Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin 1962 Ford

cobraman

Time to start this kit . Going to try and build something similar to my first car . It won’t be exact as my car was a four door and this body is a two door . I thought about modifying it but thought better if it . I didn’t want to risk messing up what to me was a expensive kit . Funny when I bought the car I paid my dad 50 bucks for it and this kit was about twice that . I got the AMT 60 Ford kit to supply needed parts and was surprised to see that some of the resin kit parts were casted from the AMT kit . Anyway , shooting for the correct color and wheels and tires . If I pull that off I will be happy . 

4ED5FC7D-1D02-4BE4-BCE6-2D2A26977332.jpeg

A6DE0A2E-EA42-45E9-9006-F72FD9D40F47.jpeg

31949DF1-1DA1-409F-86A5-9F566A7C65AC.jpeg

Watchin this one closely.... My first car was also an Antique White ‘62 Galaxie 4 door sedan with a 352 and Ford O Matic with Blue vinyl interior. I drove that car about 4.5 years... I’ve owned a total of three over the years including a Chestnut convertible like my model.  Who did the resin body..?

0303EA0C-AFFE-4809-AB91-95F486613590.jpeg

Edited by Keesee17

I like where this one is going. I have an old Modelhaus 62 Galaxie 500 Hardtop to build one day. I was given a clean 62 Sunliner that will be rebuilt one day, and a black sunliner that I brought back from gluebomb hell a couple of decades ago. It still on my collection. I plan to clean it up, and install a set of full wheelcovers that I acquired for it. Right now it has baby moons on chrome reverse wheels on pin whites. I'm going to call it Perry Mason. He had one on the tv show. I also have an old Hubley Country Sedan. I think it is a promo, and fortunately there is no warp, but all of the chrome is shot. It is ugly. I ant to make a Country Squire out of it

Nice progress.
The blue engine made me react...Ford didn't start to paint the engines blue until late 1965 for the 1966 model year, 1962 it should be black and the round decal on the valve cover says it's a HP engine so gold or chrome was the color for the valve cover and air cleaner.

Thanks for the info but I am not trying to make a exact replica since its only a two door kit anyway so I am taking some liberties. As for the question earlier about the caster...... I checked the mailing address and it says from Brent Chapman....... A W Chapman Fabricators.  Does that mean anything to anyone ?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I am still plugging away on this thing. I am having some trouble ( a bunch ) getting the 60 Ford chassis to fit inside the resin 62 body. To avoid throwing it I am only working on it a little at a time. I just discovered that the back seat package shelf was not letting the body sit right. Fingers crossed that the worst is behind me. ?

3 hours ago, cobraman said:

Hey guys, I am still plugging away on this thing. I am having some trouble ( a bunch ) getting the 60 Ford chassis to fit inside the resin 62 body. To avoid throwing it I am only working on it a little at a time. I just discovered that the back seat package shelf was not letting the body sit right. Fingers crossed that the worst is behind me. ?

Whoever casted that resin kit, looks like they did  a quality job. Looking at the floor pan, it looks like a MCW casting. 
The few 62 cars I’ve built, I’ve always had problems with the firewall being way to wide, and needing to remove material from each side of it in order to get it to fit into the body right. 
The last one I built was having a problem with the rear seat and package tray also. What rear seat are you using? Did a rear seat come with that kit?

This is my favorite type of build of all ... a car you owned! I've done (or started) most of the cars I've owned.  This is a good example of what I've encountered, close but with modifications, depending on how insane you are.

Good call about the doors, only you will even think about it. :)

At last !  I got the body on the chassis. Oh happy day ! But wait ! Now the hood does not fit. Hood fit before so something went wrong. I guess the best way to go forward is to trim the hood sides. It may require that i will have to repaint the hood after the modification but after the chassis fight that should be pretty simple. Ya right.

How stupid can one person be ? Probably should not admit this but.....  So, I had to modify the hood on this car to fit. I sanded down the edges till I had a good fit. I of coarse ruined the paint so I had to repaint it. No big deal. Stripped it, primed it and went out to garage to respray it. That's where the problem started. I had purchased 3 different color blues to test so I could get the color closest to the color my car was. You can probably see where this is going. Yes, I selected the wrong one and sprayed the hood the wrong color. I will start over tomorrow.

Ray, don't worry about it!  I am also stoopid!  I am trying to get the Blue Beetle off my bench.  I had the body all painted and ready to go onto the fenders. I found the decals that were on the real truck.  They were from the Revell 1950 Ford pickup custom version.... some folks already have cringed!  Yes, I put them on the model and hit them with decal fixative.  They shrivelled into useless little messes!   That's when I remembered... some RM kits of that era had decals that weren't compatible with fixatives! It wasn't on the decal sheet itself, it was mentioned in very small print on the instruction sheet.  As my decal sheet was in my decal file,  I had no warning but I should've remembered!  I had the same issue with the Checkers decals from their '37 Ford pickup a few years ago!   Doh!

The decals made such a mess that they wouldn't just float off with water.  I wound up sanding the body and prepping for paint again.  

Then I decided to mock up the body on the fender unit / chassis that already has the engine mounted. The engine goes in one way, as there are not only mounts, but the rear suspension snaps into the transmission.  I taped the firewall to the body and... tight fit!  I remember having this issue before with this kit series and I attributed it to the firewall hitting the wired distributor I had added.  Should I just force and wedge it in?  No, I decided to make the body fit better.  I figured if I took 2 scale inches out of the panel right behind the door, it would fit like a glove.  So I start cutting my body... a bit of man handling and I break the friggin body in half!  Grab second body... I managed to do the modification. Body now fits like I wanted it to, just a lot of putty and clean up on the new seams...   then...

I realize that I have taped the firewall to the outside of the body like on a lot of kits.. guess what?  It goes INSIDE the body!  Argh!  Now I've ruined two bodies.  Never giving up, enter in body number three (isn't it grand having a bunch of the same kit?!) which has now  been prepped and primed and ready for a color coat.  Back to square one, but recovered!

Remember, it's not how you screw up, it's how you recover!