Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iamsuperdan

Military Aircraft decals?

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone,

I don't normally build planes. Haven't built a plane kit since junior high, so 1987-ish, give or take.

Since my dad passed last March, I have sort of inherited his modelling stash, and all he built were planes and ships. 

Instead of selling them all, I'm going to try something different and build a couple. Who knows...I might be good at this stuff!

 

Anyway, the first one I'm going to try out is Hasegawa's 1/72 CF-104 Starfighter. I might build it as the RCAF version as suggested on the box, but I may also build an alternate RCAF version.

Anyone have a good source for aftermarket aircraft decals?

This is the version I like. 

104839_LWD_22apr76_ViaHenryWeterholtX-960x470.jpg.e6bd144cddea313c4b0b29fdb130e237.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might want to look elsewhere...this is a forum for model cars etc.

Edited by BigTallDad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BigTallDad said:

You might want to look elsewhere...this is a forum for model cars etc.

Yeah, we have a section called "All The Rest" and many here build other subject matters. 

🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Vietnam Vet67 said:

This is who I deal with. Great stuff!

https://www.hobbylinc.com/plastic-model-aircraft-decals

 

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Join Hyperscale and post that pic and I'll bet someone will know the exact sheet. In fact, someone might offer to GIVE you those decals if they have them and aren't using them. 

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/plane-talking-hyperscale-s-aircraft-scale-model-di-f149674/

 

 

Thanks guys! Will do some more searching tonight.

On a side note, I find it ironic that Starfighter declas do not make decals for a Starfighter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BigTallDad said:

You might want to look elsewhere...this is a forum for model cars etc.

You might want to go to the hardware store and pick up a attitude checker, I hear they're on sale. Dan, there is a forum called ARC,.      http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php. Give them a try.

Edited by Classicgas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BigTallDad said:

You might want to look elsewhere...this is a forum for model cars etc.

Oddly, the heads at the top of the page don't specify cars: 

Model Building Questions and Answers

Do you have a specific modeling question? Wondering how to...? Need help? Suggestions? Looking for answers? Ask here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leading Edge and Belcher Bits decals are definitely worthwhile products to use. I've never used Canuck Decals, so I can't comment on their qualities, good or bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BigTallDad said:

I guess I misunderstood

 

Yeah, you did.

 

Questions section is NOT subject specific.

0001.JPG.abb4bd47bd418efb367674c5be815e9c.JPG

 

And we have a section that specifically mentions planes.

 

0002.JPG.bfe6d01ebfae76cc0c4f573ba975ebdd.JPG

 

 

 

 

Thanks everyone that were able to be helpful! :) The exact one I want doesn't appear to exist, but there are a couple that are really close. Plus, it looks like custom making them might be an option.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to my references, the aircraft you wish to build was one of the competitors at the 1976 Tactical Weapons Meet, held in Twenthe, Holland. The scheme is the standard green of the time (Canadian paint code 503-322-not easily translated into the common FS 595 paint codes) with the white tip tanks. If you can't source the Carmichael sheet, the Belcher Bits sheet will get you most of the way, though you would need to create the white/ red tip tanks and rudder on your own. I do have some clearer pics, so let me know if you need some scans sent your way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

This appears to be the version you're looking for, from Carmichael Decals. Currently on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CF-104-CANADIAN-STARFIGHTER-CAF-I-CAG-CARMICHAEL-DECALS-1-72-/303015201650

 

 

You sir, are fantastic.

Thanks for that link, will be taking care of this shortly.

The kit in the pic is even the same number as this image I've saved.

CF-104_104762_1CAG_markings.jpg.2440f902306392b7f6beb0ec9f777958.jpg

 

29 minutes ago, 64Comet404 said:

According to my references, the aircraft you wish to build was one of the competitors at the 1976 Tactical Weapons Meet, held in Twenthe, Holland. The scheme is the standard green of the time (Canadian paint code 503-322-not easily translated into the common FS 595 paint codes) with the white tip tanks. If you can't source the Carmichael sheet, the Belcher Bits sheet will get you most of the way, though you would need to create the white/ red tip tanks and rudder on your own. I do have some clearer pics, so let me know if you need some scans sent your way. 

Thanks for that! If you have some more pics of this one, that would be great! I have a few, but the more reference, the better! You can PM me, or I can PM you my email if that's easier.

 

:)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a challenging green to match, Canadian zips usually showed a weathered finish, thought IIRC that one was maintained . Did the kit not have those decals?

Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

You sir, are fantastic.

Thanks for that link, will be taking care of this shortly.

The kit in the pic is even the same number as this image I've saved.

CF-104_104762_1CAG_markings.jpg.2440f902306392b7f6beb0ec9f777958.jpg

 

Thanks for that! If you have some more pics of this one, that would be great! I have a few, but the more reference, the better! You can PM me, or I can PM you my email if that's easier.

 

:)

 

PM me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dmthamade said:

That's a challenging green to match, Canadian zips usually showed a weathered finish, thought IIRC that one was maintained . Did the kit not have those decals?

Don

No, the kit only came with the decals for the standard RCAF version; bare aluminum fuselage with white wings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 11:34 PM, iamsuperdan said:

Hey everyone,

I don't normally build planes. Haven't built a plane kit since junior high, so 1987-ish, give or take.

Since my dad passed last March, I have sort of inherited his modelling stash, and all he built were planes and ships. 

Instead of selling them all, I'm going to try something different and build a couple. Who knows...I might be good at this stuff!

 

Anyway, the first one I'm going to try out is Hasegawa's 1/72 CF-104 Starfighter. I might build it as the RCAF version as suggested on the box, but I may also build an alternate RCAF version.

Anyone have a good source for aftermarket aircraft decals?

This is the version I like. 

104839_LWD_22apr76_ViaHenryWeterholtX-960x470.jpg.e6bd144cddea313c4b0b29fdb130e237.jpg

Hyperscale, aircraft resource center, cybermodeler, modeling madness.  Scalemates is an encyclopedia for modeling, every kit and aftermarket item available, including cars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

 

16 hours ago, stevez said:

Hyperscale, aircraft resource center, cybermodeler, modeling madness.  Scalemates is an encyclopedia for modeling, every kit and aftermarket item available, including cars. 

 

Thank you both!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2019 at 1:46 PM, Mike999 said:

This appears to be the version you're looking for, from Carmichael Decals. Currently on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CF-104-CANADIAN-STARFIGHTER-CAF-I-CAG-CARMICHAEL-DECALS-1-72-/303015201650

 

 

Thanks again for finding that!

 

Look what arrived in the mail today. :)

 

Now I just need to match the green, or at the very least, get really close to it. 

 

20191126_093430.thumb.jpg.04069dcc285372cd10900b79df2bb0c7.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...