Model Cars Magazine Forum

56 Ford Gasser started

Johnt671

More done. It looks like I can fit the blown SOHC motor in with some work. I sanded the chrome strips off the body, and found a hood scoop in the AMT 66 Nova Bill Jenkins kit, and also will use the traction bars from that  kit since they're the only one I have on hand. I need to go back to browsing some resin castes for supplies.

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

De-chromed and primed. I tried semi gloss black on the hood and doors, but it's too shiney, so I'll stick with flat black. I'm not crazy about the traction bars, so I'll work on making them look better or find another pair. I forgot to work on the huge gap at the drivers side vent window, so after stripping I'll take care of that.

IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 10:03 AM, MeatMan said:

Nice project! 56 was a very good year!

On 12/1/2019 at 12:00 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Cool project!  The doors on this kit and the '57 Ford are a bit wonky.  It would be best to replace them with wire hinges.  That's what I'll do on the next one of either year I attempt.

Thanks. Tom, I've studied on making door hinges, but I haven't worked up the nerve to try it yet.

I have have a couple of pictures of progress but my computer has been slow for a week now

I made a poor choice of primer so even though I had the white part of the body painted,  the finish was still rough. I wet sanded the primer, and the final coat was too rough to get smooth with out cutting into the body so now the whole thing is in a brake fluid bath.

A little bit of progress. I got the traction bars looking a little better, but just a few minutes ago found the kit bars that will fit better. Seat choice is painted. Two steps forward, five back.

IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I stripped it but I had to wait a week and a half for the rain to stop so I could start repainting it. I did the white on the trunk and roof pretty heavy, and a couple of light coats on the rest of the body before I do the rest of the body.

The other traction bars look much better and are closer to the 1:1 then the first ones did. i'm letting the white dry until Wednesday before I mask the white off and paint the flat black. Also just flocked the interior today.

IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I really messed up the two tone paint job and stripped it twice trying to get it right. No matter how hard I tried pressing the Tamiya masking tape down it still seeped and I couldn't get a neat line on the curve of the roof, so I gave up and painted it all flat black. The windows and dash are in and I'm working on a roll bar.

IMG_0602.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0643.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

More pictures. Almost done. I need to hunt up some decals now. Any tips on the headlights? I built them the way the instructions show but the body fender cap doesn't fit right and it looks looks all bug eyed.

IMG_0660.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

Edited by Johnt671
  • Like 1

I'm really disappointed in the way this turned out, so I gave up and just slapped it together. I had the doors lined up fine and opening good, so I put the interior in and the chassis on and things went downhill fast. I tried to make the googled eyed head light look better, but no lunck I started to put the grill on and somehow the windshield popped loose, and the doors were wonky. I wasn't about to take it all apart again, so I pushed it in place and found the doors were wacky. I glued the doors shut and called it finished. I really wanted this one to turn out nice, but it wasn't in the cards. Maybe some day I'll take it apart and give it another shot, but most likely it will be a parts car.

IMG_0666.JPG

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0670.JPG

IMG_0671.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

That would be too neat. I talked to you a bit at Kulpmont and saw the car at another show and took more pictures of it. I shocked at both shows because my Fiero got a trophy at both shows. Maybe your my good luck talisman.

I tried to do the white parts of the car but I'm no good at masking. Anyway you have a nice ride.