Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Dodge Challenger Build Question

Gidday, I was wondering if you had to attach the body to the chassis per the instructions without the front and rear light/grill/bumper assemblies, or whether you could attach them first so the seams could be smoothed and painted as one before assembly onto the chassis. See attached photos

thanks very much

Mike

IMG_20191114_172358.jpg

IMG_20191114_172424.jpg

IMG_20191114_172434.jpg

Edited by Michael jones

I'am doing one now..I had a rebuilder that had the pans installed..the chassis came out without breaking the pans and will go back in if you are careful..I've filed a bit away from the inner fenders on the chassis on the sides to make it easier..test fit as you are going..Tape the pans in while test fitting..The front pan on mine almost just snapped in..Used Tamiya super thin(dark green top) to weld it in place then Testors orange tube glue on the small crack on the sides..Let dry for days and sanded smooth..Used razor saw(very fine teeth, hobby saw) to groove the front where the factory lines would be..rear will work same but don't mold in..Factory lines are where it will install..Weld glue the entire seams on both front and rear pans for stability..I should have removed grill piece from front before molding in but too late now..Just hope I can paint the proper colors when time comes..

Gidday, just looking at David Thibodeau's Sam Posey Trans Am Challenger, it seems like he attached the front and blended the guard before painting, but possibly attached the rear after chassis fitment. On my build I have actually cut the lights and grill from the front bodywork, because that area would be fairly hard to mask if glued in place. I can paint it black, add details and then glue it in place after. I think your idea is good to cut away some of the fenders on the chassis to make fitment easier. Thanks for the idea.

Mike