Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1976 GMC General Tractor -- Coca-Cola

Casey

I like that JD wrecker Matt, but  it sure would be nice if somehow we could have that wrecker bed! I am struggling with which bed to use- a scratchbuilt one or the one from the recent Peterbilt issue?

I agree on the decals, but there are some sheets out there if you want to go another direction, I know mine won't be a Coca Cola rig!

1 hour ago, Jim B said:

Matt, that's a nice looking wrecker.  Should be an interesting build when you get to it.

As for the General in Coke livery, I'm not sure if Coca-Cola would have sprung for the 116" BBC hood with the 8V92N & a sleeper.  My personal opinion is that they probably would have gone "fleet cheap" and gone with the standard 108" BBC hood (available from Gary Wallace) and the standard 6V92T engine; but that's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

Thanks Jim, at least I'm glad I share Jamie Davis's taste in vintage iron, though for my wrecker fleet I have floating in my head it will be an active wrecker but not front line iron like that truck is for Jamie! ? It will be in the yard for backup for when my rotators are busy cleaning up a big wreck! 

I also agree on the Coke and everything in your statement because I know exactly what they say about opinions! 

48 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

I like that JD wrecker Matt, but  it sure would be nice if somehow we could have that wrecker bed! I am struggling with which bed to use- a scratchbuilt one or the one from the recent Peterbilt issue?

I agree on the decals, but there are some sheets out there if you want to go another direction, I know mine won't be a Coca Cola rig!

I agree Mike, and also a kit version of the Holmes 750 that is in the AMT 1/43rd scale Peterbilt but has never been made in kit form in 1/25th scale except for in resin. As for the one in the recent Pete wrecker reissue, even though it is modeled after a real bed, that is one wrecker that has never and will never see my collection because just as a matter of personal taste, I don't care for the look of that unit. I ran heavy wrecker 20 years ago and ran trucks equipped with Century units, NRC units, and even an old school Holmes 750 so that is why my taste just doesn't appeal to that one in that AMT Pete. It must be also where I like the older iron because the NRC 40 ton was mounted on a 74 White Western Star and the Holmes 750 was on a 73 Mack R model. 

On the decals Mike, I wasn't talking about myself specifically because I have enough truck kits in my collection I could not only build a truck stop diorama and not have one rig look alike or have the same company markings, I was speaking more of an average builder who might more of just a hobbyist type seeing it at Hobby Lobby and not big into forum or Facebook groups and not also big in the aftermarket things available. Sure, these days you've more or less have to be living under a rock to not no about those things compared to the pre-internet days when I started building when I didn't know there was much else to building a model than paint and glue until I joined a local club and learned about all the goodies like photoetch and aftermarket decals, but there are still some that may just build a model here and there and not into it like those of us here and could be turned off by just having a Coke truck as a building option. 

I built this last century, when it was new!  It's the only big truck I've built, modified a Chevy van for the cab.  I painted the suspension different colors, like illustrations showing the different components.  For some reason the cab got wasted, I have most of the chassis parts in the junkyard.  I recall that it was a fun build.

IMG_8677_Fotor.jpg

4 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

... the only big truck I've built, modified a Chevy van for the cab. ... cab got wasted, I have most of the chassis parts in the junkyard. ...

Snag this and another van body and rebuild!  (save the Coke decals for one of your future politically correct Senna McLaren Honda F1s, I guess)

• 2 months later...
On 4/7/2020 at 8:28 AM, mikemodeler said:

Has anyone got this kit yet? What does it look like ? I know there were some warping issues with the last release, are they still there?

I want to order one but not if it is plagued with major issues.

Not yet.   I checked with my local hobby shop on Monday -- they don't have it yet.  But I picked up the AMT Freightliner FLC and the Revell KW W-900  ?

• 2 months later...

I got the Coke GMC the other day togerther with a Cke trailer, the Hideout Truck and Kenworth Custom Drag Truck "Bandag Bandit".
I also got a Kenworth W900 at the same time but that was a Revell Germany kit.

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Goodwrench3 said:

Oh Thank god..    we're finally getting off the "Coke" thing   🙂

Not officially until December 31, 2021, and then there's a time period in which Round2 is allowed to distribute remaining inventory...unless the agreement is renewed. 😄

You can, with care, narrow the General cab to very closely duplicate a Mack Superliner. The main visual difference is that a Mack cab is no wider than the hood, where the General is significantly wider that it's hood. I took out about 3/4" inch to narrow my cab, and added some MACK labels etc from the MACK mixer kit. Some mirrors from the R685 kit, along with some other partsbox bits and pieces. It can be seen at the very top of the attached photo.

Img_0322.jpg

• 4 months later...

At 12.75 inches long, the GMC General emphasizes size with authentic features, including: 60+ chrome parts, 34 inch sleeper, Detroit Diesel 8V92T engine, tilting hood, dual chrome exhaust stacks, super-detailed interior with high back seats, 10 black vinyl tires and more! Fully paintable, with authentic water-slide decals and vintage-style packaging.

QUICK SPECS: 1/25 Scale, 300+ Parts, 12.75 Inches long once assembled.

AMT1272_GMCGeneral_PKG_back_720x.jpg.dae55694606e989db0820b8c60a29052.jpg