Model Cars Magazine Forum
alexis

Morning Gripe. 2 Litre Bottles

We can do so many things. Why can we not, Design and sell a cheap  Bottle that pours properly? Even Motor Oil Bottles now have air return channels. Why are stuck with the Miserable 2 Litre bottle that splashes every where? Are we such a lazy, cheap culture that we won't do better just because of inertia, and the cost of change?

Wait, don't answer that.........

I already know the answer. I'm off to get a new keyboard. Coke and Desktops don't mix, before you have had your caffeine.

Edited by alexis

Alan it has to do with the carbonation and the way the bottles are made. Different restrictions on bottles that have carbonation. They are made by a 2 step process involving injection and blow molding. They are always trying new things so never say never. 

Thanks, Andy, but we've had those Lousy Bottles for what, now, 25 Years? The Motor Oil Bottles are Blow Molded as well.

I appreciate the info, but I'm still hating on the 2 Litre. Heck, the Greeks solved this problem 2000 years ago.

Edited by alexis

I remember when 2L plastic bottles come out here in Canada back  around '77 or so.  If you dropped it the right way it would explode ! 

Ah I remember when they first came out! We were in disbelief that plastic would work. Now it’s pretty much mainstream and all the glass plants went out of business.

i remember working in the Cumberland Farms convenience store prior to this. The soda was against the front window in the summer sun. And all of a sudden bottles would start to explode! Take cover! 

I don't drink much soda, but do like a Coke or Cherry Coke occasionally. I stick with cans..used to think some brands tasted funny in plastic bottles. 

Edited by Rob Hall

Hey, I hope they stay as they are! It took me two bottles and four tries to shrink mold a good back window for my '59 Plymouth... tango_face_grin.png.402d221458fcb4f83fe1f5f94398d306.png 

I never have problems pouring from the 2 liter bottle. I just drink directly from it, no problem!

If you don't want my germs, don't drink my Dr. Thunder! :lol:

Snake, a Man after my Own Heart! Just leave the Mtn Dew where I set it, and we'll all be okay.......

Man, I hate admit it, but I am hooked on the stuff.

11 hours ago, alexis said:

Thanks, Andy, but we've had those Lousy Bottles for what, now, 25 Years? The Motor Oil Bottles are Blow Molded as well.

I appreciate the info, but I'm still hating on the 2 Litre. Heck, the Greeks solved this problem 2000 years ago.

Longer than that. The new 23 years ago or so was the old style Coke bottle in plastic. Along with that came the 5 foot base so they did not have to have the plastic cup on the bottom of the bottle. This was cheaper and stronger and let the bottle stand up on it's own. When they had the coke bottle the way they wanted they started on the sprite bottle with the little round bumps in the side. 

To make it easier Alan just drink it down to the top of the label and refill with your favorite mixer. 

3 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Longer than that. The new 23 years ago or so was the old style Coke bottle in plastic. Along with that came the 5 foot base so they did not have to have the plastic cup on the bottom of the bottle. This was cheaper and stronger and let the bottle stand up on it's own. When they had the coke bottle the way they wanted they started on the sprite bottle with the little round bumps in the side. 

To make it easier Alan just drink it down to the top of the label and refill with your favorite mixer. 

That's right!  Back then the plastic bottles' bottom was dome-shaped, and it was glued into a plastic cup base.  Come to think of it, I still have one of those (1 liter) bottles hanging around, but it is now holding Ferric Chloride (copper enchant).  Yes, it is clearly labeled with what is inside. But I think it is a green bottle (could be from 7UP).