Model Cars Magazine Forum

Two of the best drag cars I’ve ever seen

NYLIBUD

This past weekend I attended an annual model show/contest.This year I saw two cars that blew me away.Two Mustang drag cars.The orange car won people’s choice.I think it should've won best in show.This is pure talent.GOD I wish I could build half as good as this guy.Yes they were built buy the same guy.

DCCFFC6C-1661-4123-9D2D-87370AA31C1C.jpeg

0EB1CA85-8327-4717-922C-C3CB67828AFD.jpeg

AB539DBA-0DC1-47BE-BAA5-3FC9C3B23248.jpeg

9B8793F9-3680-429B-8B2C-2BB944459C3B.jpeg

7A20E4F4-69D3-4DDC-A2EE-FB8226A41DCD.jpeg

E834B533-C66F-4DC0-96C4-A28FB0999D8B.jpeg

13B2B605-22FC-4C0C-AEF7-B7AB70E3CD14.jpeg

1BA16FF2-D91F-400A-8D1C-4435099EB422.jpeg

C8F73FE1-656B-4E9D-8B46-F6A6C9A36D8C.jpeg

3493D36D-72E2-42B3-A240-77F13A3EDD2B.jpeg

7DD9B8D6-A76E-45C0-842B-E8C576C4741B.jpeg

295FC3DA-0295-4CB4-BF8E-C64C3EE4B417.jpeg

83386763-07F4-4DB2-8489-8CB9D0BE2FE4.jpeg

E2322552-E8E5-48FA-848E-2E693EA88C35.jpeg

F3F01A59-4A85-486E-B241-5CE366762CB3.jpeg

6A23C2A7-DF06-4BF2-A768-E18DFCC8A91A.jpeg

Well I'll have to say, with this guys' modeling talents, I would expect a better paint job.

Look especially at the orange car. This is big time orange peel paint on there. A beginner, after the first model car, looks toward getting a better paintjob.

I really think, a lot of beginners can do better paint than this dude.

OK, so I'm knocking a guys talent, or lack thereof, just his painting sucks. 

My opinion though.

1 hour ago, Mike Williams said:

Well I'll have to say, with this guys' modeling talents, I would expect a better paint job.

Look especially at the orange car. This is big time orange peel paint on there. A beginner, after the first model car, looks toward getting a better paintjob.

My opinion though.

Not in person under the lights.Theres nothing wrong with either car.Except that the notchbacks ugly camo tan color.It would look better on a tank.?

..."ugly camo tan color...better on a tank."

LOL, that makes me laugh, I'll easily agree too!

Still, look at all of the cars posted on this forum.  Lots of closeups in all kinds of light.  Orange peel is orange peel. It always comes out. Most of us here work on it, and try to get it out and have gone through the painstaking route of sanding out a bumpy paintjob.

The two models shown here, with these obvious shown building skills, showing a crummy paintjob is just weak, my opinion.

Do you not agree?

Sorry, it's not a car model from a member here, at least I suppose this to be the case, still,  the paint job sucks.

Amazing details though.

2 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

..."ugly camo tan color...better on a tank."

LOL, that makes me laugh, I'll easily agree too!

Still, look at all of the cars posted on this forum.  Lots of closeups in all kinds of light.  Orange peel is orange peel. It always comes out. Most of us here work on it, and try to get it out and have gone through the painstaking route of sanding out a bumpy paintjob.

The two models shown here, with these obvious shown building skills, showing a crummy paintjob is just weak, my opinion.

Do you not agree?

Sorry, it's not a car model from a member here, at least I suppose this to be the case, still,  the paint job sucks.

Amazing details though.

Well that’s funny cause in my club,it won people’s choice,so I’m not really sure where ur coming from.Both cars are amazing,IMO 

5 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

My opinion though.

I went back and looked. Those aren't the very best paint jobs I've ever seen, but nothing about them caught my eye as "bad" the first time through. And the second time, I kinda had to look for the orange peel to see it. 

On the other hand, I DID spot decal film on the orange one the first time around. That stood out to me way more than the paint. 

Wow.

Sure, as I stated the builds are fantastic, just the paint quality sucks.

That these cars won in your club, I'm happy about it. Truly excellent detailing and modeling. The paintjob is, relating to the rest of the model, insufficient.

