Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '69 Plymouth GTX Pro Street

Casey

9 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

IMG-3076.jpg

Something that always bugged me about the Road Runner box art is that it has the old wide dirt track tires on the rear. Thankfully, it has the best sized pro street tires there is inside the box. But, they had no name sidewalls. They're not as tall or wide as the M/T Sportsmans in the '70 Super Bee. I never bought the GTX because the box art turned me away from it. Especially with the carburetors, velocity stacks and breathers it has. I'm interested in seeing which tires comes with it in this new issue.

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

Something that always bugged me about the Road Runner box art is that it has the old wide dirt track tires on the rear. Thankfully, it has the best sized pro street tires there is inside the box. But, they had no name sidewalls. They're not as tall or wide as the M/T Sportsmans in the '70 Super Bee. I never bought the GTX because the box art turned me away from it. Especially with the carburetors, velocity stacks and breathers it has. I'm interested in seeing which tires comes with it in this new issue.

My guess would be pad printed tires, a new expanded decal sheet and possibly tinted glass. Maybr we'll get lucky and they'll throw in the DOHC from the Super Bee it.

On 11/15/2019 at 8:07 PM, Plowboy said:

I bought a couple of those Road Runner kits when they were new, they did have the dirt track tires and not the Batmobile tires.  It was the '67 Chevelle that had the Batmobile tires.

3 hours ago, Mark said:

I bought a couple of those Road Runner kits when they were new, they did have the dirt track tires and not the Batmobile tires.  It was the '67 Chevelle that had the Batmobile tires.

I have two pro street Road Runners. Both have blank sidewall pro street tires. Not the Good Year dirt track tires like on the box. The '67 Chevelle has Good Year slicks like the '66 Nova. I've never heard them called Batmobile tires.

17 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

I have two pro street Road Runners. Both have blank sidewall pro street tires. Not the Good Year dirt track tires like on the box. The '67 Chevelle has Good Year slicks like the '66 Nova. I've never heard them called Batmobile tires.

The (Keaton era) Batmobile kit had the blank sidewall tires initially.  I remember reading a tip in the old AMT Blueprinter, that the tires from the Batmobile kit were the same size as the slicks that came in the Pro Street '66 Nova kit, if you wanted to build a road-legal Nova.  I assume the treaded tires then made their way into the other pro-street kits that came later.

Edited by JJ Deuce

• 1 year later...

I HAVE THE NEW ISSUE GTX PRO STREET, AND THE FIRST ISSUE FROM 1991 AS WELL......THE ORIGINAL IS MOLDED IN A NICER PLASTIC, AS IT WAS U.S. MADE BACK THEN, AND NO LETTERING ON THE BIG REAR BUNS....THE NEW KIT IS EXACTLY THE SAME, BUT NOT AS CRISP AS THE FIRST ONE, PLASTIC DECENT BUT NOT AS RICH IN COLOR, BUT IT HAS GREAT M/T LETTERED MEATS FOR THE REAR, LIGHTLY TREADED BUT THAT CAN EASILY BE SANDED DOWN FOR A SLICK APPEARANCE...THE DECAL SHEET IS TERRIFIC WITH LOTS OF OPTIONS AND EXTRAS THAT WILL BE GREAT FOR A PRO STREET CAR, HOT STREET CRUISER, AND CERTAINLY AN ALL-OUT DRAG SETUP .... PROVIDED ARE SOME NICE LICENCE PLATES AND 'GTX' SIDE EMBLEMS FOR THE LOWER BODY, MARKER AND TURN SIGNAL LAMP DECALS FOR THOSE WOULD WHO RATHER NOT PAINT THEM IN....A NICE KIT, IMO......the ACE....😅