Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sir Rod Stewart's Little Rail Layout!

Tom Geiger

14 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

But if u got the $$,anything is possible.

Sounds more like he's one of us, someone who hand built all the buildings and scenery with mad skills!   I'm sure we could talk hours on scratch building and weathering techniques.

It's smart to hire an electrician for safety's sake. A number of years ago there was a very nice diorama put out on it's own legs at NNL East.  It had tons of lights and was plugged into the wall.  I don't know why but I looked under it and was horrified.  All kinds of hanging wires, twisted together with no covering.  An accident waiting to happen.  I had the guy unplug it. And that (and one more incident)  are the reason the rules state "no electrical power" to dioramas today.

Edited by Tom Geiger

On 11/15/2019 at 1:06 PM, NYLIBUD said:

I can’t even imagine the wiring it must take to run that layout.Personally I think he’s got a couple of staff that run and maintain the layout.I wonder what the sq footage of that layout would be.Its just simply amazing.

I think I read that the layout is somewhere around 124 feet long! I'd like to see the room where it is displayed!

On 11/14/2019 at 6:39 PM, NYLIBUD said:

Oh his layout has to be one of the best I’ve ever seen.I saw it in Model Railroader a few years back.I couldn’t believe how amazing it is.But if u got the $$,anything is possible.Thanks for the pics.

Yes, I read that article too.  Yes, with enough money, anything is possible (and he also has few professionals helping him with layout construction).  But with the size of that layout, and amount of detail on it, it would be hard for a single person to accomplish all that.  However, Rod also happens to be a good modeler himself.

There are/were also other celebrity model railroaders.  Walt Disney for one, had his own garden railroad.

7 hours ago, peteski said:

Yes, I read that article too.  Yes, with enough money, anything is possible (and he also has few professionals helping him with layout construction).  But with the size of that layout, and amount of detail on it, it would be hard for a single person to accomplish all that.  However, Rod also happens to be a good modeler himself.

There are/were also other celebrity model railroaders.  Walt Disney for one, had his own garden railroad.

I think that was called Disneyland. Went there when I was a youngster. 

12 hours ago, espo said:

I think that was called Disneyland. Went there when I was a youngster. 

I wonder if what you describe is  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_World_Railroad  ?  That is a "real" narrow gauge railroad.

The one I'm talking about is a model railroad.  It was live steam, but the tracks are only less than a foot apart. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolwood_Pacific_Railroad  

Carolwood-Pacific.jpg

4562298-14064015-thumbnail.jpg

There is actually a model train layout depicting Walt's original backyard (model)  garden railroad.

Edited by peteski