Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT/Italeri reefer trailer

I have seen a lot of complaints about the new AMT release of the Italeri reefer trailer. It is out of scale for 1/24 scale, but I see a ton of potential for it in 1/25 scale. The rib spacing works perfectly for a 70's-80's Brown or Timpte reefer. You can even backdate it further to be an early 60's trailer, as I am currently doing. I bought this kit for the Thermo King reefer unit, which will be used on a different build. Since I had the rest of the kit, I figured I might as well build it. I am going for a well used early 60's reefer trailer.

I started by shortening the trailer to 36 feet in 1/25 scale. I added a side door, which helped to hide the panel seam in the 2-piece side. I also scribed panel lines every 4 feet to help conceal the panel seam on the opposite side of the trailer. I made a new front bulkhead using PVC pipe for the corners and a section of the kit roof that had been cut off when I shortened the trailer. The kit wheels will be replaced with resin 5-hole wheels. I also scratch built some old style landing gear.

On the front corner I added a patch with some rivets to simulate a repair job on some previous damage.

2v2Ez8cn8xAC2cR.jpg

2v2Ez8cqMxAC2cR.jpg

17 minutes ago, Jim B said:

Nice looking trailer so far.  What about the height?  I've always heard that this kit was too short.

The kit is too short for a modern reefer in 1/24 scale. It measures out to 12' tall in 1/24 scale, which most modern reefers are 13'6" these days. In 1/25 scale it measures 12'6", which was a popular height in the 60's-70's and is similar to the AMT Fruehauf and Ertl Great Dane kits.

Thanks guys! I have been busy with this one the last 2 days. I scratch built a reefer unit, and I wanted it to be missing a side panel, so I had to scratch build and engine and compressor for inside the unit as well. I have been playing with some weathering, I am hoping that it will look good out in some natural light.

2v2Hof4roxAC2cR.jpg

2v2Hof4GyxAC2cR.jpg

2v2Hof45MxAC2cR.jpg