Model Cars Magazine Forum

2010 Dodge Charger SRT8 Super Bee

mrmike

My new project and the return of McNally, Boston PI.  The story is titled Starting Over.  There is no one in this story related to any one living or deceased.

The Build

I am using Lindberg's Charger SRT8 Super Bee kit #73065 and will be painted with Model Master Hemi Orange Lacquer with a black/grey interior.

The Story

Walking out of Court with his attorney Charlotte Rothmann, McNally has paid a fine for refusing to answer the Judge's directive.  Charlie was able to get the jail sentence changed to a fine and McNally has plenty of money in his savings to cover the check.  But, Charlie didn't want to talk to the Boston PI for some reason and she got into her Caddy STS-V and drove away.  At home, McNally checks the mail and finds an envelope in the mail that contains a letter and a check for his services.  He'll insert the letter with the file and cash the check, but the file seems to be missing some details and he decides to follow up on the case.

The case involved a man checking to see if any other heirs to his family farm estate were still alive.  Whelton, Mass. is a small farming community with a town hall, a couple of stores and a diner that serves breakfast all day.  At the farm, he gets out of his Challenger SRT8 and walks towards the farm house and suddenly automatic gunfire erupts from somewhere and he takes cover a large boulder near the front porch.  Now the gunfire seems to be concentrating on his Challenger, shooting out the windows and the tires.  The car body is full of bullet holes and three of the tires are flat.

The automatic gunfire stops and McNally runs to the front door of the farm house and kicks the door open and he takes refuge inside to wait out the assassin. 

McNally will return...

SRT8SB01.JPG

SRT8SB02.JPG

SRT8SB03.JPG

Edited by mrmike

On the OEM's the bottom of the front struts don't allow the front tires or spindle to be raised. If you shorten the top of the strut this would allow the front tire and suspension to move up and lower the front and just shorter rear springs for the independent rear suspension. Maybe that could help on the 1/24th ? 

David, my plan is to bring the front and rear tires up to the edge of the fender lip.  I think I can accomplish this.

The Story

Night time has come and it has gotten dark out as McNally slips out the back door and he creeps along closely towards the ground.  As he ducks behind several massive trees, there is no return fire from the other side of the road.  Maybe the assassin has left the area to avoid capture, but McNally will never know.  As he walks up the road, a Whelton Police Cruiser comes along and McNally flags the driver down.  Officer Tim Reilly asks who he is and why he is out here.  McNally says he was attacked by automatic gunfire earlier in the afternoon at the Dundy Homestead and he escaped under the cover of darkness. 

Due to the late hour, McNally's Challenger will be picked up in the morning and Officer Reilly will give McNally a lift back into town.  There are no motels in this town so Tim offers the use of an empty cell at the Police Station for McNally to spend the night.  In the morning, he leaves the cell with a folded up blanket on the pillow and he heads over to the Diner across the street for breakfast.  The Police Chief walks over to get a cup of coffee and to talk to McNally.  The Chief squeezes into the booth with his large gut when McNally offered him a seat at his booth by the windows looking out on the street.

The Build

The basic engine and transmission were assembled and painted.  Mopar Street Hemi Orange for the engine block and Tamiya X-11 Chrome Silver for the transmission.  The body parts and chassis were assembled and awaiting Model Master White Primer.

McNally will return...

SRT8SB04.JPG

SRT8SB05.JPG

SRT8SB06.JPG

The Story

The Police Chief of Whelton was neither forthcoming or holding back on any information the McNally was looking for.  After finishing his breakfast and drinking the last of his coffee, the Chief offers to take McNally back out to the farmstead to look at his Challenger.  The Chief squeezes himself out of the booth and they walk out to his cruiser and drive out to the farmstead.  He goes across the street and up a small hill looking for the gunner's nest and he finds it.  He sifts through the leaves and pine needles and he finds a rifle shell.  Using a pen, he picks it up and sticks into his jacket pocket and then he walks down the hill back to the farmhouse.  The Chief asks if he found anything and McNally replies that he didn't since his gut tells him not to trust the Chief.  He will ask BPD Forensics to check the shell casing.

The Chief had called for a flatbed wrecker to pick up McNally's Challenger and take it back to town and to make arrangements to tow it back to Boston.  While the Chief was talking to the driver of the wrecker, McNally digs a bullet out of the door frame with his pocket knife and he places that into his pocket for Forensics to examine.  The Chief nor the wrecker driver saw him do this.  He goes into the farmhouse and makes note of the empty farmhouse for his files and walks back outside to the Chief and the wrecker driver and wrecker.  The wrecker driver will give him a lift back to Boston when he takes the Challenger back with him.

