Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1977 Ford Pinto Popper

Casey

Just now, Dave Darby said:

How are they going to accommodate the custom nose piece? 

Don't know!  The '77 body is pretty much the '76 with the headlamp recesses eliminated.  The '77 grille and slanted headlamp rings are molded as a separate piece, to be added to the body.

Those wanting to use the custom front end parts will likely have to drill holes for the headlamps.  The custom front pan probably will take some fitting.  But seriously, those parts didn't fit the '76 body very well, so building the '77 with those parts really won't be a big deal compared to the '76.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2019 at 3:44 PM, '70 Grande said:

I'm curious if the Turbo 4-cylinder is made-up of the same engine parts found inside this 1/25 AMT Ford Courier Pickup kit issued a year or so after the Pintera kit.

CourierBoxPic (500x342).jpg

Did the Courier pickup have a Ford engine?  The truck itself was built by Mazda, I always thought the Ford version was the same except for trim and badging.

53 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

image.png.57e6968c4283424adbcc9ee1a5d73953.png

Yes, I know this is a 1979 or 1980.  While everyone else is thinking how big an engine they can stuff into it, I'm thinking more like light commercial.  My local post office used these through the 1980s.

I am really diggin this version! 

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

image.png.57e6968c4283424adbcc9ee1a5d73953.png

Yes, I know this is a 1979 or 1980.  While everyone else is thinking how big an engine they can stuff into it, I'm thinking more like light commercial.  My local post office used these through the 1980s.

Judging by the rust, it didn't make it to 1990. 

I owned one of those Pinto "Ponys" as they were called. They were a truly stripped down car. Mine had 13" wheels from the factory. Auto Trans but a dinky engine. I got it from a mailman who had gotten it at a Govt surplus auction. It was a worn out Tub O'Junk, by the time I got it. I drove it until the tags expired, as it failed the Cali Smog test repeatedly.

If you had one now, it might be worth a little bit, as they were sold only to the USPS, and were driven to destruction. But, they were as bare bones as it was possible to be when built, and probably the most miserable car I've ever driven.

13 hours ago, alexis said:

I owned one of those Pinto "Ponys" as they were called. They were a truly stripped down car. Mine had 13" wheels from the factory. Auto Trans but a dinky engine. I got it from a mailman who had gotten it at a Govt surplus auction. It was a worn out Tub O'Junk, by the time I got it. I drove it until the tags expired, as it failed the Cali Smog test repeatedly.

If you had one now, it might be worth a little bit, as they were sold only to the USPS, and were driven to destruction. But, they were as bare bones as it was possible to be when built, and probably the most miserable car I've ever driven.

I had a 76 and was a good driving car 4 speed no air and no radio. I drove it to death but wish I hadn’t...

• 1 month later...

I am comparing the pics of the parts from the original kit as seen earlier in this thread with the pic of the back of the box as seen on the youtube Round2 Jan-2020, and seems we "lost" the roll-cage from the original kit

to a new headlights-grill part? The Pintera-esque front-end and hood is gonna be inclulded.  This is gonna be a must-buy for me!

On 11/27/2019 at 7:43 AM, Mark said:

Did the Courier pickup have a Ford engine?  The truck itself was built by Mazda, I always thought the Ford version was the same except for trim and badging.

The second generation Courier was still Mazda based, but the 2.3 liter Ford engine was an available option.

On 12/2/2019 at 10:08 AM, alexis said:

Did the USPS ever use the wagon or panel delivery Pintos?

13 hours ago, fomocomav said:

Did the USPS ever use the wagon or panel delivery Pintos?

The U.S. Army bought a fleet of Pintos and even used some as police cars.  No Cruising Wagons or wagons, though. Here's the write-up and photo from Fred W. Crismon's book "U.S. Military Wheeled Vehicles:"

"The fuel crunch which began to effect the civilian consumer in the mid-1970's soon found its way into the military ranks. Progressively smaller allocations of fuel to units became the order of the day, and smaller cars followed not far behind. In 1975 the US Army bought a fleet of Ford Pintos, and used them as both fuel and manpower savers: they generally were classified as drive-yourself vehicles. Many military drivers who had chauffeured officers were released for other military duties, while the officers (mostly junior ones) drove themselves. This particular Pinto two-door sedan inherited "slop jar" warning lights, loudspeaker, a two-way radio and Military Police markings. Propelled by a 2.3 liter four-cylinder in-line engine, the little Pinto provided nimble transporatation for routine police work in the Heidelberg, Germany area. Full-sized Fords were also purchased in 1975."

pinto_Army.jpg

Edited by Mike999
goof