Model Cars Magazine Forum

Issue #206, Contest Issue, MAILED!!!

Finally, after what seems like a million years, or at least days, the latest issue of Model Cars Magazine was printed and mailed from Denver on or about November 7, 2019. 

If you guys can let me know when (and only when, not that you don't have it yet) you get your copy, I would appreciate it. 

I'm trying to see how long it takes to get delivered across the country. 

Remember, just because someone farther away from Denver got their magazine sooner than you, there's a reason for this, and I've explained this many times before. It's the Power Of Six (Kelly and mine scientific experiment and analysis of the periodical mailing with USPS) that magazines/periodicals have to deal with. When a magazine gets shipped to six or more readers in a specific postal zip/drop zone, they get those mags bundled up in one bag, and sent directly to that local post office. For those magazines where there are not six or more readers, those mags get bagged together and sent to a bigger post office/drop zone. And this goes on and on with the fewer mags in other zip code zones. Hopefully this makes sense, Kelly and I did a lot of head scratching on this back in 1997-98 when we were shipping and mailing the mags from here in our little one-bedroom rental, taking over the bed as a work table, pissing our cat Indy off to no end.

This issue is the Contest Issue, and it was supposed to be a stand alone issue, but since it was so late, we've included it in the regular subs.

I will be trying to put together another contest issue for the regular spot, Feb/March, of 2020. I'll try and make that one bigger, more current, and a stand alone copy. That's another ball game, need new UPC/Bar Codes, filing numbers, permit, etc. But I'll do what I can in the next month or so and see if I can do this.

A lot of people may get p'd off about the lateness of the shows covered. We could have not run them, some from a couple years ago, but it wouldn't be fair to not only the guys who had their models photographed, but all the work our photographers did would be lost, and that's something we didn't want to do.

So, hopefully these are modelers/builders you haven't seen before, and will get some good ideas from this issue.

It was a trip through memory lane doing this, 100% without Harry, and it was hard to do, having to stop and think about him so many times while I faked my way through doing layouts like he did. 

I have a hidden weapon now, helping me with the layouts (I stole him late in the process, hopefully he'll stick around with me :-))), and he really helped with some of the stuff I wasn't able to do. Thanks, bud!

So, yes, it's late.

Yes, shows are late.

But I'm still here, sorry to disappoint the nay-sayer/sayers, and that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Gregg

P.S.: I'm still trying to get some help with the digital side of the mag, ads, and other things, so you may see some changes over the next weeks. Hopefully it won't be too disruptive. 

Cover 206.jpg

Editor 206.jpg

Contents 206.jpg

• Gregg pinned this topic
8 hours ago, jhuntsman80 said:

Greg, will this contest cars issue be on newsstands? That is my red camaro on the in this issue page of the mag and id would like to get it. thanks

Ingram, my last newsstand distributor, closed when I went down for a while. I have to apply to a brand new company, and start the process all over again.

Right now, just the 194 hobby shops.

13 hours ago, Gregg said:

If you guys can let me know when (and only when, not that you don't have it yet) you get your copy, I would appreciate it. 

Please let me know when it DOES show up, not that it hasn't.

I set the notifications to ON for this, and I'm getting a lot of emails/notifications.

I usually don't have notifications on, since the email quota for my last brain cell is so small, I need to keep the inbox at a manageable level.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

Ingram, my last newsstand distributor, closed when I went down for a while. I have to apply to a brand new company, and start the process all over again.

Right now, just the 194 hobby shops.

Gregg, any chance they can be ordered online? No hobby shops in my area for at least 100 miles, unless you know of one in the Charlotte NC area.

I should have my office copies in about a week. Still doing the after mailing paperwork, and things are not too good here right now, so maybe a bit longer.

You bring up a good point, find someone to do wholesale/online sales of the printed mags, freeing up some time and physical work.

Thanks!

This is what I like. 

Constructive ideas that brings out really good questions.

I had a dealer list on the site a while ago.

I'll try an update that also.

With the change in my app/program I use now, it should be easier to do, once I learn how to do it....

On 11/14/2019 at 8:46 PM, mikemodeler said:

Gregg, any chance they can be ordered online? No hobby shops in my area for at least 100 miles, unless you know of one in the Charlotte NC area.

Mike there's a Hobby Town in Mooresville right off of 77. I'm not sure if they carry the magazine or not, but it may be worth a call. Probably not too far from you.