The Build

I got the Charger into a good coat of Testors White Lacquer Primer.  Some sanding and then a coat of Model Master Hemi Orange.

SRT8SB07.JPG

SRT8SB08.JPG

SRT8SB09.JPG

Edited by mrmike

The Story

Upon his return to Boston, McNally stops at the BPD Forensics Lab and talks to Technician Robert Parken.  He asks if Bob can look for prints and anything else about the bullet and the shell casing that he has brought in.  Bob asks if these pieces are connected to a current BPD case and McNally tells him that they are not.  Looking at McNally in the eye, Bob asks, "What's in it for me?"  "My gracing the hallowed Halls of Forensics is not enough?"  Bob replies, "Nope!  I'll look at it when I get a chance.  Right now, I'm very busy."

McNally goes upstairs to talk with his friend Lt. Det. Adam Troy.  He tells Adam about the pieces he has in Forensics and if Adam could influence the techs to take a quick look at them.  Adam replies that they are rather busy and it could take a while before they can be looked at.  Boston Police Dept. cases come first and he will talk to the techs.

The Build

There is a splitter/spoiler that is not used on this kit.  I decided to add it to the front fasca.  The Hemi engine is coming along.  I've got a lot of parts painted and drying.

McNally will return...

SRT8SB10.JPG

SRT8SB11.JPG

SRT8SB12.JPG

Edited by mrmike

Thanks Jeremy!

The Story

McNally leaves BPD Headquarters and heads for the T Bus Stop.  He takes the bus to Vic's Sales & Service to see if Vic has another ride for him.  He tells Vic about his Challenger getting shot up and that the car is undriveable and probably junk.  After looking through his computer inventory, all he has are small and medium size sedan econoboxes.  He will look through the New England area for another car for his friend.

McNally returns home to get his Father's '57 Ford Custom 300 out of the garage and his cellphone rings.  It's Vic saying that he found a 2010 Dodge Charger SRT8 Super Bee and does McNally want to see it.  He says yes and when can he see the car.  Vic says the car will be at the dealership early tomorrow afternoon as it is currently in Hyannis, Ma.  McNally will see Vic tomorrow at 2:00 PM.

The Build

I got the Hemi completed with the exception of touchups and decals.  The Hemi in the chassis.  What are these two little things?  These were X'd out on the instruction sheet.  They are Super Bees for the front fenders!  I chromed them and will try to paint them yellow and black when they are dry.  How did Lindberg miss these?

McNally will return...

SRT8SB13.JPG

SRT8SB14.JPG

SRT8SB15.JPG

I'm also following the story and the build. I owned a '10 Charger RT and thought about adding the front spoiler since mine didn't have it. The factory design wasn't a splitter style but more of a first gen Camaro affair but it looked good. Is the splitter going to be black or body colored ? 

David, the front splitter/spoiler will be body colored.

The Story

That following afternoon, McNally arrives at Vic's Sales & Service in his father's '57 Ford 300 aka Spearmint.  He and Vic walk down to the garage to check out the Charger Super Bee that is parked in one of the service bays.  Hemi Orange with black graphics, black interior with a Hemi engine, full power, A/C, and an automatic transmission.  This car has only 62,000 miles on the clock and it looks brand new.  "A little bright for sleuthing, don't ya think," says McNally with a smile on his face.

Vic smiles and he says, "It should be faster than a speeding bullet."  Vic slaps a magnetic dealer plate on the car and McNally takes it out for a spin.  Acceleration is simular to the Challenger even though its a larger car and stopping and handling is very good.  He drives the Charger Super Bee back to Vic's and he parks it in the same service bay.  "I'll take it," he tells Vic and they both go p to Vic's office to discuss terms.

The Build

I painted the Charger Super Bee this afternoon with Model Master Hemi Orange Lacquer.  Thank you Rust-oleum for the three cans you sent when I ask for one!

McNally will return...

SRT8SB16.JPG

SRT8SB17.JPG

SRT8SB18.JPG

Thanks for the heads up, John!  This is my third Charger and I don't recall having those issues when I built mine.  I will keep an eye out for it.  I usually crack the windshield since it isn't as curved as the windshield header.

