paints bottles which come with a ball bearing included  actually breaking when they are given a good shake up.

The resulting mess can only be imagined  so I always follow the advice of putting the bottle in a zip lock plastic bag before proceeding.

13 hours ago, Roncla said:

That sounds like some pretty serious  shaking going on there Randy. I have heard of Zero Paints bottles which come with a ball bearing included  actually breaking when they are given a good shake up.

The resulting mess can only be imagined  so I always follow the advice of putting the bottle in a zip lock plastic bag before proceeding.

Umm yeah, I can see that.  I haven't used a BB or anything in bottles on teh sawzall.  Haven't needed it.  the action of the saw mixes the paint nicely.