So, where I'm coming from is, my thoughts are in my opinion, a modeler of this caliber should produce a better paintjob. Nothing more, nothing less.

Look around here on our forum,  guys are producing paintjobs that are just fantastic. What is shown here is 2nd rate.  For sure not on the same level as the rest of the model shows.

So, think about it.  Sure the cars are wonderfully built.  Just, the paint still sucks.

It could be that there was a rush to finish the orange car before the show.  In that case, it’s too bad there wasn’t a bit more time to finish it properly after putting so much work in.  If it wasn’t a rush job, I don’t know why people put so much time into the build and then don’t bother with getting the paint right. Also, you can see the decals on the front tire on the orange car were not applied properly. . 

Yep, that's it.  Why didn't I see that.  And Snake.  And Chris.  It's the camera, silly guys. ?

This is really kind of unbelievable.  Amazing actually.  If I wouldn't have seen this, I would've thought someone is pulling my leg.

Yeah, two of the best drag cars I've ever seen alright.

Just, where I'm from, we don't have no stinkin' drag cars....just kidding.

You are fully and totally correct.

Message to all of you guys who have made paintjobs to drool over, so smooth and realistic it makes you wonder how it's done....forget it.  Especially when the work is so smooth, but the paint is hand polished, no clear coat.....Go back to the bench and get a life.  Learn how to do it right.

These two here....for sure the best ever.

?

2 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Yep, that's it.  Why didn't I see that.  And Snake.  And Chris.  It's the camera, silly guys. ?

This is really kind of unbelievable.  Amazing actually.  If I wouldn't have seen this, I would've thought someone is pulling my leg.

Yeah, two of the best drag cars I've ever seen alright.

Just, where I'm from, we don't have no stinkin' drag cars....just kidding.

You are fully and totally correct.

Message to all of you guys who have made paintjobs to drool over, so smooth and realistic it makes you wonder how it's done....forget it.  Especially when the work is so smooth, but the paint is hand polished, no clear coat.....Go back to the bench and get a life.  Learn how to do it right.

These two here....for sure the best ever.

?

Huh?What?Ok you don’t like the paint job.The car looked great under the bright lights in the gym.Its definitely my camera.Ok?,yea great,that’s all.

The only thing I can see that distracts from the excellent builds is the computer hookup on the orange car.....its WAY too thick!  Working in the IT world, that cable would be about 3 to 4 inches thick in 1:1 scale.  Personally, and this is just my opinion, I would have used black spark plug wire to replicate the line....other than that one item, the cars are both awesome to see!

Funny. I've seen this type of thing with models before. A guy has talent beyond anything I have had yet lacks in things such as paint, little things like the thick wire or they didn't sand the tread area on the tire. I still enjoy the whole project that the builder came up with and managed to complete it.

I guess you had to see these cars live in person to really appreciate it, and like I said ,it won the People’s choice award.And there were a lot of amazing builds at the show.Again,the only thing I don’t understand or I should say don’t like, is the tan color of the Notch.?‍♂️Why camo tan?

1 hour ago, Johnt671 said:

Not a Mustang fan, but I am a fan of works of art like these.

I’m telling u, the pics don’t do the cars justice.Ive never seen such detail and well built models.And I’ve seen and built about a million models over the years.They just blew me away.I still think the Orange car or even the tan notch should of got best of show,.But people’s choice for the orange car was definitely on the money.

Both of those are very nicely done. Especially the Fox Mustang. Great detailing on both and overall look is exactly something I could imagine seeing at the Drag Strip nowadays. I can see a lot of work went into both of the Mustangs so I have to appreciate the hard work.

However, I have to agree with a couple of members. The paint job and decals on the orange Mustang are definitely not on the same level as the rest of the model. Pretty significant orange peel on the paint and some of the decals are 'silvering'. The Hoosier decals on tires are even more rough.

Overall, very nice models (Fox Mustang is definitely better one), and I think everyone here appreciates the hard work the builder has done on both. But with a bit more effort on the orange Mustang, it would have been even better.;)

Two very, very nice builds, with exceptional detail !

The brown one is better, both must have taken a long time, with a lot of patience.

I don't like to criticise builds myself , so I wont... I couldn't build this well , wish I could !

But I will say this, as good as these 2 are, take racecars by Rickart, or Codi on this forum,  to me they are perfect, and would leave these two standing !