Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1977 Ford Pinto Popper

Casey

On 1/15/2020 at 10:52 AM, Mike999 said:

The U.S. Army bought a fleet of Pintos and even used some as police cars.  No Cruising Wagons or wagons, though. Here's the write-up and photo from Fred W. Crismon's book "U.S. Military Wheeled Vehicles:"

"The fuel crunch which began to effect the civilian consumer in the mid-1970's soon found its way into the military ranks. Progressively smaller allocations of fuel to units became the order of the day, and smaller cars followed not far behind. In 1975 the US Army bought a fleet of Ford Pintos, and used them as both fuel and manpower savers: they generally were classified as drive-yourself vehicles. Many military drivers who had chauffeured officers were released for other military duties, while the officers (mostly junior ones) drove themselves. This particular Pinto two-door sedan inherited "slop jar" warning lights, loudspeaker, a two-way radio and Military Police markings. Propelled by a 2.3 liter four-cylinder in-line engine, the little Pinto provided nimble transporatation for routine police work in the Heidelberg, Germany area. Full-sized Fords were also purchased in 1975."

pinto_Army.jpg

Thanks for the info on the Army Pintos!  I thought they just bought a few Mavericks.  Didn't know about the Pintos.

The US government put contracts for vehicles out to bid, but in reality they spread the orders around US auto makers. My father was an army officer and when we got to Germany his staff car was a 1968 AMC Ambassador.  In either 1970 or 1971 it was changed out for a Torino style Falcon sedan.  

• 4 weeks later...

Shame it seems to need so much work to get the front and rear body pieces to look good. Was thinking about using this kit to make a pseudo “Poison Pinto” with some candy lime paint, side pipes and a V8. Prices for the old Monogram kit are in the stratosphere. Still might give it a go..

• 6 months later...

The turbo IS in this issue (but not the one in the 1977 annual kit box).  I bought two of the turbo engines from one of those eBay "break up a kit and sell the parts" guys.  LHS has the kit, but at above retail price.  I didn't feel like paying $35 or so, with sales tax, to get an engine.

• 1 year later...

So, I now have 2 of the new Pinto Poppers kits. Does anyone have a 72-76 kit that they can post a picture of the front end to compare with the 77? I would like to try to back date one, but need to know what I am in for. 
Anyone have a 76 bumper they want to cast, or send me to cast?