Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1976 GMC General Tractor -- Coca-Cola

Casey

Actually the general and bison didn't come out till 1977 and AMT's kits were released in 1978. Outside of the original release they tend to have warpage issues. Round 2 most likely addressed this. The kit is nice overall and has a nice non turbo early 8v92 (365 hp). Now if we can just get the Coke edition of the starship Enterprise.

2 hours ago, lapazleo said:

Actually the general and bison didn't come out till 1977 and AMT's kits were released in 1978. Outside of the original release they tend to have warpage issues. Round 2 most likely addressed this. The kit is nice overall and has a nice non turbo early 8v92 (365 hp). Now if we can just get the Coke edition of the starship Enterprise.

I think the release date is Mar/Apr. kit would make a great fleet unit. I’m sure there are numerous examples online.

2 hours ago, lapazleo said:

Or even a nice Coke IH 4070B Transtar II.

15 hours ago, JerseeJerry55 said:

Or even a nice Coke IH 4070B Transtar II.

???

I'll buy a frame for the Coke Decals and hang em on the wall if they will come out with the Transtar!!!!    ??    Joking aside,  if what it takes for us to get a bunch of these kits re-popped is some decals from Coke, then,  BRING THEM ON!!!

DJ

21 hours ago, lapazleo said:

Actually the general and bison didn't come out till 1977 and AMT's kits were released in 1978.

There it is in the 1978 AMT catalog:

AMT1978Catalog7.jpg.030ef127698ddc6892606a5c2c63ffa9.jpg

21 hours ago, lapazleo said:

Outside of the original release they tend to have warpage issues.

Were there specific parts which were warped? I want to say I recall the hood being mentioned by some forum members?

while the rather long frame of mine (built in 1983/84) was not at all warped - indeed, very straight - the hood did not close and fit well - I was not able to fix it properly. Also, the handles on the mufflers were flat instead of round which looked awful. I was rather disappointed with this kit back then, maybe I will rework it some day.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 3:33 PM, 1959scudetto said:

while the rather long frame of mine (built in 1983/84) was not at all warped - indeed, very straight - the hood did not close and fit well - I was not able to fix it properly. Also, the handles on the mufflers were flat instead of round which looked awful. I was rather disappointed with this kit back then, maybe I will rework it some day.

Actually those handles on the real truck are square as all GMC's of that time. Warping was mostly the hood on reissues from the Ertl/AMT years not the original AMT releases.

1 hour ago, Mr mopar said:

The art work on the new box is not that good look at the top of the grill it's rounded and the bumper looks out of wack !

The chrome strips on the top edges of the hood are missing too. And where's that right horn going?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 3:54 PM, lapazleo said:

Actually those handles on the real truck are square as all GMC's of that time. Warping was mostly the hood on reissues from the Ertl/AMT years not the original AMT releases.

I got an AMT/Ertl GMC General and it is straight as an arrow no warping at all !

On 12/31/2019 at 9:38 PM, lapazleo said:

The chrome strips on the top edges of the hood are missing too. And where's that right horn going?

Likely drawn as an art project by some fifth graders. Hopefully the kit is better detailed than the artwork.

Might have to grab one and build it as a wrecker.

18 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Likely drawn as an art project by some fifth graders. Hopefully the kit is better detailed than the artwork.

Certainly not the original AMT artist LOL. I built the original issue of that kit and many since it's a pretty well done kit. It has an unusual early (alpine green not silver) non turbo 8v92 and the rare Astro air suspension.

On 1/11/2020 at 6:09 PM, mikemodeler said:

I've already had that idea also to build one similar to this one. 

jamie-davis-wrecker-randy-harris.jpg.99c91ba018ea8e8378acade9b485f1ea.jpg

Also, on a separate note, after seeing this one in the latest video, this is one I do have to complain about the overused Coke licensing decals for this reissue. While I do get the whole "they got it, they might as well use it" deal, this kit we haven't seen a reissue of since 1999, so a set of regular decals other than just for a Coca Cola rig would be nice to have offered with this reissue. All the other Coke reissue trucks and cars for that matter have had a normal version first, so why did this not? Also, before everyone starts jumping on my case either saying the worn out "It also appeals to Coke collectors" or "You just don't understand how licensing works" or anything else wanting to call me an idiot, I'm smarter than the average bear and do understand all that and have one of those 1999 issues on the shelf if I want to build a version that is a non Coke rig, but an average builder that may want to build a nice General but not as a Coke truck might be turned off not having any alternative markings for it. I think that since this has been the first this kit has seen the light of day this century without a normal version being reissued first, it might have been nice if in addition to the Coke decals Round2 would have added some other company markings and factory available stripes as some of the earlier issues had in them on either a separate decal sheet or an expanded sheet.   

Matt, that's a nice looking wrecker.  Should be an interesting build when you get to it.

As for the General in Coke livery, I'm not sure if Coca-Cola would have sprung for the 116" BBC hood with the 8V92N & a sleeper.  My personal opinion is that they probably would have gone "fleet cheap" and gone with the standard 108" BBC hood (available from Gary Wallace) and the standard 6V92T engine; but that's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.