On 11/24/2019 at 5:12 PM, heyjohnxx said:

My "cursed" Charger is almost done. Watch out for the fit of the interior near the A pillars. Mine was stubborn there and kept the front of the chassis from fitting properly. Minor trimming with an Xacto was needed. (And CA glue and NSFW words!)

Thanks for the warning. I have a police version to build myself, which will be an unmarked/retired unit.

Charlie Larkin

The Story

McNally and Vic conclude their business and walk out to the back of his shop to look at the Challenger.  They pull the tarp off the car and Vic just shakes his head at the damage caused by the automatic gunfire.  Three tires flat and everything else just plain shot up.  "Let's keep this as is until the insurance adjuster looks at it," says McNally.  Vic agrees as McNally prys open the trunk to get his equipment bag out.  At least this wasn't shot up from sitting towards the back of the trunk under the rear deck where the extra metal helped to deflect the bullets.

They cover up the Challenger and walk back to service bay to the Super Bee.  McNally places his equipment bag up between the wheels wells and closes the trunk.  "Bring the dealer plate back after you get the car registered.  I'll throw on the inspection sticker afterwards."  McNally agrees as he gets into the Super Bee, starts it and drives out of the garage and off to the Registry.

The Build

Modifying the front suspension was easy.  I cut the spindles off and raised them 1/8th inch up on the struts.  The rear suspension will be much more difficult.  The diffential is mount directly to the floor pan and there is no real way to lower the suspension.  My solution is to cut the axle pins off the rear axle and glue the pins to the floor pan.  I drew out the cuts in pencil.  I marked the tip of the axle pin with a pencil and where I would mount the pin after the cut.    For now, this is my plan for the rear suspension, but I will keep investigating for a better way to do this.

McNally will return...

SRT8SB19.JPG

SRT8SB20.JPG

SRT8SB21.JPG

The Story

McNally finishes installing the plates on his new Charger Super Bee.  He goes inside the house to start his supper and he sits down at the kitchen table to eat.  Part way his meal and the door bell rings and when he opens the front door, Lt. Det. Adam Troy is standing there.  "Got a beer?"  He invites Adam in and he grabs a Sam Adams Light from the fridge for Adam.  

McNally pulls the bottle cap off and hands the beer to Adam who says, "Trade ya!"  Adam hands him the Forensics report to McNally who sits at the table and reads it.  The bullet and casing are a match to being fired from the same type of gun...an assault rifle possibly a Colt AR 15, 7.62X15 147 grain copper jacketed bullet and the casing is the same type.   Adam takes big sips of the beer as McNally is reading the report and he says, "I'm happy to get you these Forensic reports and such, but I can't do this all the time.  Don't make a habit out of it."  McNally replies, "Thank you Adam, I really appreciate this!" 

The Build

I decided to go a different route on lowering the rear suspension by sanding the bottom of the rear differential and opening the mounting holes wider.  This brought the rear suspension down about 1/16th inch.  I have to watch how low I go with this so I don't bottom out the tire on the wheel well.  I am using a piece of photoetch for the grille, so I spaced out the grille with some pieces of sheet styrene to make up for the thickness of the kit grille insert.  My photoetch grille insert is painted with Testors Flat Black Lacquer and shaped to fit the grille cover.

McNally will return...

SRT8SB22.JPG

SRT8SB23.JPG

SRT8SB24.JPG

The Story

McNally goes back into the house and into his office to look at the file again.  He remembers when he had stopped at Paul Dundy’s house to question him about the old farmhouse.  He remembers seeing a business card on the kitchen table from a gun shop that had silhouettes of a rifle and a handgun on it.   What gun shop? 

He sits back in his chair and thinks.  It was a gun shop near Boston.  Bell something or was it Bull?  No, Bulverde Guns and Firing Range!  He looks up the number and the address for the gun shop and writes it down.  

The computer lists a website and that the business had closed over 30 minutes ago at 7 PM.  He’ll stop and pay them a visit in the morning.  For now, he will peruse the website which really didn’t do anything for him for a few minutes.

The Build

This has been something I have been comtemplating for a few days.  This afternoon, I got brave and took out my cordless Dremel and small round grinding but and removed the backing for the lower grille and brake ducts.  I think it came out pretty good!   I still have more of the P/E mesh from the grille to use.

More Charger to come...

SRT8SB25.JPG

SRT8SB26.JPG

SRT8SB27.JPG